Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

Back ground:
First time jeep owner as of 20 April 2020. I've owner 7 trucks prior to this Jeep...last truck was a 2015 ram 1500

Issue:
My jeep JLUR handles like trash, its like driving a boat(with or without the RTT on the top). drives OK around town but the steering is very loose and kinda sloppy feeling..its all over the road on highway....is this just a "JEEP" thing ?

Objective:
Collect advice/Info and potentially parts recommendations to help me fix my wondering jeep so i can actually LOVE my Jeep like I so badly want to.

Overview:
I purchased the Jeep new from the dealer with the Mopar 2" on it - Never got to drive it stock to compare .....1 week later I installed 35" tires.
The steering was loose feeling so I also installed a Teraflex front track bar which helped a tiny bit, also threw on a Fox ATS steering stabilizer....that did nothing at all
I have a Synergy front track bar and sector shaft brace on order...been 6 weeks waiting so far...hoping this fixes the issues.

Questions: What Am I missing? - Constructive criticism, please help me make my jeep a beast !
what do I need to stiffin up the steering so I actually feel comfortable to drive with one hand on the highway ?
Do i need adjustable control arms for the Mopar 2"? - some people get them and others don't bother...mixed bag it seems

So basic Jeep Noob questions here...sorry for the longer read
But I looked the forums over and over for something to assist and bought a bunch of stuff off recommendations so far not much luck.... if anyone cares to chime in I'd greatly appreciate it

Cheers
Jeep Wrangler JL Help make my 2020 JLUR a better driver jee
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Caster - adjustable LCA’s makes a huge difference. Stock is terrible can’t imagine with a lift with caster in the 4s feels like.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
My jeep handles like trash, its like driving a boat(with or without the RTT on the top). drives OK around town but the steering is very loose and kinda sloppy feeling..its all over the road on highway....is this just a "JEEP" thing ?
Lots and Lots and Lots of reading on the topic here, in case you hadn't found this bit of light bathroom reading on the topic yet...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

Cliff Notes...you are far from alone when it comes to a wandering JL.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar 2" lift front LCA's are a good upgrade for a stock JLUR. JLUR's don't have enough caster from the factory, so these LCA's are a good cheap upgrade.

Now that you have an additional 2" lift, then you're going to need longer aftermarket front LCA's.

Your options are: Adjustable, Fixed, or Geometry Correction Brackets

Brackets maybe the cheapest option.

Fixed LCA's (like Rock Krawler Adventure Series) are good if you don't plan on adding any more suspension lift. You are stuck with the amount of caster they give you though.

Adjustable LCA's are the most expensive option, yet offer the adjustability to fine tune your caster.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joshrs

Joshrs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar 2" lift front LCA's are a good upgrade for a stock JLUR. JLUR's don't have enough caster from the factory, so these LCA's are a good cheap upgrade.

Now that you have an additional 2" lift, then you're going to need longer aftermarket front LCA's.

Your options are: Adjustable, Fixed, or Geometry Correction Brackets

Brackets maybe the cheapest option.

Fixed LCA's (like Rock Krawler Adventure Series) are good if you don't plan on adding any more suspension lift. You are stuck with the amount of caster they give you though.

Adjustable LCA's are the most expensive option, yet offer the adjustability to fine tune your caster.

For whatever reason I assumed Mopar would have included LCA’s in the kit the dealer installed. I guess some Teraflex LCA will be my next investment.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For whatever reason I assumed Mopar would have included LCA’s in the kit the dealer installed. I guess some Teraflex LCA will be my next investment.
They are included, however they still aren't long enough to give the correct amount of caster for a lifted JLUR.

I just put the Mopar LCA's on my stock 2019 JLUR due to it "wandering" at higher speeds. This wandering is typical for a straight axle vehicle without enough caster. The Mopar LCA's are a good fix for a stock JLUR.

But since you have a 2" lift, you're caster is too low as the Mopar LCAs aren't long enough.

On a Sport or Sahara (which have good caster for a stock suspension), the Mopar lift with the Mopar LCA's are a good match.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
As you already have the Synergy front track bar and the track bar brace on order.....

I'd order the front Synergy lower control arms. I'd install them at the recommended 24.5" length as a starting point. You should also check the caster at this length but on a Rubi with 2" lift they will be in the 6 to 7 degree caster range.

This will make you much happier.

Also torque all the factory steering linkage to spec as it's often not done properly leaving the factory.

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Any recommendations ?
Agree with ocean to keep it in the family. If not Teraflex alpine or IR seem easy to adjust and no jam nut. I went metalcloak * 8 (full game changer lift). Sorting through all the noise is tough but caster is the solution.

OP
OP
Joshrs

Joshrs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m definitely gonna give the LCA a go and see if it helps.

I’m a youtube mechanic. I’ll have to see if the [Banned Site] dude has a how to video
If anyone knows a link that’d be awesome

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joshrs

Joshrs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday I installed my new teraflex LCA’s and brought it to a local shop for a wheel alignment.

Their telling me I need a new “front left upper ball joint - must be adjustable”.
To the tune of 800$ on top of the 170$ wheel alignment. This seems fishy to me. I only have less then 6000km on my vehicle
Anyone else have similar experience after installing adjustable LCA’s with a mopar 2” lift kit ???

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
$170CAD for a wheel alignment on a SFA vehicle is an atrocity. The only thing they can adjust is caster and toe and, frankly, you can do it yourself with a measuring tape and an app on your phone.

Additionally, if your Jeep for some reason DOES need a new ball joint, that will be covered under the factory warranty on your brand new Jeep.

Sounds like that shop was hoping to take you for a ride. I'd find a more reputable shop to look over the alignment for a fair price and, if they also diagnose excessive play in the ball joint, make an appointment with your dealer for a warranty repair.
Sponsored