Sponsored

HELP !!! Is my 2018 Jeep Compass totaled ??

Do you think my car is totaled ?

• Total voters

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My car trade in value is around 18,000 - 20,000
You should see if you have positive equity in your loan. The insurance company will pay you average retail. And in many States they pay sales tax, registration cast, plate cost, accessory cost.
Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I was the first owner, 31,000 no other accidents. It’s such a beautiful car but with so much damage Idek if I want it back , and who’s to say when they tear it down it’s not another 1000$ worth of repairs, the body shop stated that it flagged as a total loss in there system
If the body shop has flagged it, then it should be totalled. Hope Insurance doesn’t argue that with you. Did you get a police report yet?

Think you are getting a lot of flak here because this forum is meant for 2018 and later Jeep Wranglers only. I can understand you are a little bit stressed due to your car but us Wrangler drivers may not be the most helpful for you as $12k damage on our vehicles that start at $30k = not totalled usually. Some of us end up dropping that much on mods within a course of one or two years, lol.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Why is the owner of a "Compass" posting these questions in a Wrangler forum? ? Are there no Compass Forums out there?? I also think it odd that no mention of the model was initially made, nor were there any pictures in this post.
Kind of like if I was the owner of a wrecked Hyundai that had $10,000 in damage, and posted the same vague questions in a Ferrari Forum.
Is it just a large audience that this person wants, for attention??

Last edited:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
should I just go ahead and let them total it since it’s so much damage???
Yes. :)

I totaled my first Jeep (2020 Wrangler
Sport) in May. Geico remotely estimated $1,700 in repairs. The appraiser‘s handling seemed like he was convinced I was involved in a mall fender bender. LOL

Um, nope:

https://donmontalvo.com/2020/05/22/looking-back-at-sunday/

Got an independent vehicle safety advocate to look at it and found the “tub” and the frame were bent. His report was extensive, and had 14 pages of issues down to the smallest nuts and bolts.

His report alerts Geico that Jeep’s parent company forbids attempting to repair the tub or frame.

Geico walked back their assessment and wrote it off. A month of GAP work in my end, and I now have a new Jeep (2020 Wrangler Sport S)

Lesson learned, add ALL mods to your policy. :)

PS, My blog has several posts about the accident and experience, from mid May and on:

https://donmontalvo.com/2020/05/

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
From " Damsel in Distress ", to Snarky Troll...you have been disingenuous , to say the !east. Asking, and answering your own questions quite well. So, why are you here ?
This is what single moms do.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
This is what single moms do.
Honestly in her defense think about this from her perspective. Yes I know this is a JL forum and anything besides a Wrangler doesn’t really belong here.

but: let us put ourselves in her shoes. What if she is an exhausted mother and has nobody to really guide her thru this tough process? This can be pretty intimidating. Now add a child, a pandemic and a job in the mix. Pretty difficult isn’t it?

us Jeepers are known for being rather technical versus your average car driver. Many of us run our own mods while so many other drivers can’t even change their own batteries! Maybe she sees a technical/knowledgeable bunch who might be able to guide her thru this difficult process for her? Has anybody thought of that.

As far as I am concerned, real Jeepers are known for helping others out even if they are not driving a Wrangler. I have experienced that myself when I didn’t have a Jeep. Some years ago, my fiancée, I and three of our friends were stranded with an overheated engine in the middle of an off road Beach in a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder because I thought I will be ok without my tires deflated. Guess who helped me? It was three groups of complete strangers who did not know me or each other. Guess what these guys and girls were driving? 2 were JKUs and 1 was a TJ. Not only did I get towed out the beach, one of these complete strangers showed me that my Pathfinder’s battery terminals are slightly corroded and cleaned them up for me! Those my friends are real Jeepers! Massive respect to those of us who chose to help this single mother out rather than criticise her for posting this at this forum.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Maybe they want to buy a wrangler with the settlement from the Compass.

Too many real problems in the world. imho a Compass owner posting in a Wrangler forum really isn't one of them. Now a Prius owner... :LOL:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Honestly in her defense think about this from her perspective. Yes I know this is a JL forum and anything besides a Wrangler doesn’t really belong here.

but: let us put ourselves in her shoes. What if she is an exhausted mother and has nobody to really guide her thru this tough process? This can be pretty intimidating. Now add a child, a pandemic and a job in the mix. Pretty difficult isn’t it?

us Jeepers are known for being rather technical versus your average car driver. Many of us run our own mods while so many other drivers can’t even change their own batteries! Maybe she sees a technical/knowledgeable bunch who might be able to guide her thru this difficult process for her? Has anybody thought of that.

As far as I am concerned, real Jeepers are known for helping others out even if they are not driving a Wrangler. I have experienced that myself when I didn’t have a Jeep. Some years ago, my fiancée, I and three of our friends were stranded with an overheated engine in the middle of an off road Beach in a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder because I thought I will be ok without my tires deflated. Guess who helped me? It was three groups of complete strangers who did not know me or each other. Guess what these guys and girls were driving? 2 were JKUs and 1 was a TJ. Not only did I get towed out the beach, one of these complete strangers showed me that my Pathfinder’s battery terminals are slightly corroded and cleaned them up for me! Those my friends are real Jeepers! Massive respect to those of us who chose to help this single mother out rather than criticise her for posting this at this forum.
Do you believe that women are inherently incompetent? I don't. I think she can figure out what to do without clogging up the forum of a vehicle she doesn't own...

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you believe that women are inherently incompetent? I don't. I think she can figure out what to do without clogging up the forum of a vehicle she doesn't own...
I like giving people the benefit of doubt, man. I’d try to help her out. Just the way I am....

your point is also 100% valid.
Sponsored