Sponsored

Help. Harness? Brake Controller? Tow Package? The dealer said...

jdames

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr
So this is interesting. I took my 2019 Jeep Wrangler, 2 dr. to the dealer yesterday for an appointment to get the brake controller hard wired into it to two my 1250 lbs dry weight trailer. A few things happened and I am wondering if anyone else had an issue or knows anything about this.
1. I overheard the manager say he was concerned about it because they had never installed it before on a JL.
2. They ordered the wrong part and had to go pick up the right one.
3. The right one came back but they didn't install it. They said there is no harness in the vehicle to wire it into and they would have to order the harness (June sometime) and then install that before they could install the controller.
4. He told me the harness for the JL has not even been released yet!? What? I find that hard to believe.
Basically the $400 estimate was now over $1000 and a two month wait period. They would need to get the harness, put that in the jeep, then wire in the controller.
I told him that, when I bought this jeep new I asked that it have everything I needed to tow. I have the four pin and the 7 pin.
This is not the first time I have had serious discrepancies from dealer to dealer and even from calling Jeep themselves. While I don't expect them to know EVERYTHING I do expect due diligence. I realize I can get a bluetooth controller, but I wanted the hard wired for my own peace of mind.
Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Take a look at the Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. No need for a wiring harness. And you can move it from your Jeep to another vehicle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help. Harness? Brake Controller? Tow Package? The dealer said... Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller

Davaug79@

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Thanks so much for this advice. My jeep would have to be hard wired and I cant find the instructions anywhere. A guy was selling his for 100 bucks and I jumped on it. I cant wait to get my camper in the wind.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
do you go to the dealer to install a stereo? no, you go to a stereo shop.

instead of expecting the dealer to install aftermarket parts (they're not trained for that), try a shop like Camping World. there's 4 in PA.

Parker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLURD
Occupation
40 year telecom tech, now Happily Retired!
I just finished installing the Mopar hitch and wiring harness. The hitch install is pretty simple. The harness was a bit of work. The instructions were drawn up by sombody that never did the install.

Anyway, the brake sense wire , or brake light trigger, is indeed in the passenger side footwell. As JeepinPete says, it's behind the side kick panel. I took my panel off and was looking everywhere for a green/yellow stripe wire. Opened up the harness and poked all around and went nuts looking for it. But, lo and behold, after bending my spine into a pretzel and standing on my head, I looked way up in there and spotted a small wire coil taped up to the harness. Got that wire undone and uncoiled and shazam!!! it' the green/ yellow stripe wire you need!!!

I have confirmed it is the correct wire as I have installed a Tekonsha 90195 P3 controller and it works perfectly!

Almost forgot, I used this harness with the Tekonsha controller https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H84C82J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
This harness has a diode in the brake sense/brake light wire. I have not tested that a diode is absolutely required, but including a diode makes sense to me to avoid any weird feedback.
Sponsored