Sponsored

Help! JL is webbed in a Spot Delivery Scam.

JLJedi

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Dear Jeep friends,

I have an unfortunate situation that I need help with ASAP. I think my lease has been subjected to a spot delivery scheme or yo-yo scam. My innocent JL does not deserve this treatment. :(

6/15 - I went to the dealer at 5pm. They ran my credit and approved my lease terms. I made the down payment that day with my credit card. However, the 2018 Wrangler JL was in transit. They said a few days to arrive. I said okay, sure. I trusted them.

6/22 - It was actually more than a few days. It is now a week. Now I’m back at the dealership at 6:30pm to pick up my JL. Signed the lease contract and drove off.

6/29 - 4pm, I received an email. Not a phone call or a letter in the mail. Just email telling me I need to return to the dealership and have my wife co-sign or pay higher interest because the bank did not approve my lease. I declined to go. Called the sales manager for details. He said I need to come by and redo financing because the original term did not go through. I asked him to tell the bank to call me so that we can have 3 way call to discuss. I need to hear from the bank. He said he’ll arrange the call and call me back.

6/29 - No call back. The internet sales manger texted me instead. Said she spoke with the GM to try persuading the bank but were only able to get me a tier 2 approval. I was approved at tier 1 on day 6/15 (the day they ran my credit).

I emailed back that I will stand firm with my initial contracted agreement and no other offer is acceptable. They have not responded yet.

Dealer Info: Jim Marsh Chrysler Jeep

What should I do? How can I get more help? Do I have the rights to keep the deal I signed for? I really love this JL and don’t want to return it.

I’m confused why they approved me at tier 1 and then saying I’m now only approved for tier 2 or have my wife co-sign. They did not gave me the option to return the JL though.
Sponsored

FishyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is not uncommon and doesn’t sound like a scam. As you noted, having your spouse co-sign is the easy answer to keep terms (MF) the same without going into tier 2 with a higher MF.

OP
OP
JLJedi

JLJedi

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
This is not uncommon and doesn’t sound like a scam. As you noted, having your spouse co-sign is the easy answer to keep terms (MF) the same without going into tier 2 with a higher MF.
Right, but I was already approved at tier 1. This wasn’t pending approval or pre-approval. They ran my credit and determine my rates based on that information. How can they just return and tell me I now don’t qualify after just 1 week?

That part I don’t understand.

But do I have the rights to stand firm on my original agreement?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have never leased so take this info for what it is worth. Also I would read the fine print. Plenty of times when purchasing, not leasing, you are getting a temporary approval based on your info given to include a credit check. Sounds to me like something else came up when the bank was doing its final approval and decided to change your rate.

I know when financing a purchase there is some clause in there that gives the dealer and bank a final approval out. I would read everything close but sounds to me like your best bet is just go have your wife co-sign and be done with it.

Good luck.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Your dealership is a scumbag. Yes, this is a spot delivery scam. Did you sign completed sales paperwork with numbers on it? Ask to see the letter from the bank denying your loan and/or approving your loan at a higher rate. It possibly doesn’t exist. Don’t sign anything else. Don’t give them another nickel. Don’t have anyone else co-sign with you. Tell them to go kick rocks.

Call a lemon law attorney in your state and ask advice. You’ll probably get a lot of advice from “experts” here and some of it will inevitably be wrong.

http://www.lemonlaw.com/spotdelivery.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLJedi

JLJedi

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
I have never leased so take this info for what it is worth. Also I would read the fine print. Plenty of times when purchasing, not leasing, you are getting a temporary approval based on your info given to include a credit check. Sounds to me like something else came up when the bank was doing its final approval and decided to change your rate.

I know when financing a purchase there is some clause in there that gives the dealer and bank a final approval out. I would read everything close but sounds to me like your best bet is just go have your wife co-sign and be done with it.

Good luck.
Okay. I won’t have my wife co-sign just so they can pull the same tactic with my wife’s credit. Guess I’ll just have to return the Jeep and find a dealer who can finalize my deal with tier 1 that I was originally approved for.

OP
OP
JLJedi

JLJedi

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Your dealership is a scumbag. Yes, this is a spot delivery scam. Did you sign completed sales paperwork with numbers on it? Ask to see the letter from the bank denying your loan and/or approving your loan at a higher rate. It possibly doesn’t exist. Don’t sign anything else. Don’t give them another nickel. Don’t have anyone else co-sign with you. Tell them to go kick rocks.

Call a lemon law attorney in your state and ask advice. You’ll probably get a lot of advice from “experts” here and some of it will inevitably be wrong.

http://www.lemonlaw.com/spotdelivery.html
Yes. I have signed the paper work. The lease agreement details all the terms. I did ask them to have the bank call me, or give me the bank info so I can call them, but have not received a call from any of the banks.

Thanks for the link. I won’t be signing anything for sure. I’m staying with my contract or they can keep the Jeep. Not until my account is fully refunded first. :)

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
A lemon law attourney is not going to help you. This has nothing to do with a lemon law so please don’t waste your time.

You have a couple of options; get your wife to co-sign. Then you will be done and enjoying your Jeep. Unless you plan on getting divorced soon, who cares that your wife is co-signing. As long as she has good credit then the combined credit will get you your original contracted terms. This is the easier route if you want to keep the Jeep. If not then go play hardball and tell them you will give the Jeep back. End of the day this is a bank issue, not the dealer. They are not taking on your loan. A bank is. They shop your loan/lease around and obviously based on a simple credit report felt that the banks would offer you tier one. Something is a mis and the banks are not given you tier 1. Who knows why.

The ONLY thing that seems weird here to me is they will not give you the bank info so you can call the bank directly.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yes. I have signed the paper work. The lease agreement details all the terms. I did ask them to have the bank call me, or give me the bank info so I can call them, but have not received a call from any of the banks.

Thanks for the link. I won’t be signing anything for sure. I’m staying with my contract or they can keep the Jeep. Not until my account is fully refunded first. :)
So , what happened ? It is now July 12 . Please tell us what happened ?

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
So , what happened ? It is now July 12 . Please tell us what happened ?
Seconding the request for follow-up. Wish I saw this thread earlier, I missed it somehow. This is a very well known scam that sales pull at dealerships. Retaining the rate by having your wife co-sign is usually just a pretext to get you to come in so they can force you into a higher rate (and pocket the difference between your payment and what actually goes to the bank--even if it's small, an extra $20 per customer adds up real quick). More info courtesy Jalopnik:

https://jalopnik.com/what-to-do-if-a-car-dealer-says-they-made-a-mistake-on-1795217709

Hopefully I'm wrong and it was an honest error. But for others who may experience something similar, be wary about going back for the luxury of paying more...
Sponsored