Sponsored

HELP finding smoke tail lights that work with factory LED lamps. (Most say they require modifications?)

ragmanjobber

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A LOT
I am looking to find a pair of smoked tails for my new 392 Rubicon unlimited. It currently has the factory LED equip tails and all options I see for the aftermarket tails seem to mention that their units will not work with factory LED units without modifications but they fail to mention what modification is needed. I also have the BSW system on these but most replacements seems to mention accommodating that by simply swapping over some parts from the old lamp to the new ones which is easy. However, without knowing what modifications are needed to make the lights work I am reluctant to order them. Alternatively, if anyone is aware of a set that IS made for replacing a set of factory LED ones and are simply PLUG AND PLAY, I would appreciate someone showing me a set that does work without mods.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just buy some VHT Nightshade. Re-apply as required.

The "modification" is turning off the warning lamp indicator with a Taser or JScan though.

OP
OP
ragmanjobber

ragmanjobber

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A LOT
VHT is 90's garbage. I do not have the taser and have been on the fence about one until I understand more of what it does and whether that interests me. The ability to do a light show was one I read but that isnt desirable to me honestly. I may just get the rugged ridge covers and leave the factory ones alone. Pulling the harness apart like I saw on Oracles website just now is sketchy with as fine as those wires and taps are. I can see bending and snapping one as they are pulled in and out of the plug. That would be just my luck.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
VHT is 90's garbage. I do not have the taser and have been on the fence about one until I understand more of what it does and whether that interests me. The ability to do a light show was one I read but that isnt desirable to me honestly. I may just get the rugged ridge covers and leave the factory ones alone. Pulling the harness apart like I saw on Oracles website just now is sketchy with as fine as those wires and taps are. I can see bending and snapping one as they are pulled in and out of the plug. That would be just my luck.
Lol, you asked for solutions that don't involve modding ;). There isn't a "no mod" solution for full LED replacement on an OEM LED Jeep AFAIK.

Personally, I'm not a fan of much Rugged Ridge stuff but to each his own.

I have the Oracle flush mounts. They work very well. The physical modification is super simple. The BSM isn't exactly as good as stock but I grew up not even having anything so it's not a big deal. I tilted mine downwards a couple mm and it helped a lot.

I'm a JScan guy and it took longer to hook up my SGW cable than it did to turn off the fast blinking.

Last edited:

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
ORACLE LIGHTING - Black Series LED Jeep Wrangler JL Tail Lights

Sponsored

OP
OP
ragmanjobber

ragmanjobber

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A LOT
Why did you need to hook up the scan to it? Was yours not LED equip originally? That video link mentioned a resistor which I wouldnā€™t need but nothing about a scan.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Just tint your tails. Any shop thatā€™s halfway decent can do it. Cost less and would look better. Donā€™t see the point in replacing OEM for the same look.

OP
OP
ragmanjobber

ragmanjobber

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A LOT
Jeep Wrangler JL HELP finding smoke tail lights that work with factory LED lamps. (Most say they require modifications?) DCFBFD6E-B0D5-46B9-A9DD-363DAB262E6A

I got these a few days ago and in they went. Install was simple and everything that had to swap over was pretty simple. Work great, look great. Not tinted but it works on this I think.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
DCFBFD6E-B0D5-46B9-A9DD-363DAB262E6A.jpeg

I got these a few days ago and in they went. Install was simple and everything that had to swap over was pretty simple. Work great, look great. Not tinted but it works on this I think.
@ragmanjobber

Nice!

I installed the Oracle Flush Mounts a few months ago. I liked the look of them installed but... but the Oracle logo on them ruins the look.

So, I replaced the crappy looking Oracle logo panel on each tail light.. Took about 15 mins. to change the panels.. very easy to do.

IF you find the Oracle logo panel a bit to much like many other's do consider changing the panels.

You are really going to hear/get lots of positive comments about the terrific look of the back and side of the JL without the oversized factory tail lights.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/šŸŖ›-designer-replacement-panels-for-oracle-flush-mount-tail-lights.89520/post-2012083

Note: For those that have a JL with BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) you may want to pass on this Oracle offering. Unless you can live with poor poor BSM that these installed will leave you with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ragmanjobber

ragmanjobber

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A LOT
Funny. That black oracle plate doesnā€™t bother me at all.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase