Sponsored

Help me not get ripped off please! Regearing advice needed!!

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have a 2019 JLU Sahara with 35x12.5 Nitto Trailgrapplers and a 2.5” BDS Lift with Fox Shocks. Also have a steel front bumper with warm winch. I am considering regearing from my current 3.45 set up to 4.56.

I have received two quotes so far. One is from a shop I have dealt with in Madison, WI for $3,645 and the other is from a shop in Kenosha, Wi (2 hours away from me) for $2,300. I have pasted the quotes below.

Here are the questions I have:

-Are there certain brands of gears I should avoid or are their “tried and true” brand names?

- Is this regear process something that can seriously screwed up? How do you select a shop to trust? Both shops have good Google reviews and one shop has been recommended on this board - CNC Offroad. I just haven’t worked with them before. The shop I have worked with here in Madison, Wi has a loyal local following.

- Both shops recommended that I consider installing a limited slip rear differential if they will “be in there doing the work” anyways. What do you think of that? Extra cost there is roughly $675. Worth it?

- Both shops also said I would need to reprogram the CPU after the regear and I could consider a Flashcal to get additional power. Thoughts there? Worth it or do these “muck up” a system.

Big picture I would like the Jeep to have more torque, like it had when it was stock. Do you think this regear project would be noticeable?

I just don’t know what questions to ask and is it’s worth the multiple trips to a shop that is 2 hours away from me to save the $1,300 above...or if I should stick with the shop that did my lift and tire mod who I have experience with. The multiple trips are...1 drop off to regear and the 2 come back for fluid change 500 miles later.

$1,300 is a big difference. I don’t understand why I am seeing this large difference - could the products be different that are installing or is it mainly service fees? Not sure what to ask so I can evaluate the differences.

80% of my driving is on road and 20% is light to medium off road. No rock crawling.

thank you so much for this boards expertise!!

3EC97424-607E-43A5-812F-97DABE2FA2FA.jpeg

55DA9049-945E-47D9-AD54-D1B4D08B3312.jpeg
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
With regards to the re-programming for the new gear ratio, that’s an absolute must.

My advice is to use the shop that is the cheapest and stands by their work (trustworthy). I drove an hour away to have mine done not just because @chevymitchell was cheaper but he does great work and stands by it all. More expensive does not always mean better.

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Do yourself a favor and give Badgerland Offroad in Elkhorn, WI a call. They are personal friends and will do you right. They are worth a third quote for sure.

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Do yourself a favor and give Badgerland Offroad in Elkhorn, WI a call. They are personal friends and will do you right. They are worth a third quote for sure.
Thank you and who should I say referred me?
Can you comment on my questions above too please so I have some guidance there? Thanks!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I charge 2k for a regear with dana spicer parts which are oem. Also can program the computer for $75 with my laptop

were In Texas though. I’d suggest 4.88 too

brett

Sponsored

pixeldecals

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixeldecals.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Thank you and who should I say referred me?
Can you comment on my questions above too please so I have some guidance there? Thanks!
Don from pixeldecals, I visit their shop quite often to install decals and such.

I am a fan of Revolution gears, and that is what I have in my Gladiator. I know that Yukon, Motive and Nitro are also well respected.

Yes it can be screwed up, I would certainly want a ship that works on a lot of Jeeps and JL/JT specifically which I know Badgerland does.

I would not bother with a limited slip. If you are going to change the carrier go for a selectable locker like an Eaton E-Locker or an ARB Air Locker, otherwise run them open until you can afford that.

You will need to program your Jeep for the change, I would recommend a Tazer product.

I also agree, don't bother with 4.56. Go to 4.88

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Don from pixeldecals, I visit their shop quite often to install decals and such.

I am a fan of Revolution gears, and that is what I have in my Gladiator. I know that Yukon, Motive and Nitro are also well respected.

Yes it can be screwed up, I would certainly want a ship that works on a lot of Jeeps and JL/JT specifically which I know Badgerland does.

I would not bother with a limited slip. If you are going to change the carrier go for a selectable locker like an Eaton E-Locker or an ARB Air Locker, otherwise run them open until you can afford that.

You will need to program your Jeep for the change, I would recommend a Tazer product.

I also agree, don't bother with 4.56. Go to 4.88
Do you have an idea what their quote would be - ballpark?

Also why 4.88 vs 4.56?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Also if you do not plan to go to 37s down the road, go with the 4.88 gear ratio. I think you will regret the 4.56 gears. If you plan on going to 37s, then get the 5.13 gear set. It is expensive to re gear and you should plan for what you plan to run. 35s get the 4.88.

The best shop here in Michigan to regear your Jeep is just under $2000. They stand behind their work.

https://kenskarkare.com/

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
This is what I’m considering doing. Will both the regear and pulsar together equal a noticeable increase in lower end torque?

539D16D3-74DF-4731-8D62-19B5765CC9BE.jpeg

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Cool beans. I'm in Mount Horeb, not far from you. I'm guessing you're talking about J&L in Madison? I've used them for helping with swapping out my suspension. I'm planning on regearing in about a year or so.

Haven you gotten a price from LeVoy's Nut & Bolt? They're at 10379 County Hwy Y, Mazomanie, WI 53560. I don't have any experience with them, though I've been curious to check out that playground for jeeps they have.

I'd love to know what you end up doing. It'll help me decide.

Last edited:

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
You can also use Jscan to update the computer for the gear change. It would cost around $100 for the security bypass cable, OBD bluetooth adapter and license.

Prices for a regear in my area so far was $1700 for an experienced home mechanic and $2100 for a local shop. Im going to get some more quotes soon and get mine done.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
This is what I’m considering doing. Will both the regear and pulsar together equal a noticeable increase in lower end torque?

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me not get ripped off please! Regearing advice needed!! 539D16D3-74DF-4731-8D62-19B5765CC9BE
Not familiar with the Pulsar Programmer listed but you could buy a Superchips Flashcal or a Tazer for less and re-calibrate the gear ratio yourself (it would save you about ~$350 right there).

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
When it comes to regearing, find a shop that not only has all the appropriate tools but also the skillset. People who have the skillset to do it correctly are worth every dollar they charge in labor.

This not an endorsement for the more expensive or lesser priced garages. Set price aside for a moment and find someone who you feel you can trust to get the job done correctly.

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Cool beans. I'm in Mount Horeb, not far from you. I'm guessing you're talking about J&L in Madison? I've used them for helping with swapping out my suspension. I'm planning on regearing in about a year or so.

Haven you gotten a price from LeVoy's Nut & Bolt? They're at 10379 County Hwy Y, Mazomanie, WI 53560. I don't have any experience with them, though I've been curious to check out that playground for jeeps they have.

I'd love to know what you end up doing. It'll help me decide.
Ive worked with J&L too and they do very good work. For this piece I am looking at working with Badgerland Offroad in Elkhorn. They are a family owned shop with very good google reviews and I have asked around and they seem to have a good word of mouth reputation too. Anyone done work with them on here?
Sponsored