Sponsored

Help Me Decide

beatboy77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger
I have narrowed my search down to two Jeeps. A 2016 JK Rubicon and a 2020 JL Willys. Both have essentially the same options for creature comforts and are price at

2016 Rubicon - $29k (28,000 miles)
2020 Willys - $38k (11 miles)

For use, I live in Colorado and would mainly use for moderate to easy trails. I am not comfortable doing hardcore trails honestly. May ocassionally get in to a more challenging trail as well, however I would guess that would be rare. Also would use on the highway a fair amount too.

Just curious of opinions. Especially from the step from JK to JL

Josh
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
coming from owning 2 JK's and then a JL its just better in every way. i wouldn't get too hung up on the "rubicon" name since all the jeeps are really capable (especially if you are going to mod it yourself). kind of hard right now but have you tested either model yet? or even sat in them?

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
JL is much more refined. The $9k difference will likely stay with the vehicle throughout your ownership. However, another consideration for our purchase was how long we plan to keep it. I genuinely expect this Jeep to be with me from here on out (20 years). Therefore, I went Rubicon, not because I need it now, but because I may want it later. All that said, I was out the door with a well equipped JL Rubicon with ZERO miles for $42k. Something to think about.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Can you please give some more details on why?
Because you can’t ever really account for how it’s been used for all of those 28,000 miles. Plus, at 36,000 miles or so, you may find yourself having transmission issues. Or you may not.

$150ish+/month more (assuming $10k over 60months with low interest) means you get a new vehicle under warranty with 11miles on the odometer.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Because you can’t ever really account for how it’s been used for all of those 28,000 miles. Plus, at 36,000 miles or so, you may find yourself having transmission issues. Or you may not.

$150ish+/month more (assuming $10k over 60months with low interest) means you get a new vehicle under warranty with 11miles on the odometer.
I would definitely consider new also. The $10K more is really not $10K depending on how you look at it. It's a lot less.

They will get part of the $10K back at resale. $10K is probably actually only $4K-$5K more after depreciation in 4 years. That leaves about $5K-$6K in positive equity whenever they sell.

That new car warranty has value also. Probably about $2500 in value.

Plus intrest rates are lower for new verses used if it's not a cash deal. I believe 4-doors qualify for 0% x 36 now?

That means it cost roughly maybe $3K-$4K premium to drive a JL over JK. Probably less when you factor in interest.

No contest in my opinion. I would buy the new Willys. A JL is just so much more refined over a JK. My JL is a lot quieter then my JK was. The JL drives better in every regard.

There a LOT of other improvements. The JL has lighter doors to remove. Hard top is lighter. The JL soft top is a LOT ease to use, it drops like a convertible. The JK soft top is pain to unzip and remove. The interior is a lot nicer and more comfortable to be in.

To be honest the JL's 8-speed mated to either the 2.0T or the 3.6 is worth it alone. It transforms the feel of the 3.6 over the JK's 5-speed. Both the 2.0T and 3.6 feel a LOT faster with the 8-speed. The extra MPG are a welcome also. The best I got with my old '15 JK was about 20MPG with regular Sport gears. I have seen up to 26MPG with my 2.0 JLR. That's unreal when you consider the extra power, Rubicon gears and larger tires.

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...$10K is probably actually only $4K-$5K more after depreciation in 4 years. That leaves about $5K-$6K in positive equity whenever they sell....That new car warranty has value also....That means it cost roughly maybe $3K-$4K premium to drive a JL over JK...No contest in my opinion. I would buy the new Willys.
Valid points, I agree.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have narrowed my search down to two Jeeps. A 2016 JK Rubicon and a 2020 JL Willys. Both have essentially the same options for creature comforts and are price at

2016 Rubicon - $29k (28,000 miles)
2020 Willys - $38k (11 miles)

For use, I live in Colorado and would mainly use for moderate to easy trails. I am not comfortable doing hardcore trails honestly. May ocassionally get in to a more challenging trail as well, however I would guess that would be rare. Also would use on the highway a fair amount too.

Just curious of opinions. Especially from the step from JK to JL

Josh
You have to get the JL , now that your on this forum......:giggle:....seriously, if you can swing it financially, you’ll be a lot happier with the new one. They’ve really made some awesome improvements with the JL. Not to mention that new Jeep smell......:).

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Mirroring what others have said get the JL, having come from 2 JL’s I can’t say enough about how much more I love my 2020 Willys.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I didnt own a JK but people told me they had to do quite a bit just to put 35s on one. JL is easy peasy for 35s.
You can always add lockers later if you end up needing them. Ive done some pretty aggressive trails with no lockers. Just rubi suspension and 35s. I do want lockers but i have managed without them so far. Eventually ill either swap to rubi take off axles or to a rubi itself. But i want to do even more aggressive stuff lol. And eventually run 37s.

first time i took my base sport offroad to a trail. It has some pretty gnarly obstacles. I was on oem rubi wheels/tires with no lift. Basically bone stock. People were blow away at how capable the JL is. I was keeping up with modded JK rubis no problem

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
You have to get the JL , now that your on this forum......:giggle:....seriously, if you can swing it financially, you’ll be a lot happier with the new one. They’ve really made some awesome improvements with the JL. Not to mention that new Jeep smell......:).
No seriously, its all about the smell ! Such a great point Roky ! When youre droppin the big bucks , you want the new vehicle smell !:)

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
After having built my 2 previous Jeep CJ's the Rubicon I have now has all the stuff I put in the other Jeeps, plus it rides better on and off road, and looks a ton better.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, when I traded in my JK I sat in it for about 2 minutes at the dealer parking lot. I spoke to it like it could hear me, I said “I’m gonna miss you”.
Did the paperwork, got in my brand new JL (bought for Sky One) after only about 3 blocks from the dealership I was in love again and never regretted the trade or missed my JK.
Just a superior vehicle.
Sponsored