Sponsored

Help me decide - Sahara or Rubicon Recon

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
Because turbos make no boost in slow traffic. If you step on it, you go in and out of the boost and out goes your fuel economy.

Little turbo engines are there to look good on paper for emissions and to catch people who don't understand engines.
This entire post is false. No other word for it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Well I think this point may be mute, the dealer sold the Recon out from under me, so that is that, I am disappointed.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP:

there is always another Rubicon.

i would tell you to look at BOTH vehicles. sit in both. drive Both. Forget about your use case. Totally forget about it.

Now, which vehicle do you see yourself driving? Buy that one.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Great advice - really loved the Rubicon, LOL

Deleted member 53226

I see a lot of these discussions, and the way I see it, the choice is pretty simple, based on the logic of not paying extra for things you don't need, and can be broken down as follows in a little flow chart of sorts with simply yes or no answers to the statements:

Sahara versus Rubicon Decision Chart

1. I do a lot of off-roading and really need a Jeep with heavy duty suspension, tires, etc.
If yes, buy Rubicon
If no, buy Sahara

2. I never go off-roading, except if you count my steep gravel driveway.
If yes, buy Sahara
If no, buy Rubicon

3. I never go off-roading, but I like the big wheels and more expensive suspension bits, as well as
the Rubicon sticker on the side.
If Yes, buy Rubicon
If no, buy Sahara

4. My neighbor just bought a Rubicon, so I feel now I must have the same or better than that
jerk.
If yes, buy Rubicon
If no, buy Sahara

5. I must always have the top of the line model of anything with all options even if I have no real
use for its capabilities, or even understand why its more expensive.
If yes, buy Rubicon (and park next to your Corvette Z06)
If no, buy Sahara

6. Everyone says the Rubicon, is "the one to have" so I better get that one.
If yes, buy Rubicon
If no, buy Sahara

7. I have no idea what sway bar disconnects or lockers are, but they sure sound awesome, and I
like extra buttons and knobs on my dash panel.
If yes, buy Rubicon
If no, buy Sahara

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
I like the sahara, i be going back to the mall later tonight!.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
There are a whole lot of very happy Sahara owners here, but we learn to keep our mouths shut and let the top dogs bark. If you need a Rubicon's features, get the Rubicon. If you need to be the top dog, get the Rubicon. But if you don't need a Rubicon, and you're the kind of person who realizes there will always be a bigger dog no matter what, get the Sahara.

Either way, you're going to love the Sky One Touch and the 2.0 eTorque. Those items will put a smile on your face almost every time you drive your Wrangler. But those are two items that you also need to keep your mouth shut about on these forums, because the loud dogs don't approve of those either.

If you think the Sahara looks a little wimpy compared to the Rubi, you can close the gap by throwing on a set of wheel spacers for $200, a steel bumper for $500, and the Rubicon rock rails for $50. And a couple of stickers of your choice onto the hood for $25. For $775 extra you're going to be so proud because you made it 'yours'.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I have one of each, Rubicon for me Sahara for my wife. Sahara is better ride and better mileage. Rubicon if you like the rugged look and want to get the job done! I like the 4:10 gears over the 3:73 in the Sahara. Had no issues with either vehicle.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Why the 2L? Isn't the 3.6 also cheaper? You can get a Rubicon bumper and they even start from around $400. Get a can of paint and spray your shocks in any color you want.

Money in your hands is better than in their pockets.
He wasn't asking for opinions on his engine choice. Pretty apparent based on your posts you don't like the 2.0T, which is fine, but that's what he wants.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
OP:

My opinion is it depends on how much you plan on spending in upgrades to the Sahara. For me, if the cost to upgrade a Sahara is $4k or more to make it more rugged or closer to a Rubicon, then I would just get the Rubicon from the get go. That way the Jeep is factory built without any out of pocket costs and those items are covered by a warranty.

However, if you're planned upgrades are only a couple grand and you don't plan on tires larger than 33", then the Sahara is the more fiscally smart way to go.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What a great community, I really appreciate the advice! I had my eye on a nice Rubicon Recon - but the dealer sold it before I could badger them into a deal I was comfortable with.

Question - can you get a Rubicon without the red dashboard? That was one option that I liked (among others) about the Recon.

I did find a Sahara equipped the way I wanted so maybe that will be an option as well. It will be fun to let you guys know where I landed.

Once again - I greatly appreciate the knowledge you all are sharing. Thanks so much!

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I own a Sahara and have a similar usage as you have, it's my daily driver. I have the 2.0L and drive in city traffic (Cincinnati) and it has more than enough 'get up and go' when you need it. I will be upgrading to a 2" lift and probably 35" tires. At times I wish I would've gone with the Rubi but realistically I should've gone with a Sport S with the options I wanted and saved myself a little cash. A Rubi would be overkill for my usage but they sure are sexy! As someone else posted, sit in the two and drive them. The one you can see yourself in and is more suited for your usage, thats the one for you. Don't let those who shame non-Rubicon owners sway your decision.

And BTW, my Sahara still has not been to a mall!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
And BTW, my Sahara still has not been to a mall!
That’s only because of COVID. Be honest. LOL (I’m kidding)

for me, the Rubicon is WAAAAY overkill. So is the sport. I should have purchased a Subaru and lifted it. Seriously. My use case needs a Rubicon like I need a moon buggy. That said, I really liked the looks of the Rubicon and. Screw it, I’m buying it........
Sponsored