boggy17

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2 door
Hi Everyone!

New Wrangler owner here (my first Jeep actually) and I'm loving every bit of it. Well, at least everything but the sound system. I've already replaced all 8 of the 3.5" and 4" speakers in the car which sound great and I can actually turn up the volume when the top is off without distortion. I figured they wouldn't add much bass since the speakers are so small, but to my surprise they actually have slightly less thump than the stock ones. The 4" are JBL 4020s and the 3.5" are Infinity REF-3032s if anyone is curious.

I pulled out my Alpine amp and 10 inch sub from my old car, which I loved, but I'm nervous about adding that setup to the Wrangler with the fear of the amp getting accidentally wet. It would also limit my ability to wash out the floor of the car with a hose like many do.

My idea is to maybe sell the sub/amp and get one of those all in one powered subwoofers to replace it like the Kicker 11HS8. My hopes are to keep as much functionality of the Jeep as I can. I've seen some pictures of people installing subs on the tailgate by hanging them on there, can someone point me in the right direction on how to actually do this? I've tried searching through this forum and googling but haven't really had much luck.

Of course, I'm also open to all of your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP
boggy17

boggy17

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2 door
That’s exactly the type of sub I’m thinking of with that Kicker i initially posted. My only concern with doing that is I won’t be able to wash out the floor of it (something I’ve already had to do my puppy got sick in the car) - unless it’s able to be moved in and out of there easily?

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
That’s exactly the type of sub I’m thinking of with that Kicker i initially posted. My only concern with doing that is I won’t be able to wash out the floor of it (something I’ve already had to do my puppy got sick in the car) - unless it’s able to be moved in and out of there easily?
I don't have one in my JL, but it could very easily be removed in my TJ. Measure the clearance under the rear seats and see if it'll work.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
They do make a “speakerless” woofer. You mount it to your seat or tub, and you “feel” the bass more than hear it. I’ve been in vehicles with them before, and they’re quite impressive for how small they are.

Sponsored

JLStorm

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I recently replaced my 12" sub that was in a huge box with this 10" slim profile. It hits well enough for my taste.
It won't fit under my seat, so I rigged up a mounting system using a locking table hinge they use in RVs. The sub can sit vertically or be folded back horizontally to get it out of the way for camping gear or what not. No rattles so far.
I mounted the whole assembly using decking braces to the rear seat brackets and the tie down post closest to the driver. My goal was to avoid drilling into my Jeep and I managed to install this without having to do that.
The last pic shows the sub in the horizontal position. Ignore the attempt to cover the wood frame with some vinyl material I had laying around. I've since removed the material and stained the wood. It looks much better now and I love how it turned out.
Note: I built a security deck that covers my cargo area, so this sub isn't viewable when that's on, even with the top completely off. Bonus, the contained area turns it into a sub box and it has even more of a punch. LOL
hWFukiwku0aF6kk-ZTonTWV7WGucfQ5LyzoEVJA4pTgRVI6DFP5lnZbpRaXeI2DxUg7mA7DjRsS2YWU7r=w1410-h1057-no.jpg

SLzGOK1PTZ7panSJFQl0zxJwn2UqrpXrOJcvhJUYWPzBz1HTIykAus6quG4IHpjx1O3QNy6SDai_NnsEW=w1410-h1057-no.jpg

lKgARUXElF0ZUQ6wHYMfojTKSAwpxQO_qoiL81HHO3Z-q1hdNhuRsNckGi2fv2m5qyJ1FFl9e5OwPOOkO=w1410-h1057-no.jpg

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
More bass in a Wrangler? It's a sign of times or I'm definitely too old, lol. Here's an idea, trade it in for a Gold Chrysler 300 with the "Beats" sound system in it. Fuzzy red dice hanging from rear view mirror optional....:)

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Try different lures, might catch more

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Only thing that makes speakers "marine grade" is coating on the wires. All speakers that are not paper (paper is cheapest of the cheap), are waterproof. Same with amps.
Sponsored