Sponsored

Help me plan a 11 1/2 month Jeep camping trip Michigan to the Mexico boarder to Dead Horse Alaska and back

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ok…..

this has ZERO to do with off-roading but…. While you are in colorado, why not drive the highest paved road in North America? Mt. Evans. It will take you to about 14.1k feet with very variable weather (plan ahead). Reservations required but fairly easy to obtain on short notice. Also consider a (paved) drive/hike inside Garden of the Gods in Colorado springs. stunning.

As you head North to Alaska, (I will ignore Yellowstone and glacier as you likely know all that already), consider Burgess Junction Wyoming there Are amazingly pretty off-road areas there (and one place to buy gas if you’re lucky). Also Shell Canyon in Wyoming is stunning. Do: devils tower and little Bighorn battlefield. Both are really interesting.

as you are bumping around California, consider Death Valley. It is one of my favorite places because it is so effing weird (geologically). pick-up Rhyolite ghost town (google it) while there (Head into Beatty, NV for lunch if you wish). Also, take your rig out to Sailing stones, camp the night, and take some amazing images at sunrise during magic hour.

I think that you already thought of valley of Fire SP in NV. It’s amazing too as is Red Rock Canyon just east of Las Vegas.

garden of the Gods

40A16070-55CC-4D53-BBBB-08A168BE9790.jpeg

Red rock Canyon (Vegas)
959481CF-CEA1-4662-AD80-83075639BA53.jpeg

Death Valley sand dunes
0AC3731D-1AAE-4F3E-873B-666E0E8FAEA7.jpeg
Big thanks for the input. We have done Death Valley a couple times but will do it again. We have done Red Rock Canyon and wheeled out the back side of it over the Pass. Done Garden of the Gods and love it. and the Valley of fire love it a couple times. Still plan to do them as some of the others have not done these places and they are not to be missed.

done devils tower and little Bighorn battlefield in the past, but the others may want to see these too.

I have added Rhyolite ghost town, Beatty, NV for lunch and Sailing Stone camp.

A tip of the day for Dash Valley if coming from or to California over the mountains..... Look up General Sherman's Pass. I brings you out by Hot Springs California and is a great drive. We have done it on motorcycles and convertible cars. It is all black top, but a great drive over the mountains.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
If you're going to check out valley of fire, head a little bit further north to Logandale. Great trail system from beginner to hard core levels, amazing scenery. Great small farm town.
Logandale NV for trails. Added to the list. Big thanks. Looks like some great wheeling.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I am sure you have already....
But.. double check on weapon laws in Canada. I believe only long guns (or even just shot guns) are allowed.
Also check for conceal carry reciprocity laws in the US.. not only in the states you will be staying in, but also traveling through.
I know you are a 2nd amendment guy so I wanted to throw that out there.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Camp between Little Wildhorse and Goblin Valley, south side of the road next to the hoodoos. All BLM, many campsites there.

If you're there, you might as well keep going into the San Rafael Swell. Red's Canyon Loop and Hidden Splendor are beautiful and mellow but can be treacherous after rain. Camping at the end of Hidden Splendor, end of the Tomsich Butte Uranium mine spur, and at the Lucky Strike Mine.

An exciting way out of the Swell is Eagle Canyon but it's likely too treacherous for the trailers. Especially Eva Conover between the two crossings of I-70. The first time you cross under I-70 you'll have 250ft of headroom. The second time you cross under I-70, just inches on top and sides. Research it first and make your own call.

When in the Swell, pay close attention to gas management. Nearest gas is Hanksville and Green River. Neither of which are nearby.
Great tips. I will add these to the list.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
A NorCal > OR > WA trip I did some yers ago was one of my all-time favorites. Started at Marin Headlands. Muir Beach. Mt. Tamalpais. Point Reyes National Seashore (we may have started our family there; we almost named our firstborn Reyes as an inside joke). King Range Conservation Area. Mt. Shasta. Redwoods / Jedidiah Smith. Rogue River. Bandon Dunes. Mt Jefferson / South Sister / Mt Bachelor. Deschuttes River (and brewery!). Tillamook. Cannon Beach. Columbia River Gorge. Mt. Hood. Mt. St. Helens. Olympic Peninsula. Lost my passport along the way so I had to stop short of Vancouver Island BC.

I'm very jealous of you - this is a well earned trip, no doubt. I would do anything to be young, childless and unburdened by responsibility again. But I'd settle for just the latter two at this point.
Adding these to the list. Big thanks.

I have rode motorcycle for the entire Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood, Mt St. Helens and Mt. Rainer, Tillamook and the coast of Oregon. Still adding it to the list as the others need to see all the things you added. I have not seen the one that I did not mention and they are now on the list.

I am lucky that my kids are all grown and self sufficient and are drama and cause us zero stress. We are pretty much unburdened and able to do just about what ever we want with in reason. Short story, we planned well executed the plan and trying to live the best life possible within our means.

Thanks again. I would not want to be young again. I am health and have no intreats in the stress that comes with being young again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I am sure you have already....
But.. double check on weapon laws in Canada. I believe only long guns (or even just shot guns) are allowed.
Also check for conceal carry reciprocity laws in the US.. not only in the states you will be staying in, but also traveling through.
I know you are a 2nd amendment guy so I wanted to throw that out there.
Yup I am aware of the hassles of traveling with guns. We are preparing to jump through the hoops for Canada. We will most likely take a couple shot guns and or a lever action rifle. I have friends that own some guns stores, and they will ship our handguns to a fellow gun shop owner for us to pick up in Alaska and send them home the same way. From my research transporting a handgun is just too much of a hassle and not worth the potential legal hoops that we would have to jump through.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Yup I am aware of the hassles of traveling with guns. We are preparing to jump through the hoops for Canada. We will most likely take a couple shot guns and or a lever action rifle. I have friends that own some guns stores, and they will ship our handguns to a fellow gun shop owner for us to pick up in Alaska and send them home the same way. From my research transporting a handgun is just too much of a hassle and not worth the potential legal hoops that we would have to jump through.
Cool, sounds like you've got it covered.

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I saw you already have Alabama Hills on your list. I was there today. Very cool area with mild wheeling.

On 395 we just did North to South
-Dirt roads from Bridgeport to Bodie ghost town via two abandoned mines
-Mono Lake
-June Lake loop
-Mammoth Lakes / Devils Postpile
-Convict Lake
-Crowley Lake rock columns
-Alabama Hills
-Mt Whitney portal
PM me if you are interested in any of the above

Tomorrow we head North to wheel with my cousin for 3 days

5525531F-93AE-40EE-926F-8D42320AE399.jpeg

B105B790-6EDC-41AB-AA71-6AFB1DAB8CA7.jpeg

90F3CCB4-4674-43E5-8850-B9D39100965A.jpeg

A842693A-4507-4945-B2FA-34540D5EA2D1.jpeg

C9205826-D998-4918-8259-445329E9D52C.jpeg

B0CC113D-CC1B-40B5-B18B-DC7FDE071AC7.jpeg

1A14614F-150A-4003-A28C-7D65C1D08CE2.jpeg

4985C4BA-F1ED-4306-B37F-2A1FA9164AF0.jpeg

FADE0B7B-5079-4459-938C-91B12F8A0C86.jpeg

E24E7AFE-2444-4FEF-A763-ECEF6C200D9A.jpeg

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sounds like you've got a lot of fantastic ideas and plans... Now I'm depressed realizing how uneventful and mundane my Jeep life has been....😢
I look forward to seeing pics and taking the trip vicariously through you.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
We don't have much planned for Texas other that Prade Island and Big Benn NP. We have already done Galveston Island a few years ago. Will the weather be okay in January to float the river? The Natural Bridge caverns looks awesome.
We just made a pass through Big Bend today to pick up the Black Gap Road BoH. The road was noticeably worse than it was a year ago so you might want to drop off the trailer to run it.

Also, If you’re planning to camp in the park I’d suggest you try to find a more Northern site away from the border. We came across three who needed water which we provided and then a ride home from the border patrol. With all the focus on the easier border crossings I’m afraid that kind of traffic through the park might increase as it cools down.

I wouldn’t try floating the river in January.

I’ve heard camping on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) is rough with all the sand and wind. Before we had a Jeep we stayed a couple of times at the KOA down there. They even had a dock and deep sea fishing boat right there.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
We just made a pass through Big Bend today to pick up the Black Gap Road BoH. The road was noticeably worse than it was a year ago so you might want to drop off the trailer to run it.

Also, If you’re planning to camp in the park I’d suggest you try to find a more Northern site away from the border. We came across three who needed water which we provided and then a ride home from the border patrol. With all the focus on the easier border crossings I’m afraid that kind of traffic through the park might increase as it cools down.

I wouldn’t try floating the river in January.

I’ve heard camping on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) is rough with all the sand and wind. Before we had a Jeep we stayed a couple of times at the KOA down there. They even had a dock and deep sea fishing boat right there.

WE typically drop the trailers and set up base camp anyways. As far as the Island goes, we will deal with the wind and sand. Just so we can be on the ocean for a night or two. We do not plan to spend a lot of time along the boarder, more just so we can say that we went from the Mexico boarder to Dead Horse Alaska.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
I have added Widhorse canyon and goblin valley to the list. We have already ran all the badge trails in Colorada in previous adventures, but I would like to do Imogene pass again though.
This sounds like a stellar trip! Read most of the comments but not sure if Baja was mentioned. There are some beautiful secret spots down there if you want to escape the cold for some time too.
Imogene opened 6/25 this season so you might get lucky towards the end of June if you keep an eye on 1) CO winter weather this year 2)the facebook group San Juan Mountain Trail Group & San Miguel county colorado road and bridge page. They'll give you the best up-to-date info. as well as bushducks. If anything just run it up to where it's open. End of July 2019 it still wasn't open during FJ summit but it was cleared to poser rock so most went there and then turned back.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Sounds like an amazing adventure, the central Sierra's have some great trails off highway 4. Slick rock, deer valley, etc. Great camping, fishing, and lakes in the area. Shaver lake area has some great trails all around. I think you've already done the Dusy-Ershim, but swap lake, brewer lake, etc are awesome too. Fordyce if you want to run a really tough trail near the Rubicon.
Sponsored