Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I moved my Jeep from the garage to out front of the house this morning since we had work going on out back. I just went out to start it up to go out to pickup a pizza and it wouldn't start. I first opened the doors with the remote as I was walking up to it, then jumped in and hit the start button. I noticed the dash panel had lit up but the starter wasn't cranking. It was then that I noticed a series of messages on the screen about each system that wasn't working (each one was rather brief and I didn't take notes). The message on the screen then said that no remote was found and that I should use the tip of the remote to press the start button (a typical dead battery in remote kind of process).

Needless to say, the Jeep did not start. The open door chime had been ringing the whole time., so I tried shutting the door and starting the Jeep, no bueno. At this point, the door chime is sounding and the dash is flashing on and off. I had to get dinner, so I then jumped in another car and ran for the pizza, i was gone ten minutes. When I got back, the chime had stopped, but the dash (speedometer and tach) are flashing on and off (one longer flash, followed by a quick flash). I had to use the key to open the door and no other light in the Jeep is on.

If this weren't a five week old Jeep I'd say I had dead battery. Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Sponsored

Pistnbroke

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
A dead battery would be the best guess. Try charging it up to see if it will start. I have read that you can connect your charger to the large battery under the hood. Just let it charge for a good long while, to make sure the starting battery gets charged too.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
A dead battery would be the best guess. Try charging it up to see if it will start. I have read that you can connect your charger to the large battery under the hood. Just let it charge for a good long while, to make sure the starting battery gets charged too.
If that doesn’t work, I would disconnect both batteries to reset the ecm. Then the dealer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Check your fuses and relays, especially the external connection #5 which seems to be a fairly common cause of drained batteries. It is likely shorted, loose, or ungrounded.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a battery charger on it right now and its registering 5.1 volts. I'm going to let it charge overnight and then troubleshoot in the morning.

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My wife’s 2015 Silverado had the same issues...wouldn’t start and then got error messages for literally EVERY system. It was just a bad battery...it was still under warranty so the dealer replaced it.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No luck on the charging. It was still showing "0" after charging for 9 hours. Had to call the fCA 800 number and get it flatbed towed to my nearby dealer. The tow truck driver tried to jump it with his battery pack, but all it did was throw the same error code routine, chime, and run the windshield wipers (they were off).

Pistnbroke

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Hopefully it will get fixed soon. Post the dealerships findings, if you don't mind.
Take care.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will add the body of knowledge about this annoyance as soon as I get some info.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
No luck on the charging. It was still showing "0" after charging for 9 hours. Had to call the fCA 800 number and get it flatbed towed to my nearby dealer. The tow truck driver tried to jump it with his battery pack, but all it did was throw the same error code routine, chime, and run the windshield wipers (they were off).
Here is the star case info from my fix:
20180804_082102.jpg

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I just provided that to the dealer, not sure they will pay attention, but I appreciate the info.

Bob

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Here is the star case info from my fix:
20180804_082102.jpg
Was this the stop/start relay or the start pushbutton that required replacement? I cant imagine the faulty start button would cause a dead battery, but stranger things have happened.
Sponsored

Last edited: