Sponsored

Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
It could be pulse (https://www.pulseprotects.com/). My brother-in-law sells them (and other products) to dealerships to install in vehicles before they sell them, usually for a modest mark up. He has said some end up installing them but not always charging for them. I have him put them on all our vehicles, easy and cheap upgrade that statistically adds a lot to safety by helping get drivers attention so they don’t rear end you.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could be pulse (https://www.pulseprotects.com/). My brother-in-law sells them (and other products) to dealerships to install in vehicles before they sell them, usually for a modest mark up. He has said some end up installing them but not always charging for them. I have him put them on all our vehicles, easy and cheap upgrade that statistically adds a lot to safety by helping get drivers attention so they don’t rear end you.
I just sent your pictures to him and he confirmed that this is either Pulse or another very similar brand.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just sent your pictures to him and he confirmed that this is either Pulse or another very similar brand.
@agarber5687

Any chance you could ask him if he could check compatibility of the Pulse unit with a 2018-2020 JL/JT. Perhaps he has a Pulse site that he is privy to that say yes or no for 2018 and up JL/JT.

Hmmmm, wonder where a guy could order a Pulse product.

This info will help many here that seek a strobe on their JL.

Thanks!

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I am with you on being hacked off at the dealer for install this crap into a new Jeep.
With 10 miles on it, I assume you ordered it.
I am lucky to have found a dealership that did not install any BS into the JLR that was ordered.

And as time progresses, this dealer installed crap goes fails, stop working etc., and you are left to fix/replace/remove this crap at your expense. Oh, and when I say crap, it is crap. Car manufactures have qualifications for their suppliers for the parts they make. Many of the parts on a car have also have certain government and/or automotive standards that must be met. Those OEM approved parts are then properly integrated into the electrical system with the proper connectors and wiring. Never seen where the dealer installed crap has ever met any OEM requirements.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
@agarber5687

Any chance you could ask him if he could check compatibility of the Pulse unit with a 2018-2020 JL/JT. Perhaps he has a Pulse site that he is privy to that say yes or no for 2018 and up JL/JT.

Thanks!
I'm not really answering any question, but brake light flashers are common in the motorcycle world. Probably won't find a motorcycle brake light flasher listed as compatible with a JL though.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@agarber5687

Thanks!
I am not sure what you mean by compatibility but I have Pulse on my 2020 JLU.

I popped off my tailgate trim piece and took this picture of the Pulse he installed for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 93BC67ED-244E-49F0-82F7-5B96F1377943

Unfortunely it is only sold through dealerships.

Below is a good FAQ on their website.

https://www.pulseprotects.com/faq/

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am with you on being hacked off at the dealer for install this crap into a new Jeep.
With 10 miles on it, I assume you ordered it.
I am lucky to have found a dealership that did not install any BS into the JLR that was ordered.

And as time progresses, this dealer installed crap goes fails, stop working etc., and you are left to fix/replace/remove this crap at your expense. Oh, and when I say crap, it is crap. Car manufactures have qualifications for their suppliers for the parts they make. Many of the parts on a car have also have certain government and/or automotive standards that must be met. Those OEM approved parts are then properly integrated into the electrical system with the proper connectors and wiring. Never seen where the dealer installed crap has ever met any OEM requirements.

100% agree. I have no problem with them selling these products but just installing them and either not saying anything or worse, charging for them and refusing to remove it if the buyer doesn’t want it, is ridiculous.

I personally like this product because of the safety study data showing how much it can help and especially after losing a neighbor to a bad rear end collision (He was on a scooter entering our neighborhood but it still has me shook up).

One good to know at least with this product is that if it ever fails (which of course they claim is super unlikely), then the light still works fine, it just no longer pulses 3 times when you break.

Edit: He also just told me that Pulse is OEM approved and many manufacturers are currently requesting to make them standard equipment installed at the factory.

DieselDork

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
This really chaps me. When we bought our jeep back in April, I remember seeing all these stickers on the back of the Jeep's. I think it said "blink" or something like that. I asked the sales guy (who was a complete jerk; but that's another story...) about it. He handed me a booklet thing with a video in it. It was an advert for the technology. I think that they wanted like $800 for it or something. I politely asked that they not add that to our buyers order. They didn't... but apparently it was already installed. I've never been behind the Jeep, so I never noticed, but just went to the garage and checked.... SURE ENOUGH... the high mount brake light blinks... I really don't want to pull a panel, but I am curious what kind of hack job has occurred in there. Man, that really burns me up.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This really chaps me. When we bought our jeep back in April, I remember seeing all these stickers on the back of the Jeep's. I think it said "blink" or something like that. I asked the sales guy (who was a complete jerk; but that's another story...) about it. He handed me a booklet thing with a video in it. It was an advert for the technology. I think that they wanted like $800 for it or something. I politely asked that they not add that to our buyers order. They didn't... but apparently it was already installed. I've never been behind the Jeep, so I never noticed, but just went to the garage and checked.... SURE ENOUGH... the high mount brake light blinks... I really don't want to pull a panel, but I am curious what kind of hack job has occurred in there. Man, that really burns me up.
1. Not defending garbage customer service like that and
2. Not trying to “sell” this product, just sharing information I happen to have but,

Having installed 2 myself (Pacifica and my Jeep), it is stupid fast and easy to install and equally fast and easy to remove it, especially on the Jeep.

Sponsored

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This help? The first picture of what I am holding is the actual product added to the circuit.
@agarber5687

Any chance you or anyone else has a real clear pic showing attachment points. Your pic is very good but can't see/tell where it exactly connected... Yeah, I'm a pain in the arse...
Hope this helps. The first picture is me holding the actual product added to the circuit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 8A29484B-8DAA-4A72-89BA-B1BF2FDBA0A1
Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 8073EEAB-4682-4CCA-A6EB-49BBA4CE2AD3

Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 88CF6377-A68B-454B-8BC2-F6551F71D79B

Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 3CFCD29C-8D25-4455-9AB2-18302D989842

Jeep Wrangler JL Help ID another strange aftermarket modification in my new 2020 Jeep. 39E59A03-D4C4-4670-B9C8-6722AD8F86D2

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No markup or dealer added charge that I was aware of. I didn't know they did this. I noticed the
3rd brake light flash sequence that turned to solid when testing the relocation kit and thought it was a JL thing.

When i first found it today I thought it was another tracking device lol.

I like having it, I will clean the wiring up tomorrow.

It has no part number or manufacturer sticker. It's just a small circuit board cover in shrink wrap.
No way to ID it at all.
FAQ says dealers add the cost to monthly financing payment, around $60 per year. Pretty expensive if they did put it on your financing and pretty dishonest if not disclosed.

DieselDork

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
1. Not defending garbage customer service like that and
2. Not trying to “sell” this product, just sharing information I happen to have but,

Having installed 2 myself (Pacifica and my Jeep), it is stupid fast and easy to install and equally fast and easy to remove it, especially on the Jeep.
Didn't mean to come across the wrong way; my apologies. I was just shocked at the arrogance of the dealer for cutting wires. My preference would be to have been made aware that modifications had been made, giving me the choice to move forward with the purchase or seek another unit from a different dealer.

I don't really want to pull the panel, but I feel like i need to inspect the install to determine if it's something that's going to give me trouble. I'm probably borrowing trouble by worrying about it, but the thing was expensive and I'm proud of it. I'd like to be intentional about changes to it. I was led to believe by the dealer that it was an option that they would add, if I chose to purchase it. My assumption was then that it was a plug in module. Probably in-line, rather than a splice in module.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This help? The first picture of what I am holding is the actual product added to the circuit.

Hope this helps. The first picture is me holding the actual product added to the circuit.
@agarber5687 and @BCalvin

Terrific info and pics.... but I'm still not seeing wire colors or exactly where to cut in.

IF the panel is still off can you look and post here say, Red pulse wire attaches to white wire with green trace, etc.. Another words take pics out of this and just explain, this color Pulse wire attaches to this color wire on the harness..

Thanks again!

p.s. I sent an email to Pulse asking where locally to get.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't mean to come across the wrong way; my apologies. I was just shocked at the arrogance of the dealer for cutting wires. My preference would be to have been made aware that modifications had been made, giving me the choice to move forward with the purchase or seek another unit from a different dealer.

I don't really want to pull the panel, but I feel like i need to inspect the install to determine if it's something that's going to give me trouble. I'm probably borrowing trouble by worrying about it, but the thing was expensive and I'm proud of it. I'd like to be intentional about changes to it. I was led to believe by the dealer that it was an option that they would add, if I chose to purchase it. My assumption was then that it was a plug in module. Probably in-line, rather than a splice in module.
No, I took no offense. I just didn’t want to come across as defending those dealership practices or selling this product. Just sharing.

That back trim panel is very easy to pop off to take a look.
Sponsored