First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
With the options for aftermarket front bumpers being nearly overwhelming, I think I've narrowed down what I'm looking for, but I'd also like to hear some other opinions. Here's my criteria.

1. Under $600
2. Stubby
3. Option for winch, but might never add
4. I can take or leave the 'hoop'/winch guard

I like the Rugged Ridge Spartacus stubby, but will I regret not having the option to hang D-rings? This model seems to have the best 'no winch' look.

I like the Rugged Ridge Arcus, but I would need to fab something to cover the winch void and fairlead opening (not a big deal as I'm handy at that kind of stuff).

I've also been looking at the RedRock Stubby as well as their 'Crawler' model.

Yet another that I've been eye-balling is the Fab Four Stubby, but if I ever did want to add a winch, it would be sitting up pretty high.

I know this is a very personal decision, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

IMG_20200113_163150.jpg
Sponsored

Ryparks

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara
With the options for aftermarket front bumpers being nearly overwhelming, I think I've narrowed down what I'm looking for, but I'd also like to hear some other opinions. Here's my criteria.

1. Under $600
2. Stubby

I like the Rugged Ridge Spartacus stubby, but will I regret not having the option to hang D-rings? This model seems to have the best 'no winch' look.

I like the Rugged Ridge Arcus, but I would need to fab something to cover the winch void and fairlead opening (not a big deal as I'm handy at that kind of stuff).

Yet another that I've been eye-balling is the Fab Four Stubby, but if I ever did want to add a winch, it would be sitting up pretty high.

I know this is a very personal decision, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

IMG_20200113_163150.jpg
Following- just wanna hear what you end up doing. I’m in a similar situation- I like the stubby clean look, want tow hooks, winch and d ring opportunity and don’t have interest in buying another skid plate. Prices on all those are right. I want to look beyond the mopar rubi.

Pipes

First Name
HP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU, Jeep SRT

1. Under $600
2. Stubby

IMG_20200113_163150.jpg
Happy with my Rugged Ridge Venator.

IMG_1898.jpeg

IMG_1899.jpeg

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Following- just wanna hear what you end up doing. I’m in a similar situation- I like the stubby clean look, want tow hooks, winch and d ring opportunity and don’t have interest in buying another skid plate. Prices on all those are right. I want to look beyond the mopar rubi.
Ryan...I pulled the trigger yesterday on the Rugged Ridge Arcus front bumper. Its was nearly a toss up for me between that one and the RR Spartacus Stubby. I like the looks of the Arcus better, but I like the 'winch delete' feature of the Spartacus. In other words, the Spartacus offers an option without the winch plate that comes with a top cover and 'plug' for the fairlead opening to finish off the aesthetics of the bumper if you decide to go without a winch. What finally tipped me towards the Arcus is that it already comes with the winch plate (those aren't cheap), and I believe that I'll be able to fabricate some sort of covers for the fairlead and top winch opening. Oh, I suppose that I'll eventually end up installing a winch, but I'm afraid that it will be mostly for looks. I seriously doubt that I would use a winch much, if at all. I enjoy off-roading, but I don't go alone.

@Pipes, I took a look at the RR Venator, but its price turned me away. Its a beautiful bumper, that's for sure. Personally, I'm not a fan of the wings, and rather prefer the stubby look, but that's just me. Also, I'd prefer it to be all black and not the two-tone look. On your silver Jeep the colors are perfect. But on my white Sahara, I'm wanting to stay with a black and white theme (another forum member referred to it as the 'Panda' look..;)).

The bumper should arrive early next week. I'll post pictures here after I get it installed. I'm retired, and look forward to projects like this, so I might 'milk' it a little..;)

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Rugged Ridge HD Stubby sitting in the garage waiting for the JLURD to arrive. Got it for under 400. Here it is in saw horses patiently waiting.

20200112_142753.jpg

The Lightforce have removable lenses that were blocked by the hooks. So I moved them out. May have to relo depending on the look once this gets mounted.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
81F541F3-97EE-495F-B125-F00300F313D5.jpeg

I noticed you can get the Smittybilt XRC GEN2 bumper now for less than $600. I think that’s a great deal. It’s winch ready so no need for a separate winch mounting plate and it mounts the winch low down in line with the ends of the frame. It also offers more low down protection than most of the others and has brackets for mounting extra lights, should you want them.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/xrc-gen-ii-max-front-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl

FA41679E-7BCF-4A18-BE58-58C9FF2A7ED9.jpeg

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I got the Rugged Ridge HD Stubby sitting in the garage waiting for the JLURD to arrive. Got it for under 400. Here it is in saw horses patiently waiting.

20200112_142753.jpg

The Lightforce have removable lenses that were blocked by the hooks. So I moved them out. May have to relo depending on the look once this gets mounted.
I looked at that bumper too, and almost bought it.

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
81F541F3-97EE-495F-B125-F00300F313D5.jpeg

I noticed you can get the Smittybilt XRC GEN2 bumper now for less than $600. I think that’s a great deal. It’s winch ready so no need for a separate winch mounting plate and it mounts the winch low down in line with the ends of the frame. It also offers more low down protection than most of the others and has brackets for mounting extra lights, should you want them.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/xrc-gen-ii-max-front-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl

FA41679E-7BCF-4A18-BE58-58C9FF2A7ED9.jpeg
That's a great looking set up. I looked at that bumper in person at a local 4WP store. Very beefy. Basically, my only pause on that unit was it's weight. The sales guy at the store told me the package weight is 130#. Add the winch, and there's a significant amount of added weight. Not a big deal depending one one's perspective, but that's what backed me off from the XRC.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
That's a great looking set up. I looked at that bumper in person at a local 4WP store. Very beefy. Basically, my only pause on that unit was it's weight. The sales guy at the store told me the package weight is 130#. Add the winch, and there's a significant amount of added weight. Not a big deal depending one one's perspective, but that's what backed me off from the XRC.
Yes it is a little on the heavy side and I added a heavyish winch (Zeon 10s platinum) but only lost 1/2 inch in height. Same at the back with the XRC rear bumper. They’re both solid products, I’m very happy with them. I’d rather not think about what they cost me in the U.K. lol.

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I finished doing my DIY 'Winch Delete' mod on the Rugged Ridge Arcus front bumper. I wanted to hide the fairlead opening as well as the big void in the top where a winch would go. I might eventually install a winch, but this set-up will work for me for the time being.

The top plate is a piece of 1/8" thick ABS plastic. I didn't want to drill holes through the powder coating (I suppose it wouldn't have been a big deal, but I avoided it nonetheless), so I came up with a way to use the existing over rider holes to fasten the sides, and spring loaded aluminum straps for the front. 1/4" thick material probably would have worked better, but since this is in an area that 'shouldn't' see too much action, I think it will be okay. ..and it's not like I have a fortune invested.

IMG_20200118_153035.jpg

IMG_20200120_162935.jpg

IMG_20200120_162944.jpg

IMG_20200120_163059.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: