Sponsored

Help deciding on 2 door or 4 door Rubicon

V1k1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Wrangler Sport
I got a 2 door, but I have another vehicle to cart the family around if needed. That being said, for around town stuff, my kids love riding in the jeep, even crammed into the backseat. The 4 door is more practical for sure, but it looks too long and low to me without lifting and upgrading to bigger tires. I think my 2 door looks tough bone stock!
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Been watching lots of video's of well set up 4 doors. As expected very impressive but way more belly dragging then even I expected even with 37's.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Long time lurker here, but now ready to get a new JL Rubicon, my only dilemma now is that I cannot decide between a 2 door or 4 door. Currently I have a JK Unlimited and like all the room and being able to throw stuff in the back easily and some times carrying extra people and gear too. I had a 2001 TJ which I loved, but not a lot of cargo room. I won’t be hauling the family all the time (we have a Grand Cherokee for the family vehicle). I just don’t want to regret getting a 2 door instead of a 4 door. Has anyone here bought the 2 door but wished they opted for the 4 door?
One size all is sometimes a must at time in your family's lifespan (I get it), but I hate driving a boat around all the time. I love how my 2 door can zip around on and off road. Going into town yesterday, it was nice to do a u turn on a narrow street, and park in a little stubby oddball parking spot where there were no others.

For hauling people around I would rather get a Subaru outback/Cheroke/Edge, great roof racks hauls a ton, super safe with all options, automatic all wheel drive is perfect for wife hitting bad weather.

For my fun time I want my 2 door, its so nimble and because its "my" fun toy I did not need to load it up with fancy options like leather seats, nipple warmers, and other fluff that can jump the price 25k in a Wrangler. 28k base sport JL to 55k loaded JLU.

And the most important..... When I think Wrangler its a 2 door, when I think Corvette... its a 2 door. Maybe its cause I am old fart..

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
You are spot on. Something to look at with this JL or JLUR is the turning radius. I drive my 13 JLU daily and when I get into (my wife's) JLUR I cannot believe the difference in tight turning.
13 JLU? You, sir, are the ultimate early adopter! :)

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Long time lurker here, but now ready to get a new JL Rubicon, my only dilemma now is that I cannot decide between a 2 door or 4 door. Currently I have a JK Unlimited and like all the room and being able to throw stuff in the back easily and some times carrying extra people and gear too. I had a 2001 TJ which I loved, but not a lot of cargo room. I won’t be hauling the family all the time (we have a Grand Cherokee for the family vehicle). I just don’t want to regret getting a 2 door instead of a 4 door. Has anyone here bought the 2 door but wished they opted for the 4 door?
I owned a '81 CJ7 and now have a Unlimited.....once 4dr, it's hard to beat! IMO

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Great!!! That is a great reason. I love it!

However, crawling into the back seat of a two door can be a bit of a chore.
My 77 year old dad does it.

Get the 4 door! I want my 2 door to be rare, cool, real jeep that turns heads. Have fun with the soccer moms and literally every 5th car you see on the road!
The End.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
The great part about a Wrangler is it is a blank artist canvas. But you do have to make the first decision .Do I want to paint on an 8x10 or a 24x36 canvas.
Plan on buying a second Wrangler of a different size in a number of years. I have had them both. But not all three... I think my next will have to be a Wrangler pick up.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I am sure I will get blasted for this, but it is only my opinion. I have owned a CJ, YJ, TJ two JKs (one a two door and the other a four door) and now a two door Rubicon. Two door Wranglers are much more playful. Four doors take away the “traditional” feel that has been ingrained in every generation. I understand some people need the four door for space, but there are so many other better options. I mean really, if you couldn’t take the doors off or put down the top on a four door, it would be a terrible execution of a SUV. I’m amazed how many people I know who buy the four door and never take the top down or pull the doors.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Your opinion is noted, however its not about just hauling people. Its also about driving cross country to run trails in places like Moab, the Sierra Navada's, Colorado. All of which in my case requires my wife and I to drive a 1000+ miles to get there. Not just a weekend run through the woods or through corn fields. Its also about pulling a trailer, and carrying enough equipment for very long distances.

In the five years I've been driving a four door I have never been on a trail that a two door could do that I couldn't. On the other hand I have been on many trails an "SUV" could not. And I have no desire to drive an "SUV."

If a two door is your thing drive it. But if you feel its the only jeep on the road you are welcome in your opinion and if you are ever close to a trail called "Jody's Revenge" or "U Joint Buster" we can compare notes on how well we both wheeled them.

That's not a blast , just stating a fact. Make some videos Like lite brite and Kevin then show how your 2 door will just kick their SUV 4 door drivings arse. SUV Seriously ?

And being that your the only true jeeper out there, Surprised your not running PR 60s or 80s and an Atlas. your in nothing but a 2 door SUV that the doors and top can be removed. So many better SUV options out there.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My perfect vehicle would have been a long wheelbase 2 door. That’s not offered factory anymore, so I have a 4 door. I wouldn’t knock either choice. People have different wants or needs. They’ll both get a wave from me. :jk: :like:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I want to thank the OP for asking this question as I have the same dilemma. As a newbie (Planning on buying my first Jeep)I love he looks of the 2 door, but see now that the 4 door will be the better option. My DD is an F-150 Crew Cab, and the wife drives a Mustang. The F-150 would be the trade-in, and those 4 doors on the truck are quite handy for everything from hauling stuff to hauling friends. So, the 4 door Jeep it is........:)

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Easy to make arguments in favor of the 4 door all day long! Depending on "needs" and not "wants", these arguments should be carefully considered.
I drive a 2 door Rubi with the back seat setting in storage since day one. My immediate family now consist of my wife and I. We just made a 10 day trip to the Rockies and it was perfect. We don't camp, only hike. It had no trouble getting all of our gear to the condo:). My normal cargo is a staff golf bag and it handles that well :)
Like some others, a Wrangler for me means 2 doors. I love the turning radius, the ability to park it, the performance with the 3.6 coupled with 4:10 gears and the 8 speed automatic. There are some KILLER looking 4 door Wranglers....maybe more so than 2 doors.
I love my 2 door! It looks and feels like what I want my Wrangler to look and feel like! Definitely not the best choice for everyone!

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2 teen boys so the 4 dr might seem the obvious choice. But we have several 4 dr sedans or trucks, and this one was purely for me (after 4 years of buying sensible Japanese cars that I could hand down to both boys as they got their licenses).

I rented both a 2dr and 4 dr and while they both were fun, the 2 door was WAY more fun. So that is what I ordered.

Towing capacity would be my only other consideration. If I needed to tow more than a utility trailer, I’d have to eye the 4 dr. Happily I have a truck for this task.

All Jeeps go to heaven, but the 2 doors start at the front of the line.
Sponsored

Last edited: