First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
Found a dealership in Colorado with a pcm in stock. However, their ups is “down”. He said the dealership here could call Mopar expedite and have them do a “d2d” and they would charge their credit card. Price= $229.

I will be talking to the dealership here tomorrow morning. Now I wonder if these guys are marking the part up $229.

Did the dealership ship this out yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Called the dealership last night at 5:26 and left a voicemail. Called again this morning and left another voicemail explaining I needed to verify the part number. Called again today and spoke with receptionist and had her give him another message. It’s 6:30 now, and nothing. Calling the manager in the morning.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Called the dealership last night at 5:26 and left a voicemail. Called again this morning and left another voicemail explaining I needed to verify the part number. Called again today and spoke with receptionist and had her give him another message. It’s 6:30 now, and nothing. Calling the manager in the morning.
My bet is they are putting you on a back burner since you are shopping outside there service dept for parts and if that’s the case that’s total BS…

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@kapk22

Doing this chitt via telephone calls is not the best way. Get in there and talk to them personally.... face to face... You will fair far better.. You have a lot riding on this so to speak.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR

@kapk22

Doing this chitt via telephone calls is not the best way. Get in there and talk to them personally.... face to face... You will fair far better.. You have a lot riding on this so to speak.
So, I called again this morning and left another voicemail, in case he would call back before I could make it in. Turns out he was not working today. I stopped by and the guy filling in for him cancelled the order for me and gave me the info. Turns out it is a different part number than I had found.

The part he ordered and canceled was the ECM (Engine control module) #5150861AH

The PCM I found on the Mopar sites was # 68292196AD

So, apparently the two are different. However, the dealership I spoke with in California told me the an ECM and PCM are the same. He did not have one in stock.

I will call the dealership in Colorado back and see if the part number he was referencing in stock is the 515...

Meanwhile, I have emailed several Mopar sites to see if I can find one in stock with them. Several have already replied that they are on backorder until June as well. BUT, they are substantially cheaper than my local dealership.

And to clarify, when I spoke with the other dealerships, I did provide my vin.

Edit: one just replied saying they have it in stock. I’m calling now and will update. Crossing fingers.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Why didn't you get the 8.4 ?
Originally I was not going to upgrade the head unit, and just add two amps. Then I found out the uconnect needed the expensive pac for the amps and saw the heigh10. The equalizer on the heigh10, additional power for the dash speakers and all the great features were enough to sway me. And I got it for about $300 less then others have spent.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
I am truly sorry to hear this, Im sure we were all hoping for a more positive outcome, I‘m curious how the PCM got shorted/fried but guessing the way these new vehicles are it’s best to disconnect all power before working on the electrical system and it’s surly not like the old days where vehicles were so much more forgiving.
I disagree. I've done multiple electrical adds/mods (including Stinger, Jscan, Livernois - which included several PCM swaps between unlocked and stock PCM for troubleshooting, LEDs, aux lights, switch panel, sub woofer, bed power, etc. etc.) and haven't had an issue yet (and believe me, I'm not a lucky guy).

I believe all that arcing and sparking from disconnecting/connecting the battery is much more risky unless an accessory manuf. or FCA explicitly instructs battery disconnection as part of an install or repair procedure. Just sayin'.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Originally I was not going to upgrade the head unit, and just add two amps. Then I found out the uconnect needed the expensive pac for the amps and saw the heigh10. The equalizer on the heigh10, additional power for the dash speakers and all the great features were enough to sway me. And I got it for about $300 less then others have spent.
Clearly, that was before your PCM fried...

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
her PCM wasn't dead or fried... it was overwritten/corrupted by something. kind of like a bios flash gone bad.
she still had display and the computer was functioning, it was just completely confused.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
Well, I have disconnected the battery, as described and still nothing. This is what the cluster is reading.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do?

710075AD-8A86-4E13-A416-EB29782115BE.jpeg

B7B7460F-E433-4898-AA2D-4D54B9820940.jpeg

A4CB63E5-C04E-4AA3-87A5-6BCE5294CDFA.jpeg

B5FAB91D-A114-4603-B42D-C4464AFAD07C.jpeg
this is what she was getting. the computer was still able to throw codes. my guess is some part of the firmware was overwritten incorrectly by something.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
So, apparently the two are different.
They absolutely are different.
The PCM is a Powertrain Control Module, and it manages everything.
The ECM is the Engine Control Module, and it only manages the engine.
The TCM is the Transmission Control Module, and it only manages the transmission.

In the world I work in, class 8 heavy duty trucks, we have all of the above, plus several others. In today's trucks, depending on the brand you buy, it takes about 22 computers to run one.

Back in the old mechanical days you would put your foot down on the accelerator pedal and it would push a rod that would adjust the carburator and you would begin to move, speed, up, slow down, whatever action you wanted.
Today, you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, and it moves a potentiometer, which tells the transmission (automatic or manual, just different languages) what you want. The transmission asks the engine for the power, and tells the rear end(s) what's coming. The rear end(s) check with the ABS system to confirm traction state, and prepares to receive the power. If the rear ends don't like what's coming it,/they tell the transmission, and the transmission readjusts its request of the engine ... and so on, and so on ... until all the pieces are happy. Millions upon millions of communications per millisecond.
The PCM, which manages this entire system, doesn't really care though if you, the driver, are happy or not.

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
They absolutely are different.
The PCM is a Powertrain Control Module, and it manages everything.
The ECM is the Engine Control Module, and it only manages the engine.
The TCM is the Transmission Control Module, and it only manages the transmission.

In the world I work in, class 8 heavy duty trucks, we have all of the above, plus several others. In today's trucks, depending on the brand you buy, it takes about 22 computers to run one.

Back in the old mechanical days you would put your foot down on the accelerator pedal and it would push a rod that would adjust the carburator and you would begin to move, speed, up, slow down, whatever action you wanted.
Today, you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, and it moves a potentiometer, which tells the transmission (automatic or manual, just different languages) what you want. The transmission asks the engine for the power, and tells the rear end(s) what's coming. The rear end(s) check with the ABS system to confirm traction state, and prepares to receive the power. If the rear ends don't like what's coming it,/they tell the transmission, and the transmission readjusts its request of the engine ... and so on, and so on ... until all the pieces are happy. Millions upon millions of communications per millisecond.
The PCM, which manages this entire system, doesn't really care though if you, the driver, are happy or not.
Good explanation.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
So, here is my plan. Ask the dealership to fix the areas missing paint from the factory)mostly around hinges and bolts), while the ecm is enroute.

Once I get her back I will leave the tazer out, and instal the heigh10 completely. I will video the entire process and take a bunch of pictures. I will disconnect the negative and separate the leads, as well as the positive (just to be safe). If everything is good to go, I will get ahold of Z automotive and stinger and see if they will support me in the event something else goes wrong.

Thoughts?
Sponsored