First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have a 2-door JL. I was working in the back of the Jeep and now that I have put the rear seat back down I can no longer store it behind the front seats. In other words, the seat back will fold flat, but it will no longer tumble forward. I can only assume that something is obstructing the release mechanism that unlocks the seat from the rear anchor points.

Any ideas on how to release it would be appreciated?

Thanks
Sponsored

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
I have a 2-door JL. I was working in the back of the Jeep and now that I have put the rear seat back down I can no longer store it behind the front seats. In other words, the seat back will fold flat, but it will no longer tumble forward. I can only assume that something is obstructing the release mechanism that unlocks the seat from the rear anchor points.

Any ideas on how to release it would be appreciated?

Thanks
Undo the fabric on the back of the seat near the right hinge. You will see a small diameter steel cable. Pull on that and it should release so the seat will fold up. I had the same issue. New parts were ordered to fix my seat.

OP
OP
MandKM

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Hound Dog Lew
Thanks for the reply. I found the cables, one on each side, but pulling didn’t help. In fact, both fell out of their retainer and are now loose.

It is hard to see the mechanism, but I assume they are pulling a spring loaded latch. So if I can hook it, I should be able to free it. Does that sound right?

Mark

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
@Hound Dog Lew
Thanks for the reply. I found the cables, one on each side, but pulling didn’t help. In fact, both fell out of their retainer and are now loose.

It is hard to see the mechanism, but I assume they are pulling a spring loaded latch. So if I can hook it, I should be able to free it. Does that sound right?

Mark
I believe you are correct.

OP
OP
MandKM

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It turns out that the latching mechanism caught the coax wire for my CB antenna which I hadn’t tucked away:headbang:! Unfortunately, I still can’t get it unstuck. I even took it to the dealer, but even they couldn’t help.

Does anyone have an exploded view of the latching mechanism? I can only see a small portion from the back. I’m wandering if it is a double linkage that cannot overcome the resistance in the latch.

Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
MandKM

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Finally got it. I was able to cut the coax cable next to the latch with a wood chisel, then get the latch to release when bouncing the seat up and down.

The moral of the story: make sure everything is clear before dropping the seat and DON’T FORCE IT! Live and learn.:whew:

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I dropped a washer in my Jk once that wouldn’t let me push the driver seat back. It took me about 2 hours to get that MF out of there. I feel your pain!
Sponsored