Sponsored

Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep.

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
FAQ says dealers add the cost to monthly financing payment, around $60 per year. Pretty expensive if they did put it on your financing and pretty dishonest if not disclosed.
Whoa... have you checked your finance contract to see if this was "added" without them telling you very_clearly that they were charging you for this????

Asking as I grew up in the auto business and crap like that (IF that's what happened, hopefully not) drove my family insane as it gave all dealers, even reputable ones, a bad name...

I was initially hoping this was the result of a dealer exchange or inventory buyout and your dealer didn't try to use it as a price bump, but seeing the users quote about adding it with financing/insurance really piqued my interest...
Sponsored

OP
OP
BCalvin

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Whoa... have you checked your finance contract to see if this was "added" without them telling you very_clearly that they were charging you for this????

Asking as I grew up in the auto business and crap like that (IF that's what happened, hopefully not) drove my family insane as it gave all dealers, even reputable ones, a bad name...

I was initially hoping this was the result of a dealer exchange or inventory buyout and your dealer didn't try to use it as a price bump, but seeing the users quote about adding it with financing/insurance really piqued my interest...
I did not get charged for it.

I made an out the door offer and the dealership accepted it with no foul play at closing.
I may have known more about the added items if it wasn't a rushed COVID deal. I rushed them and stuck to a number.

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Glad to hear that!

I made an out the door offer and the dealership accepted it with no foul play at closing.
I may have known more about the added items if it wasn't a rushed COVID deal. I rushed them and stuck to a number.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Knowing how dealerships work, I would bet they add it to all vehicles sold and try to add it to the cost, but if you say you won't pay they just leave it installed as it would cost them extra in labor to remove it.

I suspect in bulk the parts only cost dealers a few dollars each and they have the kid who takes the plastic off the interior bits install them.

Now if anything goes wrong with it, I bet they wouldn't cover it as they would say they don't install them that way, so it's now an owner mod.

Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Larson Dodge, etc. adds that to every vehicle they sell - and WILL NOT remove it. And they charge $400 for it - called Brake Plus. You might check with your insurance company to see if they give a discount because of this safety addon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 1595308389422

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
True story. My father in law (real gadgety guy), loves buying extras of something to give me so I have the same Gadgets he has. Things such as “gater grip” one size fits all socket, “Tiger wrench” one wrench for every bolt, “bionic grip” pliers, you get the idea.
Anyway I’m a heavy equipment mechanic so of course none of that shit ever works or even lasts as claimed so it all pretty much ends up in the trash after a single use.
Im totally opposite of him and kinda hate gimmicky stuff.
So one time he actually gave me three of those 3rd brake light kits and explained to me what they were and that he installed them on his and his wife’s cars and said I need to install them in all of mine.. so I’m of course dreading the idea of installing something like that in any of my vehicles so I threw them in my tool box in the garage for about a year until it was forgotten and one day I just threw them all in the trash.
I wish I still had them because I would totally prefer giving them to you guys rather then trash them!

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..

Kinda same as how my deal worked out.

Funny how the dealers install so much stuff that they forget to document it half the time.
My Jeep has the dealer ad supplemental laminated in with my factory window sticker.
It lists the Mopar Hand grips, the wheel locks the tint, the nitrogen tires, the rear cargo Mopar tub liner, the theft insurance but it doesn’t mention the Mopar steps at all and they were on ALL the Jeeps there including mine! It’s funny because the steps are probably the most expensive add on and they forgot about it. Doesn’t matter, I didn’t pay extra for any of it and I think I did ok on the price.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Knowing how dealerships work, I would bet they add it to all vehicles sold and try to add it to the cost, but if you say you won't pay they just leave it installed as it would cost them extra in labor to remove it.

I suspect in bulk the parts only cost dealers a few dollars each and they have the kid who takes the plastic off the interior bits install them.

Now if anything goes wrong with it, I bet they wouldn't cover it as they would say they don't install them that way, so it's now an owner mod.
And that’s why I’d be back at the dealership demanding they replace the harness with an unmolested factory harness at their expense.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@BCalvin

To help other's (especially me - 8-) ) Could you take some decent pics that show clearly and exactly where on the JL to tap in the 3 wires from the Brake Light Strobe. Another words provide here, enough info and pics that would guide/facilitate, myself or someone else to easily hook the strobe up without guessing lets say which JL wires to attach to.

Also, do you see any signs of a diode in the mix?

Link you provided, says no 2018 and up for that device. Can you provide dealership name that you think
may have installed that device/had the device installed. I will talk to them about the device. Will not mention you...

Appreciate your help on this. IF you don't have time to do, I understand...
Holy crap is it really you?

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I didn’t even let my dealer install a front license plate bracket on my 2018 with steel bumper... yeah, the shenanigans pulled by OP’s dealer would have me quite upset. Those surveys they send out are very important to them. Be sure to give honest feedback!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@BCalvin
@agarber5687

What gauge wire do you think the white with green trace and the black are?

OP
OP
BCalvin

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Yeah im not bringing it in for warranty work unless I have a catastrophic engine or transmission failure and getting a replacement. I would rather buy the parts myself to keep their hands off it.

No one will leave a burrito on my back seat.
Sponsored