Sponsored

Help! I am thinking of selling my customized 2021 JLU so I can buy the 392. Where do I sell it for profit?

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Good point...I've got an AEV dualsport. All in was $2k. Installed. Tires are $1000-2000. Maybe he's in 4-6 for the lift and tires. Idk. I almost don't care.
I am budgeting about 7-8K for lift, tires and re-gear. I am leaning towards keeping the stock wheels as I really like them. I assume I will never get this money back, but that doesn't concern me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
It’s not my business what the OP does with his money, but if I were you @Irish Creig I would hold on to your current jeep for a while, save money, and later drop a V8 into it with a Tremec manual transmission. If such a conversion kit doesn’t exist now maybe years from now it will. It’s a win-win... you get to keep your baby that you’ve put so much thought, money, and effort into, you get a V8, you get a manual transmission, and ultimately you save money by not losing the money you’ve already invested in mods. Wait till a few years after the powertrain warranty expires just to give yourself more time to save. Maybe buy a 10 year old Prius or Corolla to commute with once you drop in that thirsty V8 and for when it’s in the shop getting built.
I'm leaning towards doing that since I do love my baby so much. Looking back though I do wish that I would've spent the extra money on getting the Rubicon but it is what it is. I'll wait till it's out of warranty before I'd drop a V8 into it though

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Have we addressed paying $49k for a Sport S yet?
It is possible to order a JLU Sport S if you load it up with options. Rubicon can exceed $60k full optioned too. The typical JLU Sport S lot car in my area is $45k.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm leaning towards doing that since I do love my baby so much. Looking back though I do wish that I would've spent the extra money on getting the Rubicon but it is what it is. I'll wait till it's out of warranty before I'd drop a V8 into it though
What's your rationale for waiting?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Good idea. Put the money away that you would be spending on this trade. You would loose 25k and spend about 10k over sticker for the privilege of buying the 392, which would be about 25k more than you paid for yours. Grand total, 60k.

60k over 5 years at 3% interest is $1,078.12 a month. Put that much aside every month and you will have money for a 6.4, Tremec, Atlas II, Dana front/rear 60 swap with all the little extras. Or you could by a brand new loaded Rubicon.

What you're thinking about doing now is losing 25k (at least) on a trade, then buying a 392 over sticker at, what 85k after the smoke clears. 85k plus 25k is 110k.

110k for 5 years at 3% interest is 1,976.56. Are you sure you want to do this? Maybe you are in a different financial position than 99+% of us here.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What's your rationale for waiting?
No sense in waiting. There is little value or sense in waiting out a warranty in order to do heavy modifications. If he were waiting until it was paid for I could understand that, from a cash flow perspective.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yeah nobody is giving you 70k for your sport. If you would have replaced axles and suspension and put a nice RTT on it and all that crap, with all the hype in "overlanding" somebody could have paid for it.. but still.... you don't make profit on a Jeep, and mods don't add up. When selling the Jeep people look at the sticker and go from there.

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No sense in waiting. There is little value or sense in waiting out a warranty in order to do heavy modifications. If he were waiting until it was paid for I could understand that, from a cash flow perspective.
Waiting for the warrantee to expire. Paid cash for my baby so no monthly payments

Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buy a snazberry 392 and transfer every single custom part off your sport onto it (that you can). even the interior if you prefer your custom interior you had made. then sell your sport with nice rubi parts for a decent amount via private party. if you can handle owning both vehicles at the same time, even if for a short while. OR, put your sport back to stock as much as possible and sell it like that. hang on to the custom goodies for the new ride and/or sell off what you can on the used market.
Hmmmm...got me thinking

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$49K on a Sport S. Yowzers. I paid $46K for my JLUR pretty well loaded.

Mods don't add value, in fact, they may decrease it as they become more unique to owner's taste vs. something the general buyers will like.

If unable to keep current Jeep, i'd probably try to return it to as close to stock as possible to get the best selling price, then try to sell mods privately or put on new Jeep.
Fully loaded, every option except smokers package. Dual roofs. Please cash. Loved driving off the lot OWNING it!!!

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem with customizing your Jeep to the level you did is that you end up with a very limited buyer market demographic that would also like your customization style, colors, etc.

The thing with Wranglers is that customizing is huge, no Jeep look alike, this means most Jeep Wrangler buyers want to start with a clean canvas.

Keep it until some 392 demos or one owner used versions hit the market.
You bring up an excellent point!!! Look at those who built a custom house exactly just for their tastes and likes. And they can't sell it for what they put into it. Thank you. Very enlightening!