First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
Like the title states. Help me choose a wheel tire combo. 35" tire. 30% of the year is spent off road in rocky terrain. I also do wheel it.
30 min highway commute to work each way daily also.

Leaning towards the KO2. Like the look of a MT better if its quiet enough.
Wheels i have no clue. I got the rubi with the "upgraded wheels" which i will prob sell as a package with the stock 33".

I do plan to lift it 2-3" as soon as they become available but would like to get the new shoes on asap.

dont know much about wheels ie proper back spacing ect.
Mopar brochure shows the wheels they use with their 35" BFG mud terrain t/a tires is 17" x 8", with a 4.4" backspace, and 12mm offset
Sponsored

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
This question especially goes out to folks who have received their new JLs....The standard features Wrangler Rubicon pages received when I ordered my Rubicon shows LT285/70R17C BSW off road tires. The “All-New Jeep Wrangler-walk around page” - standard content - shows
33”BFG KO2 A/T tires....dealer is no help! Thoughts? I would like to upgrade to 35” tires, on stock Rubi rims if possible....AZCrawl mentioned Cooper STT Pro tires.. Thoughts? Last ? Would like to install these new Rubi tires on my GC Jeep, currently has. Goodyear Fortera P245/70 R17 tires (Dia. 30.5”/width 9.6”/sidewall 6.8”........possible? Thanks for any input
If you decide to sell the KO2s i will buy them. I am in NJ.

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
if you go a 17" wheel look for something close to a 4.5" backspace, the stock wheel is 6.25" so the 4.5 will stick out 1.75 more than stock at a 0 offset... a more positive offset will slide the wheel in towards the jeep and a negative will pop it out.. i would shoot for a 0 offset up to a -18. Get a 5x5 or 5x127 lug pattern and shoot for a 8.5" - 10" wide wheel to open up the 35" tire...
While not incorrect, the first part above assumes equal width rims, and most, as you point out later, go to a wider rim; 9" seems most common, so then that 1.75" has the additional 1.5" rim width added to it, and you end up 3.25" farther out than stock, which can be a problem in some states, as you'll likely be out beyond the fenders. With the JL having wider axles, and some redesigned suspension, it remains to be seen whether the need to have 4.5" BS for lifts is still there. For instance the Mopar 2" JL lift no longer says anything about backspacing requirements like the same lift for the JK did.

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR
While not incorrect, the first part above assumes equal width rims, and most, as you point out later, go to a wider rim; 9" seems most common, so then that 1.75" has the additional 1.5" rim width added to it, and you end up 3.25" farther out than stock, which can be a problem in some states, as you'll likely be out beyond the fenders. With the JL having wider axles, and some redesigned suspension, it remains to be seen whether the need to have 4.5" BS for lifts is still there. For instance the Mopar 2" JL lift no longer says anything about backspacing requirements like the same lift for the JK did.
Good points, just remember a 9” rim is 1.5” wider than stock abs half of that distance moves the wheel out .75” and the other half goes in towards the center of the Jeep so you only gain 2.5” not 3.25. The recommendation on 4.5” comes from Teraflex, they recommend it for lifts abs bigger tire combos.

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
Good points, just remember a 9” rim is 1.5” wider than stock abs half of that distance moves the wheel out .75” and the other half goes in towards the center of the Jeep so you only gain 2.5” not 3.25. The recommendation on 4.5” comes from Teraflex, they recommend it for lifts abs bigger tire combos.
This is wrong. Backspace is a hard measurement from back of outer rim to hub mating surface. Backspace has nothing to do with centerline, that’s where offset comes into play. The 4.5” I was referring to comes from Mopar 2” lift, they recommend it for rear swaybar link clearance as well as front rubbing.
Sponsored