HELP...How to attach trickle charger during Jeep storage

joliett

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
How to attach a trickle charger during a four-month storage for my Jeep 2021 (with smaller starter battery.) I've seen wiring diagrams, and difficult to understand explanations.
Can someone explain how I do this without taking my fender off to get at the smaller battery?
Appreciate it! Thanks.
Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Well, on a dual battery set up like Genesis makes, you put the positive on the positive of the cranking battery and the negative on the negative of the auxiliary battery.

I don't know if that helps.

If your wiring diagram shows you need to attach it to the golf cart battery, you can also get at it by removing the main battery, the tray, the the fuse box, and it's right there underneath...

Fender isn't so bad now is it? :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@joliett

Just attach a battery maintainer/tender's clamps to the Main battery Neg and Positive terminals.
Do this and both the Main and Aux battery will be charged/maintained. They are hooked up in parallel.

Do not use a battery charger... as mentioned use a battery maintainer/tender. I suggest you use either a decent 5 amp or 10 amp maintainer/tender. Be sure the maintainer/tender is aok to use with AGM batteries. Both of your JL's batteries are AGM's.

No worry about leaving it on the maintainer/tender for months on end.

OP
OP
joliett

joliett

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
From Rhinebeck01 (Hey, I live in New Paltz):

Hooking up a battery maintainer / tender to the Pos and Neg terminals of the Main (AGM) battery alone will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery at the same time.

You will want to use a small amp output maintainer/tender since the little AGM, Auxiliary battery is only 200CCA and could possibly be damaged if you were to use a high amp output maintainer/tender.

So, with that said it is probably best to stick with say a 1.25 amp maintainer/tender and for sure no more then a 5 amp tender that is designed to work with AGM batteries when you are maintaining/tending to both the batteries at the same time.

Also.... in regard to doing both batteries at the same time ....do not hook up/use a full blown battery charger rather then a low amp output battery maintainer/tender..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
From Rhinebeck01 (Hey, I live in New Paltz):

Hooking up a battery maintainer / tender to the Pos and Neg terminals of the Main (AGM) battery alone will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery at the same time.

You will want to use a small amp output maintainer/tender since the little AGM, Auxiliary battery is only 200CCA and could possibly be damaged if you were to use a high amp output maintainer/tender.

So, with that said it is probably best to stick with say a 1.25 amp maintainer/tender and for sure no more then a 5 amp tender that is designed to work with AGM batteries when you are maintaining/tending to both the batteries at the same time.

Also.... in regard to doing both batteries at the same time ....do not hook up/use a full blown battery charger rather then a low amp output battery maintainer/tender..
@joliett

A lot of old guys have old old tech, tender maintainer's, so I used to always say stick with a 1.25 amp one or risk damage to the 200CCA AUX battery.

IF you are maintaining / tending to both the Main and Aux simultaneously like you say you want to do...... I would use a 5 or 10 amp, quality, modern tender maintainer.. that has a setting for AGM battery use. I would go with a 5 or 10 as the smaller amp output units just don't seem to deal with ... to maintain the larger Main battery properly.

For the last year or 2, I have been using a 10 amp Noco maintainer/tender when dealing with just the Aux or when dealing with both the Aux and Main at the same time. No damage to my Aux and my H7 is tended/maintainer as needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Any size amp will work just fine for long term storage. I have a 3 amp Noco, for my weekly driven jeep, 2018 with original batteries Still. Given it will sit that long on a maintainer, anything will work, the Noco came with red and black cables with eyelets, just bolt those to the pos and neg, which plug into the main unit, it’s so easy.

OP
OP
joliett

joliett

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I use Schumaker chargers, and I use the 3-amp setting for trickle charging. I have a place in Isla Mujeres, Mexico for winters. We should meet for Sushi in town one night. :)

Last edited:

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I use Schumaker chargers, and I use the 3-amp setting for trickle charging. I have a place in Isla Mujeres, Mexico for winters. We should meet for Sushi in town one night. :)
I’ve been through Isla Mujeres, on a boat looking for whale sharks. And had lunch there at that amazing beach. Great day with whale sharks, and beaching, I’ve done a walk/run on iFIT on Isla Mujeres too, was a beautiful walk on a stony path along ocean. Congrats on having a place there, envious!
Sponsored