kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
They absolutely are different.
The PCM is a Powertrain Control Module, and it manages everything.
The ECM is the Engine Control Module, and it only manages the engine.
The TCM is the Transmission Control Module, and it only manages the transmission.

In the world I work in, class 8 heavy duty trucks, we have all of the above, plus several others. In today's trucks, depending on the brand you buy, it takes about 22 computers to run one.

Back in the old mechanical days you would put your foot down on the accelerator pedal and it would push a rod that would adjust the carburator and you would begin to move, speed, up, slow down, whatever action you wanted.
Today, you put your foot down on the accelerator pedal, and it moves a potentiometer, which tells the transmission (automatic or manual, just different languages) what you want. The transmission asks the engine for the power, and tells the rear end(s) what's coming. The rear end(s) check with the ABS system to confirm traction state, and prepares to receive the power. If the rear ends don't like what's coming it,/they tell the transmission, and the transmission readjusts its request of the engine ... and so on, and so on ... until all the pieces are happy. Millions upon millions of communications per millisecond.
The PCM, which manages this entire system, doesn't really care though if you, the driver, are happy or not.
Thank You. The one parts guy at the dealership in California was wrong then.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So, here is my plan. Ask the dealership to fix the areas missing paint from the factory)mostly around hinges and bolts), while the ecm is enroute.

Once I get her back I will leave the tazer out, and instal the heigh10 completely. I will video the entire process and take a bunch of pictures. I will disconnect the negative and separate the leads, as well as the positive (just to be safe). If everything is good to go, I will get ahold of Z automotive and stinger and see if they will support me in the event something else goes wrong.

Thoughts?
In regard to support from Zauto or Stinger I guess it depends on what type of support you are talking, if your talking support in regard to repairs if something goes wrong that’s somewhat unrealistic as they are not physically involved in the MOD but if your talking say technical support that’s totally different and one would expect.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
My bet is they are putting you on a back burner since you are shopping outside there service dept for parts and if that’s the case that’s total BS…
I got a call from the service advisor yesterday (after I called and left a voicemail) and he asked if I could send him the installation manual for the stereo I was putting in. He said it would help the techs in determining what may have gone wrong. Instead, I emailed him exactly what I did during the process, as well as the link to the instal video stinger has for the heigh10.

At 3:30 today he called and said the Jeep was done and I could pick it up before 6. The charge was for the quoted labor, $620, as provided the ECM. See the attached receipt and note the comments.

They still referred to the module as a “PCM” and that it was “fried”.

I intend to call and see if I can talk to the tech that worked on the Jeep and ask what the “pinched body harness” means.

Just curious what your guys’ thoughts are with this.

Almost forgot to mention what I found when I got into the Jeep when I picked her up. It seems as if they cut all of the zip ties holding the wires up under the drivers side dash area and left them hanging everywhere. This kinda pisses me off, because none of them were connected to anything on either end, and I had to push them up out of the way to drive (I didn’t bring any zip ties). Same on the passenger side. Rant complete.

C8402CBD-0B43-40A5-B813-10ACF6362FD2.jpeg

F3FEBA58-C5A2-4C72-989B-8963DDBC37DD.jpeg

8A7635CF-7C27-4207-898D-047061CD1794.jpeg

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I got a call from the service advisor yesterday (after I called and left a voicemail) and he asked if I could send him the installation manual for the stereo I was putting in. He said it would help the techs in determining what may have gone wrong. Instead, I emailed him exactly what I did during the process, as well as the link to the instal video stinger has for the heigh10.

At 3:30 today he called and said the Jeep was done and I could pick it up before 6. The charge was for the quoted labor, $620, as provided the ECM. See the attached receipt and note the comments.

I intend to call and see if I can talk to the tech that worked on the Jeep and ask what the “pinched body harness” means.

Almost forgot to mention what I found when I got into the Jeep when I picked her up. It seems as if they cut all of the zip ties holding the wires up under the drivers side dash area and left them hanging everywhere. This kinda pisses me off, because none of them were connected to anything on either end, and I had to push them up out of the way to drive (I didn’t bring any zip ties). Same on the passenger side. Rant complete.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP,,, Jeep won’t start :( 8A7635CF-7C27-4207-898D-047061CD1794

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP,,, Jeep won’t start :( 8A7635CF-7C27-4207-898D-047061CD1794

That's how they gave you the Jeep to take home when they were finished with fixing it...?

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
That's how they gave you the Jeep to take home when they were finished with fixing it...?
Yep...

Those were all the wires I had run up from both sides to the area behind the screen during the install.

I did have the glove box and plastic cover under the steering wheel off when I took it in. But the wires were all tucked away. I will have to re run them when I decide to do the install again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I can't see how anything you did would have "pinched" the body harness.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

If I climbed in my Jeep after giving them that much $$$ for a repair and it looked like that I would have been pissed as well but I personally would have never left there lot, this is one of the main reasons I hate dealer service folks….lots of times they do a half assed job.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
If I climbed in my Jeep after giving them that much $$$ for a repair and it looked like that I would have been pissed as well but I personally would have never left there lot, this is one of the main reasons I hate dealer service folks….lots of times they do a half assed job.
Service advisor wasn’t there when I picked her up. I plan on waiting to complain about things until after they tell me exactly what was pinched during the instal. There is also a knocking under the Jeep now. Not sure what they would have been working on outside. Will have to crawl under.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Are there wires from the “body harness” under the drivers seat, center console, or under the Jeep at all?

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I can't see how anything you did would have "pinched" the body harness.
Where does the “body harness” go? Center console? Under the drivers seat? Behind the uconnect screen?

I am also pretty sure they still have my floor mat... going to call them in the morning. He isn’t replying to emails.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
These Dealer Service folks all seemed to be pushed to be fast, fast, fast and I’m sure in doing so they just want to get repairs done and could care less on the cosmetics of how your vehicle looks when you get it back.

I do use the Dealer for oil changes as I got a very good deal on the pricing for a (4) change package but I stand in the bay when they are changing the oil and if I see anything I don’t like I speak my mind, what got there attention the most is when I requested he use a torque wrench on the drain plug and filter cap.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
This may help:

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP,,, Jeep won’t start :( 1621603974690

There is a blueish/purplish harness labelled body that appears to run across the dash area and down both sides of the vehicle.

Check out this thread if you want to download all the wiring diagrams for the JL.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams/
That’s super helpful. Thank you.

The advisor responded to my email this morning and said he believed the technician said it was under the drivers seat. If this is the case, my anxiety has lessened about finishing the install.

On a side note, I was forced to connect the tazer back up after I realized I had no turn signals. I had the halogens swapped out around Christmas time. I didn’t want to run the risk of getting a ticket or causing a wreck.

Should know if the floor mat is there some time today when my fiancé stops by the dealership.

I am still confused about the new knocking noise. Almost sounds like a loose center cap, but I crawled around underneath and in the engine compartment last night, along with checking all lug nuts and center caps. Nothing.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
These Dealer Service folks all seemed to be pushed to be fast, fast, fast and I’m sure in doing so they just want to get repairs done and could care less on the cosmetics of how your vehicle looks when you get it back.

I do use the Dealer for oil changes as I got a very good deal on the pricing for a (4) change package but I stand in the bay when they are changing the oil and if I see anything I don’t like I speak my mind, what got there attention the most is when I requested he use a torque wrench on the drain plug and filter cap.
I wish I had the option to watch them. I am working every minute I can to afford the bills and Jeep.

Still trying to stay positive in all of this.

Thank You all again for help

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Are all these problems you’re having on the 2021
Jeep?
Sponsored