Help me lift my Jeep just a bit

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
1/2 spacer for the suspension or the bump? technically at full articulation you would be bottoming out your shock, since compression length is 17.07in
Technically he could bottom out his shocks, but remember that 16.25" measurement is metal to metal. The stock foam bump stop is 2.5-3" (never actually measured). He'd have to hit the bump stops hard enough to compress 1.75" to 2.25" of the foam before the shocks would bottom out. Short of jumping it the odds of damaging a shock that has ~2" of foam cushioning before it bottoms are pretty low.
Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Think about articulation this way, ride height doesn't matter, you're looking for up on one side, down on the other.

Side 1, Up: Bump stops regardless of ride height, unless it's shock limited (which you don't want). So if you add 1" to the bump stop, this side will be 1" lower.

Side 2, Down: Theoretically this is limited by your shocks at full extension. Sway bars and control arm bushings could limit this, but you should have your front sway bar disconnected if you're looking for flex, and the stock joints will go pretty far.

So a 1" bump extension puts you at about 17.25" on side 1. The shock limits side 2, so it's 26.88". That means you'll have 9.63" of difference side to side at full flex (31.4*).

Compare that to your current setup. 16.25" on side 1 (stock bump), and 23.63" on side 2. That means you'll have 7.38" of difference side to side at full flex (23.5*).
crystal clear. thanks.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technically he could bottom out his shocks, but remember that 16.25" measurement is metal to metal. The stock foam bump stop is 2.5-3" (never actually measured). He'd have to hit the bump stops hard enough to compress 1.75" to 2.25" of the foam before the shocks would bottom out. Short of jumping it the odds of damaging a shock that has ~2" of foam cushioning before it bottoms are pretty low.
so for rock crawling, or anything slow there is absolutely no concerns. But if he went over a bump at high speeds. It could happen. Right? Maybe I'll get the bilsteins if I find a deal and install on my current configuration just to see. it is like a half hr job could go back to rubi reds if there are any issues.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
so for rock crawling, or anything slow there is absolutely no concerns. But if he went over a bump at high speeds. It could happen. Right? Maybe I'll get the bilsteins if I find a deal and install on my current configuration just to see. it is like a half hr job could go back to rubi reds if there are any issues.
What is your current setup ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What is your current setup ?
sport S with rubi suspension on 33 falkens. I think the falkens could rub stock sport fenders with more articulation though. Front shock eye to eye measure is 21 inches.

ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I originally put on the Rubicon shocks when I swapped the coils and put in the spacer. They were too short, had no drop in the back, rough ride and started leaking. Swapped those out for the 2-3" lift Bilstein 5100's and the performance upgrade was immediate. Highly recommend a shock upgrade from the Rubicon shocks.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I originally put on the Rubicon shocks when I swapped the coils and put in the spacer. They were too short, had no drop in the back, rough ride and started leaking. Swapped those out for the 2-3" lift Bilstein 5100's and the performance upgrade was immediate. Highly recommend a shock upgrade from the Rubicon shocks.
Yeah I lost 1 shock already due to leaking.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
sport S with rubi suspension on 33 falkens. I think the falkens could rub stock sport fenders with more articulation though. Front shock eye to eye measure is 21 inches.
How much height do you think you got with the Rubi suspension?

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
How much height do you think you got with the Rubi suspension?
Got 2 inches. I can do the spacers though with the shocks. It is an easy job and theyre cheap. But I think Ive been having issues with the rubi shocks. I had one on the front leak and wouldnt return to original position slowly when compressed. The shocks also "clunk" if I hit the throttle hard from full stop, the front of the jeep lifts and the shock clunks.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got 2 inches.
You’ll be fine with the 2-3” shocks, I doubt you’ll need to do anything with bumps, you’ll likely coil bind before shock bottoms out. Just get them on and cycle the suspension, or get out on the trail, and see what rubs where, you’re definitely not going loose a spring or rip off a fender…….. just try not to over think it. Try and have some fun with it.

ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Got 2 inches. I can do the spacers though with the shocks. It is an easy job and theyre cheap. But I think Ive been having issues with the rubi shocks. I had one on the front leak and wouldnt return to original position slowly when compressed. The shocks also "clunk" if I hit the throttle hard from full stop, the front of the jeep lifts and the shock clunks.
I got 2" in the rear and 2.5" in the front (with spacer) and I had the same issues with the Rubi coils. I got the tallest ones they make but I'm light in the back (soft top, plastic bumper) so the ride was rough and the Jeep rocked back and forth on the coils when I came to a stop. Had a shop look at it and they confirmed my suspicions, shocks were too short. Get any shock designed for a 2-3" lift and you'll be happy with the results, much better performance on and off road.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I got 2" in the rear and 2.5" in the front (with spacer) and I had the same issues with the Rubi coils. I got the tallest ones they make but I'm light in the back (soft top, plastic bumper) so the ride was rough and the Jeep rocked back and forth on the coils when I came to a stop. Had a shop look at it and they confirmed my suspicions, shocks were too short. Get any shock designed for a 2-3" lift and you'll be happy with the results, much better performance on and off road.
Yeah I had a shop look at it 2 years ago and they also mentioned they thought the shocks were too short.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Forum discount works on the Bilsteins on Northridge.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
A bump at speed hard enough to fully compress the suspension is one hell of a bump at a pretty high speed in my experience. If he was running whoops in the desert he might have an issue, virtually any street driving or trails at the low speeds most Jeepers run I don't think it would be an issue at all.
Sponsored