Sponsored

Help! I am thinking of selling my customized 2021 JLU so I can buy the 392. Where do I sell it for profit?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Yeah, I'm seriously thinking of keeping it. Hell, I really don't want to lose my Snazzy! It is my baby....but again, DAMN! to have a 392 Rubicon!!!
I am slowly building up my 2019 JLUR with 6MT and I plan to convert it to electric, while keeping the 6MT just like the Magneto Jeep showed at EJS. That combo will trump the 392 in most off-road obstacles.

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
If I had 30 grand to spend on a 8V conversion I’m not sure how worried I’d be about spending $700 on a water pump that failed prematurely because I voided the warranty.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If I had 30 grand to spend on a 8V conversion I’m not sure how worried I’d be about spending $700 on a water pump that failed prematurely because I voided the warranty.
Those factory V8 crates come with it's own warranty. Plus many of those conversion companies offer their own warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Good idea. Put the money away that you would be spending on this trade. You would loose 25k and spend about 10k over sticker for the privilege of buying the 392, which would be about 25k more than you paid for yours. Grand total, 60k.

60k over 5 years at 3% interest is $1,078.12 a month. Put that much aside every month and you will have money for a 6.4, Tremec, Atlas II, Dana front/rear 60 swap with all the little extras. Or you could by a brand new loaded Rubicon.

What you're thinking about doing now is losing 25k (at least) on a trade, then buying a 392 over sticker at, what 85k after the smoke clears. 85k plus 25k is 110k.

110k for 5 years at 3% interest is 1,976.56. Are you sure you want to do this? Maybe you are in a different financial position than 99+% of us here.
Since I paid cash and I know what the vehicle payment would have been had I taken out a loan I'm paying myself that loan amount every month so when I am ready for my next vehicle the money will be sitting there ready for me to pay cash again.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
What will the dealership give you in trade if you return it to stock form? (If that number works, move whatever mod you can to the 392 and sell the rest on Marketplace or Facebook). Carvana offered me a better price for my Tacoma, so that's another option. I'm not sure about PA, but Maryland will charge sales tax on the full price of the new vehicle unless the old vehicle is sold as part of the same transaction (I wonder who lobbied for that rule???) and on a high value trade, that's significant

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Right, but I bought a fully loaded Rubicon minus dual-tops for $49k. Original sticker, $56k. Surely you didn't pay MSRP? Did you roll negative equity into it?

Fully loaded, everything but the smokers package

RusM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Since I paid cash and I know what the vehicle payment would have been had I taken out a loan I'm paying myself that loan amount every month so when I am ready for my next vehicle the money will be sitting there ready for me to pay cash again.
This is smart, I was wondering if they called you "Irish" because you get all drunked up and make poor financial decisions. :beer::movember::beer:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hate to break it to you but you will never get a dealer to pay what you want, yes it is true that Wranglers are pulling top dollar right now, BUT that is for stock or bare minimum customization. While your Jeeps is absolutely gorgeous (I have a snazzberry myself) your upgrades are nothing more than a mere "labor of love" in regards to trade in etc. The vehicle is still only worth what its worth and auction/book value goes by stock. What you have added on someone else may not like. The offer the dealer gave you isn't way off base because at the end of the day regardless of what you changed on your ride, it is still a sport trim and the VIN reflects that. This would be a harder sell for a dealer because it would require that "special buyer", but even then - they will not sell it for what you are thinking. Sadly the auto industry just doesn't work that way. I know this because I have been in it for over 15 years in accounting - I know the numbers and I know the ins & outs of the deals and all departments. Your best bet is to keep your Jeep or try and sell privately, but even that's a stretch to even come in the ballpark of what you want for it. Again, not dissing your Jeep - its beautiful, but what you want for it is no where realistic. The majority of people will not pay extra for the changes you made. Another point i will make is if a dealer were to sell this odds are the average buy will be financing (not always - but most do) and a bank is not going to finance a used vehicle over what its worth. Therefore that now cuts the already slim buyers market down even further for a dealer. Just another thing a lot of people don't always realize.

That's why we call things like this a "Labor of Love". at the dealer I work for we encourage people to put the vehicle back stock as much as they can before they trade it in & keep their aftermarket parts or sell them privately. Not saying it is impossible because I fully believe there is a buyer out there for everything (didn't say they were smart buyers lol), but in your case - that's going to be an extremely hard find if at all without you losing money.

The same logic applies to motorcycles. My husband I know we will never get the extra $$ we put into doing customizations to his Harley, but we did them because we plan to keep it for a long time & if we decide to sell at some point, 95% of what we have done can be returned to stock as we kept all the stock pieces.

I wish you luck, yes the 392 is amazing. But I would keep what you have as it is beautiful unless you are prepared to potentially lose a good amount of money.
Thank you, extremely GOOD points!

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you get the Bronze JEEP badges in front of front doors? looks nice!
the guys who customized my baby got them for me. they bronzed everything on the exterior to match the wheels! The are amazing!!!! Innovative Autoworks in Pittsburgh Pa!

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have enough cash on hand to lose $30k+ on a trade in and feel ok with it, you should. It's your money.

If you do, you'll end up with a $75k priced Jeep, that isn't modded in any way, has the transmission you don't want, and it's cost to you is over $100k. So right away you'll be $25k+ underwater on depreciable asset.

Oh, also, it will be ripe for theft because you are parking it on the street, and it's a rare vehicle. When it is stolen, you'll be riding the bus because all your money vaporized on that trade in.

It's really an incredibly easy decision to make.
the fact that it could be and quite possibly be stolen is a major thing holding me back
Sponsored