Sponsored

Help me find the right Shocks for MetalCloak 3.5" Game-Changer Kit

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on how the 6paks are treating you since you swapped them in over the Rocksports?
I’ve had the chance to compare the 6paks both on-road and Offroad over a variety of terrain. I can say there is a significant improvement in dampening the impact from on-road irregularities like potholes, expansion joints in road, and the overall dismal conditions of Los Angeles roads and freeways (especially in truck lanes). The 6paks soak up all of the bumps easily and eliminate the slight reverberation from impacts that I could feel in my seat with the Rocksports. Don’t get me wrong, the Rocksports were a nice improvement over the stock shocks and they rode nice. They also had very good flex Offroad. Offroad the 6paks shined. They almost totally soak up the washboard dirt roads and I’m able to bomb through the desert at a better speed than the Rocksports could handle. I experienced some wash-out from the rocksports on some of the more extreme washboard roads. I have yet to experience any washout with the 6paks, though I’m sure I could get them hot enough to lose dampening ability if I drove it hard and long enough. Flex? Holy Toledo! These things are monsters on the rocks. I just got back from a run in Calico out near Barstow. We did the Doran and Odessa trails. Our JL walked up and over obstacles that some of the other built Jeeps had to be winched out of. Quite a few of the Jeeps we ran with did the ole Jeep wave on most of the more technical sections and some almost went over. The skill of their driver was the only thing that saved them. Our JL never once had a tire lose contact with the ground. I had about 3 or 4 different guys come up to us later and compliment the amount of flex they saw our JL produce and how easy it made the trail look. I will say that one of the JK’s with a Rock Krawler system mated to some Rocksport shocks also did very well and was able to keep his tires down on most of the obstacles. There were 2 other JL’s that ran with us. They had a harder time than I did but they made it with no winching needed. I don’t know what system they were running but they did have to change up their lines on a couple of obstacles. I’m not the most experienced off-roader and I definitely could have hit some lines better than I did, but I’m not kidding when I say our JL made me look like I knew what I was doing (even though I may have pooped my pants a little). I’m definitely sold on the 6paks. I did notice that I’m having some slight tire rubbing on the inner fender liners that I didn’t have with the Rocksports. But for me that’s a good problem to have because now I can justify purchasing some inner liners and doing some fender mods (haven’t decided what I want yet). We have about 3k miles on them so far in case you all were wondering. Hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me find the right Shocks for MetalCloak 3.5" Game-Changer Kit 8BC013B8-1792-4C87-B8FA-4985445A9F6E

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me find the right Shocks for MetalCloak 3.5" Game-Changer Kit C6B85B60-2018-49ED-9D48-B36A01E12293

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me find the right Shocks for MetalCloak 3.5" Game-Changer Kit 75FA1B14-4CA4-43AA-8871-062EF7CC4F03

90854190-DE54-4C0F-AD5B-7D5B5A28E8F7.jpeg

E8106625-5DB9-4CA8-BB76-C82CDCCDF6EA.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
That is some serious flex! Thank you for the excellent review.

I have the 2.5 GC on order with the Rocksports for my 2019 JLUR. I may upgrade to the 6Paks down the line, but the Rocksports appeared to be a nice budget choice that allows me to do some other things in the meantime.

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
That is some serious flex! Thank you for the excellent review.

I have the 2.5 GC on order with the Rocksports for my 2019 JLUR. I may upgrade to the 6Paks down the line, but the Rocksports appeared to be a nice budget choice that allows me to do some other things in the meantime.
Rocksports are definitely a good performing shock for the money. They offer more travel than other shocks at the same price point too.

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
If I understood correctly, you’re running a 2.5” game changer (springs and control arms) with fox 2.5 shocks. What length shocks are you using? It’s not in my immediate budget but was also considering the fox 2.5’s down the road.

Sponsored

DanoHB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If I understood correctly, you’re running a 2.5” game changer (springs and control arms) with fox 2.5 shocks. What length shocks are you using? It’s not in my immediate budget but was also considering the fox 2.5’s down the road.
I am running the 3.5" Game Changer with the control arms, springs, track bars. I had a shop order the Fox Shocks that were for that kit. I am not exactly sure what length they were, but they work perfect. Adjustable and very smooth on and off road.

DanoHB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am running the 3.5" Game Changer with the control arms, springs, track bars. I had a shop order the Fox Shocks that were for that kit. I am not exactly sure what length they were, but they work perfect. Adjustable and very smooth on and off road.
Just got part numbers from shop. Mine are made for a 3.5"-4" lift. part numbers 883-26-051 (front) and 883-26-055 (rear)

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Hi!

I just got my Game Changer 2.5 installed. I have not changed tires yet in order to see the before and after difference. As a point of reference I had the new steering box installed about 2 months before the GC 2.5. Below is my review so far (I have not managed to make it off-road yet)...

It drives very close to stock! I have not measured it, but it looks higher than +2.5" (LOD bumper and Warn Zeon 10S). The height obviously changes how it handles crosswinds and cornering, but overall that is a minor item. I got the Rocksport shocks. Compared to stock I would say that they are very slightly harsher (over damped) than stock for small bumps in the road. For larger bumps/pot holes I feel like they are under damped. A large bump gets a wheel oscillating and it takes longer to settle than a stock damper. I attribute some of this to geometry. A lifted suspension is in a different portion of the LCA arc than when my stock suspension had the LCAs flat.

The Noise/Vibration/Harshness (NVH) is every bit as good as stock. I was really torn about selecting this kit or a Teraflex kit. The shop that installed this kit (Baker Off-Road in Georgia, awesome shop) recommended Metalcloak and I am glad they did. The joints in these arms are fantastic.

Ok, that was a long-winded review. I'm thrilled with this kit! I'll drive it more before making any decisions but I am considering other dampers later. Thank you @Metalcloak !

Chip

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Just got part numbers from shop. Mine are made for a 3.5"-4" lift. part numbers 883-26-051 (front) and 883-26-055 (rear)
Anyone knows what would be a match for the GC 2.5” lift? Hopefully, with the part numbers. 🤞🏻

Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I ended up buying Fox 2.0s to run with my 2.5" Game Changer. The part numbers are 985-24-179 and 985-24-180. These are listed to be run with 3.5-4" lifts but the lengths on these are fairly close to the RockSport shocks. The RockSports are 30" extended and 17.7" collapsed. These Fox shocks are 28.45" fully extended and 17.85 collapsed front (the -179 part number) and 30.55" extended and 18.95" collapsed for the rear.

These have less travel but I'm not concerned with that really. Currently running 3" of bump stop on all four corners so I wouldnt be able to take advantage of it all anyway, especially on the rear.

Only got a couple hundred miles on it so far but I am very happy with the on road ride quality. IMO it is better than stock. OE shocks and springs seemed mushy and under damped. These are a bit firmer but not harsh or bouncy at all. Hopefully I'll get some offroad miles in this week.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR