Sponsored

Help me choose a motor! (Canceled my Bronco Order)

chaseshort

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
For some context: I currently own a 19 JLUR. It has 70k miles on it, 2.5 inch lift, 35s, it gets wheeled regularly. I bought this to hold me over while my bronco came in, turns out I love it, and I want a new Jeep.

I work from home, and my daily driving is around 10 miles, but we go on several road trips a year. 6 to 10x to Moab (650 miles round trip) 5 trips to St. George Utah, 1 trip to the San Juans, and other Overlanding/rock crawling focused vacations.

I want to order a new JLUR but I'm stumped on motor options. I like my current v6, but it feels kinda slow on the highway, especially with roof tent and 35s, it doesn't like the downshifting and high speeds.

Diesel: Love it, my dad has a diesel Gladiator and I love this motor, but I'm worried my regular driving isn't enough to regularly get it hot enough, but this is the most road trip-worthy motor.

Rubicon XR 2.0: I've driven the 2.0 extensively and love it, and I think the 4.56 gears and more torque make this seem like the perfect compromise.

4xe: Perfect for my everyday driving, but expensive, and does not do well on road trips.

Help me decide!
Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Wheel your jeep for longer until they introduce the Hurricane V6 turbo :D
If that's not an option, based on your explanation, you will be plenty happy with 2.0 XR.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
3.6L with 4.56 or 4.88 gearing. That's the perfect set up for someone that puts so few daily miles on a rig.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
2.0T was my choice after driving a V6 with the manual, a V6 with the auto and the 2.0T with the 8 spd.

The manual shifting option on the auto is nice. Mine hasn't complained much at all about the lift, larger wheels, roof rack, winch and bumpers that have been added.

07.jpg

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I went with the 3.6L eTorque, we'll see how it goes. But after coming from the 3.8L JK.... ya, nowhere to go but up from there!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@chaseshort

Any use case for the diesel engine would primarily link back with one's daily driving requirements. On that point, 10 miles per day is...modest. Frankly, that's hardly the diesel's wheelhouse. You're correct: they should get hot and they should be recurringly driven.

However, the sheer number of annual road trips that you have planned, and their associated mileage, keeps the oilburner in contention, where it would make sense.

Your favorable experience with the 2.0T puts that engine in the lead, so you do have a proper decision to make here. Best of luck. 👍

Sponsored

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
I love my 4xe, don’t forget to factor in the $7,500 tax rebate. That being said think hard about the Diesel, if it’s available in 5 years I may trade for that. My 11 mile round trip commute is perfect for the 4xe with the bonus of 470 lbft of torque.
Any about it, it’s a Jeep. You can’t go wrong, take the top off and enjoy.

OP
OP
chaseshort

chaseshort

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I love my 4xe, don’t forget to factor in the $7,500 tax rebate. That being said think hard about the Diesel, if it’s available in 5 years I may trade for that. My 11 mile round trip commute is perfect for the 4xe with the bonus of 470 lbft of torque.
Any about it, it’s a Jeep. You can’t go wrong, take the top off and enjoy.
Got the rebate factored in for sure, anytime the gov pays you it's a win!

OP
OP
chaseshort

chaseshort

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2.0T is great for your use. With 43k, heavy 34’s and a 2” lift I can still pull 23 mpg with if I keep it under 70. But that’s with standard sport gearing.

i agree the 3.6 feels slow in comparison
Great feedback! Thank you!
Sponsored