Help me decide: Sahara or Rubicon

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
J-Hawk, I was in the same boat 9 years ago. Turning 50, wanted to celebrate by buying my first Wrangler. It would be a DD for me, maybe some occasional trail/mild off-pavement entertainment. Got a 2-door Rubi and loved every minute I spent in it (turned out to be 99% back and forth to work). Despite never needing the lockers or electronic sway disconnect, I loved knowing what my beloved Jeep could do if asked. My Jeep wave was proud and I had zero regrets. Fast forward a few years and it was time to trade in my JKR (I wanted the 3.6 Pentastar upgrade and the much improved interior design in '12). Went for a Sahara for so many of the reasons already mentioned (daily driver comfort, civility, fewer potential breakdowns of the features I really didn't need, etc.). It just wasn't the same feeling of joy/excitement that my Rubi gave me. Much of that excitement is in one's head (do not underestimate how important the mental aspect is). How will you feel when you walk up to your Wrangler, unlock it and get in? Will you park it and turn around as you're walking away and smile/feel stoked? For me it was Rubi HELL YEAH!, Sahara sure it's pretty nice.

For that reason, as I lived the experience you describe, I'm planning to go back to a Rubicon. That being said, a special edition Sahara with an aggressive aesthetic, selec-trac, and the right packaging could tempt me. I guess we'll all know pretty soon!

In the meantime, soak in the sage advice we all benefit from found on this forum (I've learned a ton!), enjoy the anticipation (it's a big part of the fun), and know that whatever you choose, you're gonna love it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
J-Hawk, I was in the same boat 9 years ago. Turning 50, wanted to celebrate by buying my first Wrangler. It would be a DD for me, maybe some occasional trail/mild off-pavement entertainment. Got a 2-door Rubi and loved every minute I spent in it (turned out to be 99% back and forth to work). Despite never needing the lockers or electronic sway disconnect, I loved knowing what my beloved Jeep could do if asked. My Jeep wave was proud and I had zero regrets. Fast forward a few years and it was time to trade in my JKR (I wanted the 3.6 Pentastar upgrade and the much improved interior design in '12). Went for a Sahara for so many of the reasons already mentioned (daily driver comfort, civility, fewer potential breakdowns of the features I really didn't need, etc.). It just wasn't the same feeling of joy/excitement that my Rubi gave me. Much of that excitement is in one's head (do not underestimate how important the mental aspect is). How will you feel when you walk up to your Wrangler, unlock it and get in? Will you park it and turn around as you're walking away and smile/feel stoked? For me it was Rubi HELL YEAH!, Sahara sure it's pretty nice.

For that reason, as I lived the experience you describe, I'm planning to go back to a Rubicon. That being said, a special edition Sahara with an aggressive aesthetic, selec-trac, and the right packaging could tempt me. I guess we'll all know pretty soon!

In the meantime, soak in the sage advice we all benefit from found on this forum (I've learned a ton!), enjoy the anticipation (it's a big part of the fun), and know that whatever you choose, you're gonna love it!
Thanks man...I know I am going to love it!

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same boat until I sat in the Rubicon a few times. I love the look of the Rubi but it is way to bumpy for everyday driving. I am leaning towards a fully loaded Sahara and equipping it with light bars and new wheels.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I am a Jeep newbie, and I absolutely love all the great information available here on this forum!

I will be purchasing my first ever Jeep in January as a 50th birthday gift to myself, and I cannot decide between the Sahara and the Rubicon. As far as I can tell, the main difference between the two is the gear ratios. I am sure there are other trim/option items that are different, but I cannot figure them all out.

My dilemma is this vehicle will be my daily driver, and for running around on weekends, but it will not get a lot of off road use other than the occasional dirt road, or light trail. I love the Rubicon look, but it seems like a waste to get all the trial related items and never use them. I welcome any and all opinions on this...I need help.

Should also mention that I will want upgraded wheels/tires as I dont like the stock versions...if that helps with some of your opinions.

Help a guy decide!!!!
100% Sahara. Rubicon is pointless from a functionality standpoint for you, so my choice would be to save the cash and go for a lightly optioned Sahara with body color fenders/hard top.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've been driving my '08 jku x now for 10 years and this time I am going to get a rubicon. 98 to 99 percent of the time I am on the road but when I do go off-road I hate manually disconnecting my sway bar links. I would like the beefier front axle for 35s and I always wish I had a lower geared transfer case for more control over rocks.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been driving my '08 jku x now for 10 years and this time I am going to get a rubicon. 98 to 99 percent of the time I am on the road but when I do go off-road I hate manually disconnecting my sway bar links. I would like the beefier front axle for 35s and I always wish I had a lower geared transfer case for more control over rocks.
Yeah disconnecting sway bar manually is a pain once you're used to pressing a button. Other option is to go Curry anti rock route, but it's expensive (as compared to sway bar quick discos). IMO worth it if you do a lot of rocks, otherwise probably not.

Uscolt45

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Renegade

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
To me the Sahara seems better in only one way: The Full-Time 4WD of Selec-Trac will be a bit better for ice/snow/winter driving.

Otherwise the Rubicon is better in every other way.

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
To me the Sahara seems better in only one way: The Full-Time 4WD of Selec-Trac will be a bit better for ice/snow/winter driving.

Completely agree. And, as alluded to, if you go Rubi and and it turns out you're unhappy with it, you'll do much better on resale/trade-in than with the Sahara. Around here, used Rubis don't last long on dealer's lots (nor do Sports). Saharas seem to linger awhile.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100% Sahara. Rubicon is pointless from a functionality standpoint for you, so my choice would be to save the cash and go for a lightly optioned Sahara with body color fenders/hard top.
This is what I am currently leaning towards...thanks for the input!

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely agree. And, as alluded to, if you go Rubi and and it turns out you're unhappy with it, you'll do much better on resale/trade-in than with the Sahara. Around here, used Rubis don't last long on dealer's lots (nor do Sports). Saharas seem to linger awhile.
Agreed, especially now that dealers can option Rubi's with body color fenders/top lol.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

With the traction control systems on all the new cars, I'm perfectly OK with part time 4H. In my old TJ I shift between 2H & 4H during snowy drives, but now with ESC, I'm fully committed to the Rubi. Bigger tires, longer axles for wider track, Hi-line fenders, stiffer/higher suspension, even down to the higher grade seat upholstery, it's 100% Rubicon for me (It BETTER be offered on the JT!).

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the traction control systems on all the new cars, I'm perfectly OK with part time 4H. In my old TJ I shift between 2H & 4H during snowy drives, but now with ESC, I'm fully committed to the Rubi. Bigger tires, longer axles for wider track, Hi-line fenders, stiffer/higher suspension, even down to the higher grade seat upholstery, it's 100% Rubicon for me (It BETTER be offered on the JT!).
You guys are not making this an easy choice!! It seems like I change my mind ever couple of hours!!;)
Let me add this...if I am planning on getting larger tires, and upgraded rims...does that point me to the Rubicon due to the wider setup? Or can I add those to the Sahara without modifying the axels?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep!! Agreed. It'll be offered on the JT... have been worried they won't offer anything less.
Sponsored