First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I will be putting on springs/shocks from a JLUR soonish, and I'm anticipating my OEM Goodyears will start to look a bit out of place... so I'm shopping for rubber. I want a snow rated tire (I have to carry chains now) that's good for highways, gravel roads and offroad trails with maybe some shallow mud; I don't do anything technical.

I think I've settled on Wildpeak AT3Ws, but my questions aren't specific to this tire. I'd go with KO2 takeoffs if I could find a good price on them locally, but it's been a year and I haven't yet.

My main decision seems to be between these sizes in the Wildpeak:
LT255/80r17 (10 ply. 52.5lbs)
LT285/70r17 (10 ply. 58.9lbs)
LT285/70r17 (6 ply. 62.8lbs) (less ply, more weight??)
P285/70r17 (4 ply. 50.5lbs)

Here are my questions (not specific to this tire, probably):

10/6/4 ply? Since the JL isn't very heavy and won't be loaded with much more than, say, camping or skiing gear..... Is this metric really that important? I've read folks say 10 ply rides rougher, but.. does it also hold its shape better while cornering? Is 10 ply "all negatives, no positives"? or.. is it merely a cushy ride vs sporty ride decision? I would trade a smoother ride if there are some advantages.

80 vs 70 profile ... this one is a bit confusing to me since 285/70 and 255/80 are nearly the same diameters, there shouldn't be a very noticeable difference in sidewall height; so, things like cornering would be about the same, no? It seems it would just be the side profile that would be different; 255/80 would be a more "flat" sidewall and 285 is more donut-shaped?

Tire Weight... There's as much as 10+ lbs difference between these similar-diameter tires. Is 10lbs a lot for things like acceleration/MPG? I'm in a manual with 3.45 gears, so even going up a tire size will start to feel more sluggish... I don't want to exacerbate it with more unsprung weight than absolutely necessary... the 255 or P285, at about 50lbs are high on my list because of weight.

Size: 285 vs 255 .... I have a decent handle on the impact of tire width; skinny should be less rolling resistance (better mpg), cut through standing water better, less floaty on the road in general; probably better on snow... but worse in the mud or rocks (which are lower priorities for me). The advantages of pizza cutters seem to speak to me, even if I prefer the looks of wider tires.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you don't plan to load up your Jeep w/ heavy bumpers, racks etc you might consider an SL rated tire (essentially a 4 ply based measurement). Toyo Open Country 285/70/17s in SL load weigh a paltry 46 lbs. (interesting that the C rated in the same size wiegh 55lbs and the E-rated weigh less at 53 lbs).The Toyos get good reviews, are their newest tire so they have the most current rubber compounds and features, are snow rated and have a 50k mileage warranty. I think they are going to be my next tire set, although I will probably run a 285/75/17 since I have the 8AT which won't have such an impact w/ those sport gears vs. your 6MT.

Scroll down this link to 17" section and click on Show Full Specifications for all the details
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Iā€™m no expert. But a few years ago, I had BFG KOā€™s for 50K milesā€¦great tires. Wouldnā€™t hesitate getting a set of KO2ā€™s.

replaced them with Nitto Tera Grapplers b/c tire shop recommended them and make me a great deal on them. They are also great tires. A little lighter than KOā€™s, and now I get 1 or 2 more mpgā€™s. o complaints about them. But I prefer the look of KO2ā€™s.

Toyoā€˜s and Coopers also looked good. But Iā€™ve never driven them.

Always depends on what youā€™re going to use them for. I donā€™t really off-roadā€¦I do go off pavement, but mostly flat, no rock crawling and not interested in airing them down. I need them to be okay In snow/mud. But this Jeep is my DD, so just good all around.
Sponsored