Sponsored

Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire?

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Excellent advise by all above...

1590460577840.png

This is my Sahara with 35x12.5 KO2s on 18x9 rims with a Mopar 2" lift. The tires are closer to 34.5" in diameter. All KO2's for 18" rims are E rated. They are stiffer and heavier than C rated tires. This translates to a firmer on road ride. As for power loss, I can't speak to that yet because I'm only at 1200 miles and haven't really been above 4000 rpm. I'm doing an oil change at 1500 miles and will know more about the power loss then. I'm also not a lead foot. What I do know is that I haven't seen 8th gear...ever. Though, I do see 7th.

The Black Rhino wheels that you're looking at have a -18 offset so they will stick out front the wheel well more than mine (if memory serves mine are +1 offset). I don't have a picture from the front to see the width, but mine stick out about 1.25" -- eyeballing it. The 19 mm difference is about 3/4" so the Black Rhinos and KO2s may stick out about 2".

Something else to consider is the weight of the wheel on the tailgate. I think the total weight of my wheels are somewhere around 96 pounds (each). Too much weight for the tailgate without alternatives (1. Mopar or aftermarket reinforcement bracket & a relocation plate raising the wheel above the bumper, 2. aftermarket hinged tire carrier, or 3. tire carrier on the bumper).

I looked at the website for KO2s. The 33x12.5R18 are about 5 pounds less than the 35x12.5R18. Their true diameter is about 32.5 inches, so you're not gaining that much over stock (except in width).
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/all-terrain/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html

I hope this helps.
Do you know if there is a change in terms of what is warrantied on your Jeep if you do the Mopar liFy guild you did and have a 3rd party mechanic install it vs the Jeep dealership? I am just curious if it would be considered “playing it safe” by having the work done by a Jeep dealership vs an off-road mechanic shop.
Sponsored

ScoobySnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater, 2020 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if there is a change in terms of what is warrantied on your Jeep if you do the Mopar liFy guild you did and have a 3rd party mechanic install it vs the Jeep dealership? I am just curious if it would be considered “playing it safe” by having the work done by a Jeep dealership vs an off-road mechanic shop.
First, I am no where near an authority on this subject and I don’t remember what the actual terms say (I have a hard time remembering legalese). Second, many reasonable people disagree on whether using the dealer to install the lift will negate any warranty “issues/complications” later. There is simply an inherent risk to customizing a new, engineered to spec. vehicle.

I had the dealer install my lift for the following reasons:
1. In the hopes (foolish?) that it would help with the warranty (if needed). I’ve read in these forums that a 2” lift with 35” tires is a “light” mod and “shouldn’t” affect the warranty. Though, grain of salt and all...
2. Their price didn’t seem unreasonable for where I live. Others have had the Mopar 2” lift installed for cheaper (many posts on this site), but I live in an expensive county and knew it would be more. I also got 8% under invoice where others were getting far less. So, I figured there wouldn’t be much room to work with when considering add-ons.
3. I don’t know who a good off-road mechanic shop is in my area.

A small tangent to our discussion, but may be relevant...I was just reading through this thread...(not meant to scare you, just to provide a glimpse of what is said on the warranty subject)...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...f-aftermarket-stuff.51836/page-6#post-1133699

I’m hoping that others will chime in to give you more perspective. Oh, and I really am trying to write shorter posts. lol

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hey, sorry for the delay...work gets in the way too often (ha, ha).

- Sounds like you don’t notice any power loss in low torque such as taking off at stop lights or stop signs. Passing cars. Situations where your pushing the gas pedal maybe half way. Not floored.

From my limited knowledge, there is power loss, but not to the point where it’s dangerous — maybe at most annoying (lack of 8th gear type of annoying). Like I previously said, I avoid revving the engine too much during what I consider the break in period. By avoiding revs above 4000 rpm (mostly) I’m also keeping the engine out of its power band. That being said, I love the 8 speed transmission in the JL. The gearing in it helps with part throttle input.

- How did you find the offset for the beige Rhino wheels I mentioned above? I do t want the wheels to stick way out from the Jeep, so maybe they aren’t a good option?

Here’s the product page for the Black Rhino Armory wheels. Scroll down the page to find the wheel specs.
https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-armory.php

- Looks like these wheels have an offset that would keep them closer to under the fender?
Check this out:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/blac...tte-gunmetal-wheel-18x8-1880war305127g71.html

I think the stock wheel offset is +45, so the Warlord wheels offset of +30 is just over 1/2 inch less offset. Though, it isn’t just the outside of the fender to think about. By adding tires that are up to 2.5 inches wider than stock, don’t forget to account for that towards the inside as well — to avoid any type of rubbing. This wheel (and offset) looks to be what you’re looking for.

+30 offset
1590539945350.png

-18 offset
1590540093734.png

Website where I got the data:
https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

There are other useful sites. Just search for wheel size calculator.

Sorry for the length. Again, hope this helps!
One last question for you. Do you know if KO2 in a 35” would fit on stock 18” wrangler wheels without spacers? The more I ask people about spacers they say - don’t do them. The tires I have on the 18” wheel right now are 255/70R18. They are the 18” Tech Grey Wheel with polished face And came direct from the Jeep factory when I built the Jeep. See pic. Thanks!!

D2576157-4F46-4EEE-AFF9-CC3B29EDE806.png

Blackey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon JL
How much did the 35’s raise you vehicle to the poster how did put 35‘s on I have a rubicon with 33’s and need to know how much it raises the body with and without the lift. In my mind going from\ 33’s to 35’s should raise it around 1” is that correct
Sponsored