Sponsored

Help me get off the fence

RXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Have a 2018 Rubi JL with low miles. Can get decent trade and have been eyeing the diesel. Have run diesel in other makes and enjoy the torque and power, particularly in the rockies - though at times they leaked oil which was annoying. There are a few in the area that are a couple grand off sticker that could work. The wandering steering in my 18 bugs me and I don't feel like messing with the TSB. For those that have moved from another JL to the diesel - how satisfied are you? Is it really worth the upgrade? I can just stay in my 18 and use it for a couple more years likely with limited depreciation so am torn. Thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I went from a 3.8L ( 4 speed auto) JK to a 2021 3.0L diesel. I love the diesel. The torque is amazing. Also the ZF-sourced 8HP75 TorqueFlite 8-speed is so smooth. The shift points, both up and down, are well calibrated. I am pleased very with the powertrain.

That being said, the steering has a poor "on center" feel. It wanders somewhat, but it is marginally acceptable. For me, the diesel plus the upgraded 8HP75 transmission is worth the $6,000.

Be aware the $6,000 is just the beginning. Overall, I do not think the diesel is more economical than other engine options. The diesel is all about the torque. The diesel fuel economy is good, but the #2 diesel fuel cost more than 87 octane gasoline. The dealer price for the engine oil filter is about $90 plus you have to add nine (9) quarts of oil. And every other oil change you have to replace the fuel filter. Also, there is the DEF fluid.

But I still love my diesel.

Last edited:

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
29k miles on our 20 diesel, not one issue. Love driving it. Plenty of power and quiet for a diesel. Definitely not as loud as my F350 powerstroke....lol

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
If you love torque and can afford it then I say go for it. I’m a huge diesel proponent and have owned several other diesel vehicles. But to be honest, if you already have a rubi and the only issue is the steering then I would just get the TSB done and reap the savings for now. If you absolutely need a new Jeep or money is burning a hole in your pocket then I say go for it!

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
Another in favor of the Diesel, it is just so fun to drive. If the numbers work for you then go for it.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
If you love torque and can afford it then I say go for it. I’m a huge diesel proponent and have owned several other diesel vehicles. But to be honest, if you already have a rubi and the only issue is the steering then I would just get the TSB done and reap the savings for now. If you absolutely need a new Jeep or money is burning a hole in your pocket then I say go for it!
I second this! If money is no issue then go for it, the diesel is so much fun to drive! But the TSB might solve all your problems and you already have a capable Rubicon!

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Let’s face it, you’ve already made up your mind. You want the diesel! It is pretty awesome.

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my 2019 JLUR to get in a JLURD, and have no regrets (other than i built out the 2019 myself and had to s of sweat equity lost). Lol

OP
OP

RXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Well thanks all of you - you have helped for sure! Bottom line is life is short and enjoy the ride, right? Turbo diesels are just too much fun at high altitude. Will pull the trigger for sure when the right one comes along and with them landing regularly at the dealers that wont be long. The Willys and Rubys are both too sweet with that option!

Sponsored

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in my 2018 jl rubicon 4 door white in color for a new 21 jl diesel 3.0 rubicon 4 door. Went with crystal metalic color. No regrets at all. Got it with options that the 18 didn't have like LEDs and a few extra things.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
OP, don't let local availability ("there are a few in the area"..."when the right one comes along") influence your purchase decision. The diesel is an expensive vehicle, why not order and get EXACTLY what you want? That's what most of us have done. Not to mention the fact that most of us got $5-6K off sticker by ordering.

catortega3881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, BMW M4, Porsche Macan GTS
OP, don't let local availability ("there are a few in the area"..."when the right one comes along") influence your purchase decision. The diesel is an expensive vehicle, why not order and get EXACTLY what you want? That's what most of us have done. Not to mention the fact that most of us got $5-6K off sticker by ordering.
This. Exactly this.
Sponsored