First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Update: police found the car but it was reported stolen. Pretty much case close at this point. Taking in my Jeep in on Wednesday
Would your uninsured motorist coverage come into play here?
Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Update: police found the car but it was reported stolen. Pretty much case close at this point. Taking in my Jeep in on Wednesday
So, what was the make and model..

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
We had a drunk driver crash through the perimeter wall around our property last year. Sounded like a bomb hit the house. They ended up in our backyard, backed out, and sped away. Similarly, we had parts that we IDed as Infiniti, and the neighbors surveillance video showing the whole thing, but without a view of the license plate. The next day I was driving to the store and, a few miles from our house, saw the police had stopped an Infiniti with heavy front-end damage and both driver's side tires completely gone - they'd been stopped for driving on the rims. The police had no idea about the linkage to my property damage when they stopped her, drunk again, at 10am on a Sunday morning.

Sometimes the CSI stuff works.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If a stolen car rams you off the road, whose insurance should be paying for the accident?

Assuming they find and recover the stolen car, is it one incident that the owner of the stolen car is responsible for?
I vetted this matter through my wife, who used to manage a State Farm office.

Insurance laws will vary according to the state, and claim resolution will also be guided by what coverages are or aren't evident on the relevant policies. The following is therefore just general discussion, and nothing more.

-The owner of the stolen vehicle, call him John Doe, would, when the vehicle is returned to him, make a claim against his policy's Comprehensive line item for any damage to it that occurred while it was in the thief's possession. Mr. Doe's policy would not initially be assigned a claim for the costs to repair Alex's Wrangler. This is because Mr. Doe performed reasonable due diligence by reporting his vehicle as stolen, as Alex himself asserts.

-The owner of the vehicle damaged by the hit and run event, Alex, would make a claim against his automobile policy for damage repair to his vehicle, if the relevant line item coverage is already part of his policy. Why? See the last two sentences in the preceding paragraph.

If Alex's policy doesn't have coverage such that his repair costs would be initially paid by his policy, he'd likely have to pay for them out of pocket. He could then pursue reimbursement from the thief, provided that person is caught, charged and has resources sufficient to make restitution.

Sponsored

ShaunBJeeps

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee X4, 2017 GMC Sierra
that rim looks a bit compromised also. Theres no telling if the frame shifted a bit.. it does look there is a bit of pinching of the metal at the seam all the way down where the bumper covers it. feel sorry for OP
According to a family member who is a cop, this is petty common. When someone hits something while they are drunk, they go home snd immediately report the car as stolen. This absolves themselves of responsibility. Not saying that’s the case here, but after the first post, I assumed the culprit would be a “stolen” vehicle.

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
Since you're not attempting to be anonymous or hide your identity as you left your plate visible, can I ask if this is on Harbor Avenue maybe just before it turns into Alki? It kind of looks like that setting from your images.

It caught my attention as some friends of ours used to live in an apartment further down on Alki and had their vehicle hit while parked on the street a year or two ago. They were on the waiting list to have enclosed parking. They never caught the culprit as there was no evidence left at the scene like you had but there was a lot of damage done to their newer SUV.

I'd be too scared to park anything but a junker on that street because of all the drunks and high drivers cruising that area.

It reminds me of one time decades ago that I had a parked vehicle hit. I came back to the car and found a note on the windshield. It was one of those proverbial "People watching might think that I'm leaving my address and phone number on this piece of paper because I hit your car but they are wrong." This was before surveillance cameras were all over the place and it was just a broken tail light and some minor scratches so police just told me to claim it on my insurance and forget about it.

It's good to hear that they at least found the car. Yeah, the owner having reported it stolen will hamper getting somebody else's insurance to cover it unless some surveillance footage or witnesses happen to show up. Good luck in getting things fixed. Update on how things progress.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
According to a family member who is a cop, this is petty common. When someone hits something while they are drunk, they go home snd immediately report the car as stolen. This absolves themselves of responsibility. Not saying that’s the case here, but after the first post, I assumed the culprit would be a “stolen” vehicle.
Interesting, though seems like it may be easy to get caught lying about it being stolen, in which case that may get you in trouble?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
one time decades ago that I had a parked vehicle hit. I came back to the car and found a note on the windshield. It was one of those proverbial "People watching might think that I'm leaving my address and phone number on this piece of paper because I hit your car but they are wrong." This was before surveillance cameras were all over the place and it was just a broken tail light and some minor scratches so police just told me to claim it on my insurance and forget about it.
Some years ago, purely by chance, I witnessed a bump-and-run in the parking garage at work.

I left a note on the [mildly] damaged vehicle with my number and a brief mention that I was a witness in the matter. The vehicle owner called me and I provided the make, model and license number of the offending vehicle, as well as a clear description of the driver. The owner thanked me and said she'd follow up with me, as a courtesy, to let me know how things proceeded.

True to her word, the owner called a day or so later with an update. The driver of the vehicle was identified and contacted, and she was only too happy to assist in resolving the matter. Yes, the same person who purposely drove well away from the open parking stalls next to the vehicle she just bumped, the same vehicle on which she didn't leave her contact information. So, the matter was resolved, but I was still SMH a bit.

--------------

As for the quoted text concerning the type of person who fakes leaving a note with their contact information, when they absolutely should do so, that invokes a much larger SMH moment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Al630

Al630

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I vetted this matter through my wife, who used to manage a State Farm office.

Insurance laws will vary according to the state, and claim resolution will also be guided by what coverages are or aren't evident on the relevant policies. The following is therefore just general discussion, and nothing more.

-The owner of the stolen vehicle, call him John Doe, would, when the vehicle is returned to him, make a claim against his policy's Comprehensive line item for any damage to it that occurred while it was in the thief's possession. Mr. Doe's policy would not initially be assigned a claim for the costs to repair Alex's Wrangler. This is because Mr. Doe performed reasonable due diligence by reporting his vehicle as stolen, as Alex himself asserts.

-The owner of the vehicle damaged by the hit and run event, Alex, would make a claim against his automobile policy for damage repair to his vehicle, if the relevant line item coverage is already part of his policy. Why? See the last two sentences in the preceding paragraph.

If Alex's policy doesn't have coverage such that his repair costs would be initially paid by his policy, he'd likely have to pay for them out of pocket. He could then pursue reimbursement from the thief, provided that person is caught, charged and has resources sufficient to make restitution.
Exactly what Progressive told me. My policy covers all of the cost.
Since you're not attempting to be anonymous or hide your identity as you left your plate visible, can I ask if this is on Harbor Avenue maybe just before it turns into Alki? It kind of looks like that setting from your images.

It caught my attention as some friends of ours used to live in an apartment further down on Alki and had their vehicle hit while parked on the street a year or two ago. They were on the waiting list to have enclosed parking. They never caught the culprit as there was no evidence left at the scene like you had but there was a lot of damage done to their newer SUV.

I'd be too scared to park anything but a junker on that street because of all the drunks and high drivers cruising that area.

It reminds me of one time decades ago that I had a parked vehicle hit. I came back to the car and found a note on the windshield. It was one of those proverbial "People watching might think that I'm leaving my address and phone number on this piece of paper because I hit your car but they are wrong." This was before surveillance cameras were all over the place and it was just a broken tail light and some minor scratches so police just told me to claim it on my insurance and forget about it.

It's good to hear that they at least found the car. Yeah, the owner having reported it stolen will hamper getting somebody else's insurance to cover it unless some surveillance footage or witnesses happen to show up. Good luck in getting things fixed. Update on how things progress.
Yea it’s right across alki viewpoint

OP
OP
Al630

Al630

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I was thinking about that as a possibility too, but i doubt cops gonna dig deeper...

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

Looks like the name "Alki" is quite appropriate for an area frequented by so many drunks.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Looks like the name "Alki" is quite appropriate for an area frequented by so many drunks.
it took you 1.5 years to come up with that little gem. Gotta be quicker than that man, specially round these here parts.
Sponsored