Sponsored

Help! I am thinking of selling my customized 2021 JLU so I can buy the 392. Where do I sell it for profit?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
For those with or thinking about getting a 392. Any future collector value will be for an unmodified, low miles, not used off road Jeep. Mods, miles and trail use will keep it out of the collector market.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I have given serious consideration to dropping a hemi into my baby......but that will have to be a ways off after the warrantee expires. Otherwise, I void my warranty on a new vehicle
I debated it on and off. I think it would really be cool and something any enthusiast would dream about owning when they where a teenager. I also paid less then $40k for my 2 door Rubicon with manual and all in would be a little less then a 392 for something way more unique... But I am afraid it would open up a can of worms of wanting to upgrade everything else, such as axles and then a killer radio setup because I can no longer hear it over the glorious V8. I also feel it would make the one major complaint I have with my Jeep even worse, the range due to the small tank.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No one is going to give anything for your customization. Well, no one in his/her right mind, that is.

It has nothing to do with your specific mods; it’s just how things roll in the used market.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
DAMN! that V8 Hemi is pulling me! I've had so much fun building this out and hate to sell, but.....again......DAMN!!!!! that HEMI!!!
Don’t do it.
Agreed, I do love my baby that I've built........................BUT DAMN!!!!! THAT 392!!!!!!
Stop it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! I am thinking of selling my customized 2021 JLU so I can buy the 392. Where do I sell it for profit? 1621376195138

The dealer thinks you’re a sucker and is telling you what he knows you want to hear so that he can make a sale and the dealership can get paid twice.

If you really want a 392, keep your existing Wrangler and get the 392. As others have mentioned, you will get nothing back from any mods that you’ve done.

If you can’t keep both and you’re still serious about the 392, pay someone to take your mods off, set them aside, return your Jeep back to stock and then go to your dealer and play ball.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You're only hope for getting some of your money on the mods is to take them off and sell them, then sell your current jeep in stock form.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
We all would like to think our Jeep is worth every penny we put into it and it is "to us".

I have a 392 on order and I refused to pay more than MSRP ( It's a principal thing with me). I drove to my local dealer that had a allocation after calling and e-mailing them at the time and it was a MSRP deal. When I got there magically it was MSRP plus 10K. I walked away and let someone else have it.

The sales manager tried to convince me that they were worth 120 to 130K and I could take it to auction and make money he says. Um no, they are worth MSRP on a good day. If they build them for a couple of years they will sell under MSRP no doubt in my mind.

There are those that paid more than MSRP for the 392 and I'm sure its worth every penny to them but just because they have more into it wont make it worth more than mine in a year. Just like with your jeep I'm afraid. Just because you have additional 25K in it does not make it worth 25K more. Same thing with Harleys, Boats, RV's and pretty much all tings of that nature. If you do it do it for the love of the vehicle and its what you want, not for any return on investment at the end of the day.

If you have to have a 392 now I say take the hit make the jump. If not you have a nice Jeep and maybe wait let it play out for a year and see what happens. Prices may drop but they also may not.

Keep in mind there are probably a few with deposits that will fall through when it comes time to pay the balance of the bill so they will end up on lots for sale.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
you're never gunna get that money back, im not sure how much youre ok with losing, but i wouldnt believe the salesmen telling you that they cant get another 392 in for you. They might be rare but theyre mass produced and they arent ceasing production anytime soon to my knowledge.

if it were me, id keep your jeep. you obviously put a lot of work and money into it and in my opinion thats a lot cooler than buying a 392. Sounds like you did a nice job and it looks awesome. Yours is yours, plus i agree with you on the manual....id rather have a manual v6 than an automatic v8 (bUt ThE zF iS sO gReAt) i loved the zf in my ram's but theres no comparison to driving a manual if its something you truly enjoy. id argue that the manual's will be rarer than FCA/stella putting huge V8's in vehicles in the future!
I am really torn on this. Yes, I want the V8, but......LOVE the manual and a bit concerned about #1, my insurance rate will most likely go up, #2 cost of gas (which should not be an issue since my gas mileage sucks now since I raised it and put on35's) and #3 chances of the 392 being stolen since I live in the city with street parking and it will be an automatic so.........could be stolen vs the fact that manuals may not be since many do not know how to drive one. #4 DAMN! I LOVE MY BABY!!!!

As for availability concerns, the salesmen who sold me my baby owns a Rubicon, he thought about and wanted to buy the 392 but when he went into the dealership was told that they just can't order them anymore and production will be shut down. He did not need to tell me that. He could have said........"sure! I'll order you one and make an awesome commission on it!" I went to another dealership who said that they have 5 coming in and it is most likely the last of them. Both salesmen stated that government regulations are shutting down the production of a gas hog such as the 392. Now, I want one not just because it is a V8 Hemi, but even more so since it could very well become quite a collectors item if production is indeed shut down! ( not that I would ever EVER consider selling the 392 Rubicon, it would be with me till my dying breath!

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
People selling their jeeps for a premium are able to so because they are in stock or near stock form. Especially if they got their jeeps at the start of covid when auto prices were down. Buy when they couldn't move the cars, sell it back when they can't keep up with production due to parts shortages.

But that work you did was for you. No one else would have picked those same combos. And unless you run a custom shop with some street cred for designs, the only person that's willing to pay the same premium for that jeep is you.

Maybe if you go through a private sale you can find someone who loves it just as much as you, and they aren't willing to put in the work themselves. But I would think they'd still want it for less than you paid.

Honestly, try Turo. With a unique jeep you might get enough of a steady income stream to get the 392 and keep your masterpiece.
Seriously looking at ways to increase my income stream........THAT IS FOR SURE!