DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
Hey all---

I have a JLUS currently running 35's. I have a MC 2.5" Lift with the Rocksports. I have also recently upgraded my steering components (Tie-Rod / Drag Link) to Steer Smarts with Nexus TS SS.

I have the stock 3.45 Gears and so far have not been able to do any real trails (small kids / work) so the gears have been great for daily commute (18 mpg average).

I want to slowly make my Sport more capable and moderately trail worthy especially in a year or two when i jump to 37's.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I do not want to rubicon take offs as there are width differences and my current steering setup was purchased for Non Rubicon (shorter)
  • I do not want to spend money on my Dana30 Front Axle's.
    • could buy new axle shafts which would eventually go into upgraded axle's
  • I can upgrade my rear at anytime and possibly get some takeoff Sport axles (LS or Manual) which are 44's and shorter.
  • at the time i would re-gear to 4.88
  • ProRock 44's would be my ideal setup and like i mentioned if i get axle shaft ahead of time it can just be used in my ProRock build.
I really don't think i would be needing anything else to make this capable and robust for a long time.

Am i crazy, missing something....
Sponsored

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all---

I have a JLUS currently running 35's. I have a MC 2.5" Lift with the Rocksports. I have also recently upgraded my steering components (Tie-Rod / Drag Link) to Steer Smarts with Nexus TS SS.

I have the stock 3.45 Gears and so far have not been able to do any real trails (small kids / work) so the gears have been great for daily commute (18 mpg average).

I want to slowly make my Sport more capable and moderately trail worthy especially in a year or two when i jump to 37's.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I do not want to rubicon take offs as there are width differences and my current steering setup was purchased for Non Rubicon (shorter)
  • I do not want to spend money on my Dana30 Front Axle's.
    • could buy new axle shafts which would eventually go into upgraded axle's
  • I can upgrade my rear at anytime and possibly get some takeoff Sport axles (LS or Manual) which are 44's and shorter.
  • at the time i would re-gear to 4.88
  • ProRock 44's would be my ideal setup and like i mentioned if i get axle shaft ahead of time it can just be used in my ProRock build.
I really don't think i would be needing anything else to make this capable and robust for a long time.

Am i crazy, missing something....
Just do this…
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me plan for the future - JLUS 1623187645754

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you want off-road capable, lockers will make the biggest difference. A lunchbox locker in the front especially. Best 250.00 you'll spend.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Have you already reached the full capability of the Sport as it sits? From what I've read most people underestimate the capabilities of a mostly stock Wrangler with decent tires and a mild lift or even stock suspension.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no i haven't come even close really to maximize the Sports potential / capability... but i want to set this up for now and the future and make it capable of running 37's no problem.

I do not plan on "executing" this plan for a year or so... but want to get everything setup and ready and REALLLY make the best choices. I know this will be expensive, but I don't plan on doing CRAZY trails and running anything over 37's really so i do not see a need for anything bigger than 44's.

Also... since i have time and am planning i can buy things as specials come out...example- just took advantage of Warn Tax-Free incentive on winches and saved a few 100 bucks. So if i can build a list i can scourer the classified, vendors, etc. for whatever deals come about...

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Factory Dana 44's have many weak points. Going aftermarket with the axles gives you a ton more strength. The flip side to that is cost. Take offs are cheap. Aftermarket axles aren't.

What's more important to you? Strength or cost?

OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
strength all day.

Is this even the case for the rear axle? I always planned on upgrading the front axle to aftermarket.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Depends on which rear axle you have. The M200 rear axle isn't as strong as the bigger M220.

The M220 will hold up a lot better than the M200. The M220 will handle 37's just fine unless you beat on the Jeep.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t plan on going past moderate trails with AT level traction where traction is the parts breaker at heavy throttle. After seeing the hell YouTube channel JL LIFE Offroad put the front next gen 30 through for a over a year rock crawling, I should be good with RCV’s and 4.56’s and 35’s. Their stock axles didn’t twist until 37’s.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on which rear axle you have. The M200 rear axle isn't as strong as the bigger M220.

The M220 will hold up a lot better than the M200. The M220 will handle 37's just fine unless you beat on the Jeep.

thats my idea on the back axle and can do that anytime in anticipation of the front axle install (i think). So i will be on the lookout for some M220 for my rear end. Anything i can do to that M220 to make it more robust and capable. Again, don't plan on going bigger than 37's.

OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t plan on going past moderate trails with AT level traction where traction is the parts breaker at heavy throttle. After seeing the hell YouTube channel JL LIFE Offroad put the front next gen 30 through for a over a year rock crawling, I should be good with RCV’s and 4.56’s and 35’s. Their stock axles didn’t twist until 37’s.
agreed on the above with 35's, but once my tire change is up (prob another 18 months) i plan on putting on 37's. Good thing is i have the suspension on steering to handle it... but i want to make sure my axle components are good to go... and want to plan out all the options...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Side note. The M200 can be beefed up too like I did. It accepts the M220 standard width Yukon axles with an Ox locker differential that also let me upgrade to 32 splines like the 44’s have. You could also just upgrade the axles but I don’t think that would be as effective. I’d say the weakest part would be the pinion area but I don’t imagine I’ll EVER break it. While the pumpkins are different, the tubes are the same as Rubicons.

Maybe down the line I will question what I am doing now but seeing as I never plan on going past 35 inch tires and Dana Spicer says the max recommended tire was a 35 for very light off-roading with the 186/200 axles…if I upgrade the axle shafts, I should be good for moderate trails. Especially keeping the front differential an open differential.

Oh well, it’s only money if I’m making a mistake. Everything can be fixed. By the way, I also like the fact that the front and rear axles are lighter which should help keep performance everywhere.

OP
OP

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side note. The M200 can be beefed up too like I did. It accepts the M220 standard width Yukon axles with an Ox locker differential that also let me upgrade to 32 splines like the 44’s have. You could also just upgrade the axles but I don’t think that would be as effective. I’d say the weakest part would be the pinion area but I don’t imagine I’ll EVER break it. While the pumpkins are different, the tubes are the same as Rubicons.

Maybe down the line I will question what I am doing now but seeing as I never plan on going past 35 inch tires and Dana Spicer says the max recommended tire was a 35 for very light off-roading with the 186/200 axles…if I upgrade the axle shafts, I should be good for moderate trails. Especially keeping the front differential an open differential.

Oh well, it’s only money if I’m making a mistake. Everything can be fixed. By the way, I also like the fact that the front and rear axles are lighter which should help keep performance everywhere.

i like your thinking! I am also interested in experimenting a bit and seeing what can be done. I live in South Florida so any "real" wheeling will require road trips which would be done 1 or 2 times a year so i want the best blend of daily performance and offroad capability.

tried looking up that yukon axle but had no luck... interesting idea...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
i like your thinking! I am also interested in experimenting a bit and seeing what can be done. I live in South Florida so any "real" wheeling will require road trips which would be done 1 or 2 times a year so i want the best blend of daily performance and offroad capability.

tried looking up that yukon axle but had no luck... interesting idea...
Randy’s Worldwide gave me all of the rebuild part numbers, Yukon numbers, said all the bearing and seal part numbers were the same as a 44/M220, and I got the M200 locker with 32 splines from Ox Locker. I went with the hybrid electric/~36” cable actuated locker setup.

The axle shafts between the 200 and standard width 220 are equal length btw, unlike the wide M220.

Another way to say it is that the only reason an M200 axle shaft would not go into an M220 axle it’s because the splines are wrong.
Sponsored