Help me decide - Sahara or Rubicon Recon

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
For how the OP wrote how he intends to use it, the Rubicon sounds like overkill. Save $10,000-12,000 and go with the Sahara.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Easier to find a Rubicon equipped the way I want it - found a Sahara but it was sold already. Thanks!

Not sure I understand how the eTorque is not a standard turbo? Thanks!

PJG

First Name
Padon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon 2-Door
What a great community, I really appreciate the advice! I had my eye on a nice Rubicon Recon - but the dealer sold it before I could badger them into a deal I was comfortable with.

Question - can you get a Rubicon without the red dashboard? That was one option that I liked (among others) about the Recon.

I did find a Sahara equipped the way I wanted so maybe that will be an option as well. It will be fun to let you guys know where I landed.

Once again - I greatly appreciate the knowledge you all are sharing. Thanks so much!
Yes you can get get a Rubicon without a red dash, I think it’s called “metallic” or “carbon”? Could be way off on the name but my buddy has a 19 Rubi with an oem grayish dash

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Question - can you get a Rubicon without the red dashboard? That was one option that I liked (among others) about the Recon.
If you go on to the Jeep site and build a Rubicon and select the dark saddle/black interior option, it changes to the greyish dash. You will be able to see the changes in their rendering. Otherwise it looks like some people just order the pieces and change them out after they purchase it.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
DEFINITELY the RUBICON....although you may never plan on getting yourself into some serious wheeling.......Driving a Jeep off road can easily get you into a “surprise” situation that you were not expecting. Or perhaps a friend wheeling with you may experience this. Owning a Rubicon is the difference between being able to negotiate this surprise or looking for recovery from that surprise. the RUBICON is much more capable than its other Jeep siblings.

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
You found a Sahara the way you wanted it but would do some mods to make it look more aggressive. The Rubicon already is and looks more aggressive, to me it is a no-gainer, Rubicon.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Really appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

tkmo061

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Looking to purchase a new Jeep. Started out wanting a Sahara for my use case (town and beach driving, maybe a very light trail a few times a year - will probably keep suspension stock).

These are both 2.0 Turbo vehicles BTW

Found a Sahara exactly as I wanted it configured:
Leather, cold weather, towing, LED lights, 8.4 Uconnect, both safety groups, keyless entry and Sky One Touch roof.
MSRP - $54940

Found a Unlimited Rubicon Recon edition that I really like that is equipped the same way but also has Steel Bumper group and body color fender flares
MSRP - $60,615

Really like the ruggedness of the Rubicon and while I would do some mods on the Sarah it would be to get it to look a bit more aggressive.

Don’t have to talk about price - trying to get both to 5%+ below invoice which is where I feel comfortable.

So about a $5675 difference in MSRP and about $5066 on invoice.

Remember my use case - around town, vacation trips at the beach a lot and occasionally a trail trip.

Will the Rubicon retain more resale? Which to choose - any advice or opinions are appreciated. Thanks so much!
You won't regret the Recon. Love my 2020 Recon and I also love the 2.0 with e-torque. Never owned the 6 cyl. but did four week-long rentals over the last two years for work - three had the 6 cyl, one had the non e-torque turbo so I do have some experience with all three. Originally shopped for a used Rubicon and they do have a higher resale value, but I don't know if the resale value between a Rubicon and Sahara is equivalent to when buying new. If you really want it just for the steel bumper, you can find these next to new used on a regular basis. I'm in the process of upgrading my front bumper and will be selling mine which is in mint condition in about a month.

BADBREW

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon JLUR
R. U. B. I. C. O. N.
Why? All the aforementioned helpful insights from community members and the resale value. Rubicon Wranglers (both stock and/or with third-party additions) typically hold their value better long term. IMO.

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have a 2020 Sahara. I didn't need the off road equipment that the Rubicon has. I like the Rubicon hood but hate the huge stickers on it with the name. The Rubi did not come with saddle leather interior, which is what I wanted.

This vehicle is very capable off road. I have had no problems and live in an area with rough roads.

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I also had the same debate when buying.. I purchased the rubicon and am happy I did. I know I would’ve regretted getting the Sahara, since I wanted ALL the options. Also, when you compare the two models used, the rubicons hold their value better.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Because turbos make no boost in slow traffic. If you step on it, you go in and out of the boost and out goes your fuel economy.

Little turbo engines are there to look good on paper for emissions and to catch people who don't understand engines.
That's not my experience. The I4 Turbo is a great engine, very glad I chose it. Zero problems.

You don't need the boost in slow traffic. But when you need it, it's there. Exhaust flow vs. RPM, as others have said. And it does perform. Power and acceleration when you need it. I have had the V6 and I like the I4 Turbo way better. Mileage overall is better, so the times I'm in "slow traffic" or need to "step on it" don't matter.

Just my 2 cents. Like yours. :fist bump:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
That's not my experience. The I4 Turbo is a great engine, very glad I chose it. Zero problems.

You don't need the boost in slow traffic. But when you need it, it's there. Exhaust flow vs. RPM, as others have said. And it does perform. Power and acceleration when you need it. I have had the V6 and I like the I4 Turbo way better. Mileage overall is better, so the times I'm in "slow traffic" or need to "step on it" don't matter.

Just my 2 cents. Like yours. :fist bump:
Out of curiosity, which V6 did you have and in which model?

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
But the etorque turbo doesn't function as a standard turbo does solely off the exhaust..... according to the FCA info
Agreed, but that's not the turbo, that's an electric drive motor. Separate systems.
Sponsored