Sponsored

HELP me decide (by 9 am ET tomorrow 4/16!!!) Firecracker Red or Granite Crystal redux (Sahara)!

Which Sahara should I get? Firecracker Red or Granite Crystal?

• Total voters

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Folks - long story short, I have a Firecracker Red JLU Sport on order, and in D1 stage for about a week now. However, the more I've been looking at aftermarket items, the more I realized, I probably should have gone with the Sahara from the get-go, esp because of the OEM LED package. By the time I added all the add-ons, like Mopar side steps, lights, etc. - I would have spent "almost" as much on the Sport as I would have if I just got the Sahara from the start. The Rubicon is still too much extra for me, and I don't need all that.

Anyways, I'm in a good enough relationship with my local dealership that they may be able to switch it for me - I plan to go in tomorrow to MAKE MY LAST and FINAL order change...

So - anyways, on to the question.

I went with Red because I like the black/red contrast theme on the Sport. For the Sahara, it comes with the grayish front grille inserts and of course, the body colored fender flares. I figured I'd "still" get red - but I dunno, I struggled with the Granite vs Firecracker debacle before, but now that it's a Sahara, part of me thinks Granite or even Black looks good with the Sahara. What do you all think? Mine will have:

- black premium soft top
- black cloth (I don't want leather at all)
- standard Sahara 17" wheels

Please let me know! Reply now before I meet with them at 9 am tomorrow morning to place an order! Thanks in advance, Forum Community!

EDIT: more pics below the first post.

firecracker.jpg
granite.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
I found some pics from this site of our brothers and sisters with actual vehicles of each color, to aid in the decision. Although the granite looks fantastic, the black top and the black handles and the black accessories don't pop out as much. The thing with the red, although gorgeous too, I worry in the Sahara it might be "too" much red? The black accessories pop out nicely in the red though.

red sahara 5.jpg

granite sahara 3.jpg

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple more:

red sahara 7.jpg

granite sahara 9.jpg

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I have a bright red Mustang, we own the Firecracker Sahara above. The OEM light package was not on the Sport S as an option, they are delaying Sahara and Rubicon as Jeep ran out of LED supply. It means a bit of a back up if you order now. Worth every penny tho!

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’ve got a rubicon firecracker red of course. I love red and wouldn’t get any other color for the Jeep. It’s just iconic. I can easily find it in any parking lot. It pops. It’s gorgeuos. It stands out. The red on black contrast is perfect. Too many grey variations out there although the granite is one of the better ones.

835B116C-5A9E-4E1B-BC9F-1CE74E2A9A4C.jpeg

Sponsored

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
If I hadn't ordered Ocean Blue, I would have picked Granite Crystal. The red comes out a bit bright depending on the light; if it was more crimson (Roll Tide) it would have been no contest; heck, even Georgia Bulldog red would be fine. but the ones I've seen in-person and in photos has a bit of a wonky look depending on the light (to me at least)

The Granite Crystal just comes across as a better color to me; and you can add some silver in there (custom hood decals, for example, that say Sahara like Rubicon) and it would look pretty nice. Getting "Sahara" in black letters, with silver outline on the hood would look fantastic on a Granite Crystal

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Also, since you may be ordering a Sahara you can opt for select-trac which is pretty much AWD with power going to the front on demand/as needed. Just a thought.

You get the option of 4H Auto in addition to the other options ever other Jeep gets.

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a bright red Mustang, we own the Firecracker Sahara above. The OEM light package was not on the Sport S as an option, they are delaying Sahara and Rubicon as Jeep ran out of LED supply. It means a bit of a back up if you order now. Worth every penny tho!
Thank you sir. FYI, your post is what got me going on Firecracker Red in the first place, also, I’m from Iowa as well and almost got mine from the same dealership as you but managed to stay local.

That is sad about the delay in the LED supply :(. But that’s quite ok. The main reason I’m making the switch from Sport to Sahara is because of the LED package. I should’ve have done that from the getgo. It will be worth the wait.

I’ve got a rubicon firecracker red of course. I love red and wouldn’t get any other color for the Jeep. It’s just iconic. I can easily find it in any parking lot. It pops. It’s gorgeuos. It stands out. The red on black contrast is perfect. Too many grey variations out there although the granite is one of the better ones.

835B116C-5A9E-4E1B-BC9F-1CE74E2A9A4C.jpeg
Excellent points. I had a red RX7 years ago, and that always popped. Iconic I also agree - all the adds seem to show red for the JL. Looks like you went with red colored fender flares too! Doesn’t seem like too much, for you?

If I hadn't ordered Ocean Blue, I would have picked Granite Crystal. The red comes out a bit bright depending on the light; if it was more crimson (Roll Tide) it would have been no contest; heck, even Georgia Bulldog red would be fine. but the ones I've seen in-person and in photos has a bit of a wonky look depending on the light (to me at least)

The Granite Crystal just comes across as a better color to me; and you can add some silver in there (custom hood decals, for example, that say Sahara like Rubicon) and it would look pretty nice. Getting "Sahara" in black letters, with silver outline on the hood would look fantastic on a Granite Crystal
Good ideas on the decals. I have always loved gunmetal as a color... but my wife always tells me it will be too much gray/dark color. Additionally, gunmetal granite seems to be very common everywhere lately.

Also, since you may be ordering a Sahara you can opt for select-trac which is pretty much AWD with power going to the front on demand/as needed. Just a thought.

You get the option of 4H Auto in addition to the other options ever other Jeep gets.
Mine will be a stick shift manual tranny, so I can’t get that option for full time auto. That’s ok... I don’t need it.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
At first I ordered with the black fenders and then thought about it some. I know I didn’t want the color matched top, but having color matched fenders would be ok, plus wouldn’t have to worry about fading later. If I didn’t like them then I could always order the black ones or find someone selling them pretty cheap. Harder to go the other way...even though you can order them they come unpainted and then you have to pay to paint them.

I like them. Just enough red and black to contrast.

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
my wife always tells me it will be too much gray/dark color. Additionally, gunmetal granite seems to be very common everywhere lately.
Don't order a color you can see on a black & white TV ;) note: if you're under 30, google that reference ....

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I found some pics from this site of our brothers and sisters with actual vehicles of each color, to aid in the decision. Although the granite looks fantastic, the black top and the black handles and the black accessories don't pop out as much. The thing with the red, although gorgeous too, I worry in the Sahara it might be "too" much red? The black accessories pop out nicely in the red though.

red sahara 5.jpg

granite sahara 3.jpg
Hey my Jeep made the thread!!!! If you're into red, I would go with that color instead. If you plan on upgrading tires and wheels, anything aftermarket makes brighter colors stand out more IMO. I honestly wished I had waited for Ocean Blue since I've always loved blue, but wasn't patient enough :(

Also, think about the interior, any bright color makes the inside frame pop up more and adds that unique color to it. My granite frames blend with the black and you can't really distinguish them from the leather, doors, dash and other parts. Although I was going to go with white, when I saw both in person, Granite was just a lot better to me. If I could go back, I would've waited for Blue or another brighter color. My buddy has an orange 13 Sahara and the interior looks amazing with all of the orange around it.

Good luck on whatever color you decide!

OP
OP
From0toJ

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At first I ordered with the black fenders and then thought about it some. I know I didn’t want the color matched top, but having color matched fenders would be ok, plus wouldn’t have to worry about fading later. If I didn’t like them then I could always order the black ones or find someone selling them pretty cheap. Harder to go the other way...even though you can order them they come unpainted and then you have to pay to paint them.

I like them. Just enough red and black to contrast.
That’s good to know, brother. Thanks for the info. I never thought out aftermarket fender flares. This will be my first Jeep, so I didn’t know you could remove those as well. If I go larger wheels and tires in the future, perhaps I could swap it out. But good idea though, that I can always swap to unpainted, then at least I have the painted already.

Don't order a color you can see on a black & white TV ;) note: if you're under 30, google that reference ....
Lol. This is my 40th bday gift to myself, so I was definitely around when we had an old small black and white TV. So you’re saying get the red eh?

Hey my Jeep made the thread!!!! If you're into red, I would go with that color instead. If you plan on upgrading tires and wheels, anything aftermarket makes brighter colors stand out more IMO. I honestly wished I had waited for Ocean Blue since I've always loved blue, but wasn't patient enough :(

Also, think about the interior, any bright color makes the inside frame pop up more and adds that unique color to it. My granite frames blend with the black and you can't really distinguish them from the leather, doors, dash and other parts. Although I was going to go with white, when I saw both in person, Granite was just a lot better to me. If I could go back, I would've waited for Blue or another brighter color. My buddy has an orange 13 Sahara and the interior looks amazing with all of the orange around it.

Good luck on whatever color you decide!
Oh that was yours??? Lol. Sorry man. I was flying through the Show and Tell threads, and I didn’t see the names. I tried to find red and granite Sahara jeeps that we’re roughly oriented the same way to get the best semblance for comparison.

So after reading your post above - I think what you’re saying is, you’d vote for red? I can’t get blue because I already have a 2012 Mustang with 700hp that’s Kona Blue, and my wife’s car is also Blue. I love blue lol, but wanted something different.

Very good points about the interior though, I never thought about that. My interior will be black cloth! So the granite will make it blend? Hmmmm

Btw here’s my Kona blue Pony.

8A8350AF-E416-4AB7-9306-BCF52972A380.jpeg
A665CF4C-2417-490C-97F0-673CB44587D5.jpeg

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Other considerations for the color choice (take with a grain of salt):

1. Resale. If you plan on selling it one day, which color would sell the best?
2. Red vehicles are the 2nd most ticketed. White is #1. Source: https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/most-and-least-ticketed-types-makes-and-colors-cars
3. Look at your closet. Do you have more red shirts or more grey shirts?
4. Check out the Granite Crystal and Red here: https://www.jeep.com/content/dam/fc...ure/Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Reveal_Brochure_2018.pdf
5. Compare the two colors with the top and doors off.
6. Which color pleases YOU the most?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’m a granite buyer - love the color and how dynamic it is.

That said, wheels are tough for me because of it. I don’t typically love black, I like gunmetal or titanium, etc. But it’s tough to pick a color of gray that won’t look too close to GCM but not quite right (make sense?).

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Folks - long story short, I have a Firecracker Red JLU Sport on order, and in D1 stage for about a week now. However, the more I've been looking at aftermarket items, the more I realized, I probably should have gone with the Sahara from the get-go, esp because of the OEM LED package. By the time I added all the add-ons, like Mopar side steps, lights, etc. - I would have spent "almost" as much on the Sport as I would have if I just got the Sahara from the start. The Rubicon is still too much extra for me, and I don't need all that.

Anyways, I'm in a good enough relationship with my local dealership that they may be able to switch it for me - I plan to go in tomorrow to MAKE MY LAST and FINAL order change...

So - anyways, on to the question.

I went with Red because I like the black/red contrast theme on the Sport. For the Sahara, it comes with the grayish front grille inserts and of course, the body colored fender flares. I figured I'd "still" get red - but I dunno, I struggled with the Granite vs Firecracker debacle before, but now that it's a Sahara, part of me thinks Granite or even Black looks good with the Sahara. What do you all think? Mine will have:

- black premium soft top
- black cloth (I don't want leather at all)
- standard Sahara 17" wheels

Please let me know! Reply now before I meet with them at 9 am tomorrow morning to place an order! Thanks in advance, Forum Community!

EDIT: more pics below the first post.

firecracker.jpg
granite.jpg

I was in the same boat trying to choose which color, I opted for Granite from the reviews, I managed to actually see it in person next to a firecracker red last night and I have no regrets, much better in person.
Sponsored