HELP - JLUR won't start - acting strange

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Was this the stop/start relay or the start pushbutton that required replacement? I can think imagine the faulty start button would cause a dead battery, but stranger things have happened.
Yes it was. There was a fault somewhere drawing power from the battery, draining it to dead.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Picking it up tonight. Dealer said the battery was dead and defective, had a cracked cell. Said it took two jump packs to start the car, the battery had no juice whatsoever. We will see.......

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Picking it up tonight. Dealer said the battery was dead and defective, had a cracked cell. Said it took two jump packs to start the car, the battery had no juice whatsoever. We will see.......
Assuming they are referring to the ESS/Aux battery that had the issues... ?

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well.......the service tech said that the main battery was damaged internally and would not hold a charge at all. He said they had to replace the battery and that everything else checked out after the battery was replaced and the new one held a charge unlike the original. I have my fingers crossed that they are correct. All covered by warranty of course.

IMG_0342.jpg

Sponsored

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
In my case (BobK) it was a dead main battery (bad cells, I was told) and that depleted the Aux battery too. I haven't had a single problem since Jeep replaced the battery.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
In my case (BobK) it was a dead main battery (bad cells, I was told) and that depleted the Aux battery too. I haven't had a single problem since Jeep replaced the battery.
I was just told my alternator is bad and being replaced tomorrow. The battery tests on both main and auxiliary were normal. The service advisor said he would replace the alternator and start there....since it can maintain proper voltage right now. Anyone else have this issue?

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Make sure they check the high current fuses. When the batteries die, some have reported that the fuse under post #3 gets blown. What this will do is cause the aux battery not to charge. The dealer will charge them both up, hook everything up, and say you are good. a few miles later your jeep will die again as the aux battery drains.

Mack.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport LJ
I moved my Jeep from the garage to out front of the house this morning since we had work going on out back. I just went out to start it up to go out to pickup a pizza and it wouldn't start. I first opened the doors with the remote as I was walking up to it, then jumped in and hit the start button. I noticed the dash panel had lit up but the starter wasn't cranking. It was then that I noticed a series of messages on the screen about each system that wasn't working (each one was rather brief and I didn't take notes). The message on the screen then said that no remote was found and that I should use the tip of the remote to press the start button (a typical dead battery in remote kind of process).

Needless to say, the Jeep did not start. The open door chime had been ringing the whole time., so I tried shutting the door and starting the Jeep, no bueno. At this point, the door chime is sounding and the dash is flashing on and off. I had to get dinner, so I then jumped in another car and ran for the pizza, i was gone ten minutes. When I got back, the chime had stopped, but the dash (speedometer and tach) are flashing on and off (one longer flash, followed by a quick flash). I had to use the key to open the door and no other light in the Jeep is on.

If this weren't a five week old Jeep I'd say I had dead battery. Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Those batteries are way older than the day you bought the Jeep. They could have easily been 2 or more years old. They sit and go dead with all the electronics pulling them down. Sitting below 11 volts destroys a battery really fast. I have had factory batteries last ten years. These sealed batteries are NG when the battery gets low on water they are done. I added water to my batteries every year. I had an Auto Craft $80 battery last 6 years. I removed the non-removable caps off and kept the water up and never let it sit and get low on charge. Those little motorcycle batteries under the fender won't take any abuse at all they are the starting battery and if it is down the big battery under the hood won't start the Jeep. There is a way to bypass that and I am sure there is there are answers on this site that can explain it. I have done that and it is easy but I forgot the procedure. That will get you by until you put a new start battery in.
Sponsored