Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As the title says I need some help crossing a griddle to put on my tailgate table from Outback Adventures, here are the two I’m considering

Blackstone 17”

https://blackstoneproducts.com/collections/griddles/products/adventure-ready-17-tabletop-griddle

Pitboss

https://pitboss-grills.com/griddles/portable-tabletop-1-burner-griddle

Both make a dual burner model but I don’t think I have the room to set the grill on my tailgate table going the dual burner route, looking for reviews from those that have either of these or even another brand to consider but want to stay with a griddle as it gives me more options.
Sponsored

Phantasos

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
I have used a Blackstone for the last year or so. I have been very happy with it. I have the single burner version and there is plenty of real estate for cooking breakfast of eggs, bacon, and ... toast for 3 or 4 people. Burgers, grilled veggies, steaks all cook great on it.

I love the cast iron top. Once you spend some time seasoning it, cleaning and maintaining it is a breeze. I used the Alton Brown oven method, but in my outdoor grill.

I usually set it up on a picnic table. Haven't gotten my jeep yet, so I can't speak to how well it would fit on a tailgate table.

I keep planning to get a carry bag, but am still using the box it came in and just keep it in the camper.

The price on the link looked a bit high to me. I got it from Amazon in Dec 2019 for about $85.00 (see BLC's link for the exact one I got), but a quick check didn't find it currently for less than the linked price.

Overall, I would highly recommend it.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Don't have personal experience with either, but a friend of mine loves his blackstone and swears by it.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
ok gents if I were to get the blackstone I see you can get a lid for it so is that a needed item or just a nice thing to have.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
When we were young and did real camping (tent, sleeping bag and ground), we carries an old cast iron griddle and put it on a rock base over the fire. Stored it in an old pillowcase. Nowadays (see pic), Blackstone for sure.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Ok gents I am really leaning towards the Blackstone single burner, I would like to have the 22” one one but my Outback Adventures tailgate table won’t hold that one, I also am considering getting the hood for it but not sure I would benefit from that and it won’t be kept outdoors and only used when going to the beach or at one of the parks or national forests here in Texas.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have the blackstone 17 adventure (rear grease trap) I bought it for the Jeep. I picked up a folding table to put it on, that I now forget the brand and all of that. The size of the blackstone is somewhat large I am not sure if it will fit on typical tailgate tables but the rock slide engineering one might work. With that said it's also somewhat heavy and if you're doing something like smash burger can be quite messy and you're adding more weight to it. That's why I went with a table instead. The hood would maybe keep some of that grease splatter under control, but that's the only use I can think of it. Maybe retain some heat or keep dust/dirt/rain off? It's probably one of those things that if I had a hood I'd find more uses for it. I have little lids I put over things to steam with or what not.

I have no complaints about the blackstone. It's popular enough that you can find all kinds of accessories and help if you need to fine tune it. My biggest problem is I thought a griddle would be a small enough to carry in the jeep for food on the trail or while camping. What I've found though is I've basically given myself a new hobby so by the time I pack up the griddle and all the accessories I want for it and the food I'm going to cook, I'm taking up more room in the back than I ever did before. Now I'm looking at the 36" models for my house. I suspect a skottle would have served me better (packed smaller, not so many accessories that I make it into a hobby).

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the blackstone 17 adventure (rear grease trap) I bought it for the Jeep. I picked up a folding table to put it on, that I now forget the brand and all of that. The size of the blackstone is somewhat large I am not sure if it will fit on typical tailgate tables but the rock slide engineering one might work. With that said it's also somewhat heavy and if you're doing something like smash burger can be quite messy and you're adding more weight to it. That's why I went with a table instead. The hood would maybe keep some of that grease splatter under control, but that's the only use I can think of it. Maybe retain some heat or keep dust/dirt/rain off? It's probably one of those things that if I had a hood I'd find more uses for it. I have little lids I put over things to steam with or what not.

I have no complaints about the blackstone. It's popular enough that you can find all kinds of accessories and help if you need to fine tune it. My biggest problem is I thought a griddle would be a small enough to carry in the jeep for food on the trail or while camping. What I've found though is I've basically given myself a new hobby so by the time I pack up the griddle and all the accessories I want for it and the food I'm going to cook, I'm taking up more room in the back than I ever did before. Now I'm looking at the 36" models for my house. I suspect a skottle would have served me better (packed smaller, not so many accessories that I make it into a hobby).
Yes sir I see the Blackstone has one with a front trap and a rear one as well, I’m guessing the rear grease trap adds to the width needed and this will come into play with a tailgate table.

The Outback Adventures tailgate table says it will hold 45 lbs and I believe the Blackstone is about 1/2 of that but not sure I have the clearance with the rear grease trap so may try to find the one that has the front trap

As you can see my table has a stainless back splash so not to concerned about some grease splatter but also don’t want to get something that won’t fit on the table either

If you don’t mind and have some time could you please measure front to back with the rear trap on so I can get an idea if it will fit, I’m also thinking now that adding the top cover will add weight plus when it opens I will need some additional space in the width so it’s doubtful I would add that unless by chance the griddle in not as deep as I think it is.

I believe the table is 25” x 14.5” and then the bamboo slide is 20” x 12”

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me choose a portable Griddle ADA0A021-60B8-47EA-834E-276350B6C4EA

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I believe the table is 25” x 14.5” and then the bamboo slide is 20” x 12”
Total depth of my blackstone 17 adventure which has the rear grease trap, measured from the tip of the knob to the very back of the grease trap is 22 inches. From the front of the feet to the farthest back of the grease trap is 16 inches. The grease trap is adding about 3.5 inches behind the griddle (the cup itself measures 3 inches but it hangs at an angle). Width, from one edge clear to the outside edge of a green coleman 1 pound propane bottle is 23 inches.

If you're on reddit you can probably find someone at https://www.reddit.com/r/blackstonegriddle/ who can measure one with the front grease trap.

a side note... while setting up to do these measurements I found my griddle is severely warped. It was not like this when I last used it, and I am not sure if it is permanent. We have been very cold lately and it lives in the carry bag in an unheated garage. It may even out when it warms up, but if it stays this warped it will be unusable as is. This is the first disappointment I have had with my blackstone. Just thought I should mention it.

EDIT: This is the folding table I use https://www.gcioutdoor.com/tables-camp-kitchens/slim-fold-cook-station/ Here is a video of it with I believe the blackstone 17 front grease trap on it. Downside of the table is it does not have leveling feet, so it can be annoying.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@MrMischief i doubt the model with the rear trap would work as it’s wider than the table so if I went with that one I would have to get a small table to put it on, I may look to see if the front trap version is available somewhere but will also look at a few others that come up but the Blackstone seems to get decent marks for its performance but I am concerned about the warping issue you mentioned, it’s not a huge amount to spend on a griddle but if it warps and makes it unusable that won’t work.

thanks for taking the time to measure it

Phantasos

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Occupation
Software
Grabbed mine and checked the dimensions. Mine has the grease trap built into the front. WranglerMan's guesses are about right. Mine is 18" deep including the knob. The critical depth is the 12" from the back to the front feet. You will want to leave a bit of a gap to reduce hear transfer, I would think.

Not sure I would use a tailgate table for this though. There is nothing to protect the tailgate from splatters, except the little 2.5" lip on the back. A Coleman's lid and sides will reduce or eliminate splatters onto the jeep.

As to the cover, I didn't bother, so don't know how useful it is. The one thing this has in common with a Jeep is the number and variety of accessories. :)

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Grabbed mine and checked the dimensions. Mine has the grease trap built into the front. WranglerMan's guesses are about right. Mine is 18" deep including the knob. The critical depth is the 12" from the back to the front feet. You will want to leave a bit of a gap to reduce hear transfer, I would think.

Not sure I would use a tailgate table for this though. There is nothing to protect the tailgate from splatters, except the little 2.5" lip on the back. A Coleman's lid and sides will reduce or eliminate splatters onto the jeep.

As to the cover, I didn't bother, so don't know how useful it is. The one thing this has in common with a Jeep is the number and variety of accessories. :)
Thanks for giving me the numbers for the model with the front trap, the table measures 14.5” so I would alittle room and since the back of the tailgate table is stainless as long as I don’t run high heat it should technically work and I’m honestly not concerned with some splatter but I may have to rethink putting a griddle on it and go with a a small folding table
Sponsored