Sponsored

Help deciding on 2 door or 4 door Rubicon

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Long time lurker here, but now ready to get a new JL Rubicon, my only dilemma now is that I cannot decide between a 2 door or 4 door. Currently I have a JK Unlimited and like all the room and being able to throw stuff in the back easily and some times carrying extra people and gear too. I had a 2001 TJ which I loved, but not a lot of cargo room. I won’t be hauling the family all the time (we have a Grand Cherokee for the family vehicle). I just don’t want to regret getting a 2 door instead of a 4 door. Has anyone here bought the 2 door but wished they opted for the 4 door?
I've had both 2 door and 4 door. If you've ever seen the videos on YouTube by JK Experience, all the participants drive 4 door Jeeps. Supposedly the reason is better ability off road. I know normal driving the Unlimited is 100 times better then the 2 door. Also, sponsors such as Pro Comp, EVO, Discount Tire, etc. all sponsor 4 door built up Jeeps
Sponsored

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Rubicon
I currently have a 4 door Sahara JK
And I always feel like it’s not a real Jeep ... it’s very onroad. I always look at the other jeeps and wonder: why do they look so much cooler than this one....
So for my JL I went the other way: I want all those things that enable the real deal: off-road, winch, wider stance, bigger wheels, etc.
So it’s 2 door time, rubicon.
And my Sahara has a hard and soft top. And that’s another thing I won’t do again. Don’t need that giant roof clogging up my garage the whole summer.
I went soft top only.

But in the end it’s what you don’t have that you want... or what you used to have....

Enjoy what works for you.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I am a huge 2 door fan. This is my first mini van (4 door) lol. I think the 2 doors are so much better looking. But those of us that have wheeled any step climbs understand the merits of the 4 doors length. Especially on the edge of a cliff. Hands down the 4 door. Also the JLUR turns as good as the JK 2 door so I’m not too worried about trails like Black Bear. God these 4 doors are ugly though. Lol

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
Nice illustration but keep in mind that even in pic#1 the 2dr seems to have a better chance of making it up. 4dr needs a lot more lift or it will get high centered even on the first pic scenario.
True. It's not a perfect drawing. Still, I think 4 doors have better "reach" in some cases. But, yeah, if there's a leveling off after a steep incline (like in my drawing), it will have a breakover problem.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I currently have a 4 door Sahara JK
And I always feel like it’s not a real Jeep ... it’s very onroad. I always look at the other jeeps and wonder: why do they look so much cooler than this one....
So for my JL I went the other way: I want all those things that enable the real deal: off-road, winch, wider stance, bigger wheels, etc.
So it’s 2 door time, rubicon.
And my Sahara has a hard and soft top. And that’s another thing I won’t do again. Don’t need that giant roof clogging up my garage the whole summer.
I went soft top only.

But in the end it’s what you don’t have that you want... or what you used to have....

Enjoy what works for you.
I did the exact same thing. I have owned six Wranglers, and only one being a four door. I did not like it at all. Back to a two door Rubicon with a soft top. Back to the basics. Well, as basic as one can get with power windows, an eight inch infotainment screen an ESS. Ha!

Sponsored

Mooch76

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Train Operator
I went 2door. I don’t like the way the 4doors look unless they are lifted with meaty tires also they need to have the doors off.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The four door is just way too large for me. I’ve made measurements and it wouldn’t even fit in my garage without a lot of rearranging.

Really it’s up to individual preference but it would be hard for me to drive a vehicle that large regularly.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The four door is just way too large for me. I’ve made measurements and it wouldn’t even fit in my garage without a lot of rearranging.

Really it’s up to individual preference but it would be hard for me to drive a vehicle that large regularly.
I thought the 4 door was only about 22 inches longer? I just need to clean my garage and I should be good. lol

Granted for tight trails with heavy maneuvering the 2 door has it over the 4. I just did black bear pass in my TJ and was extremely happy I didnt have something longer. But the 4 door has climbing advantages the 2 door would love to have. I am leaning 4 door because a little because of that but mostly for the extra room. My biggest worry is the fun factor. My little 2 door TJ is just plain fun, I cant imagine how fun a 100 more horse power would make it.

I also agree the 4 door is ugly on the JKU's but not quite as bad on the JL's, still it needs a lift and big tires BADLY to look good vs a bone stock 2 door.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I'm a little confused...how did this have anything to do with it being a 2 door? It's still a 5000+ lb vehicle, right? Because of the shorter wheelbase? Just curious.
Yes spun around due to shorter wheel base I guess. I was not going very fast at all and no standing water, just slowed down to get on the exit ramp and it just spun completely around.
OEM Tires only had 1200 miles and my 4 door never has done that nor my other longer wheel base vehicles.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Watch the videos of jeeps running the Rubicon Trail. There are many. In most every video you see, there is a mix of 2s and 4s. The 2s are slightly less stable and have a slightly tougher time. They all make it and they all do quite well. Clearance is only one aspect and if you watch closely you can see just what I mean.

If you watch other things like King of the Hammers, you may notice the "rigs" that run that race have a wheel base as long or even longer than a JKU/JLU. Stability on steep descent's and up steep boulder covered climbs, the longer wheel base has the advantage.

And as far as Black Bear and the Alpine Loop switchbacks I see short and long requiring a three point turn on most of the tight ones anyway.

Personally I would rather drive a two door, but the long distances we travel to go camping and wheeling we need every inch of cargo space we can get. Also hauling 2-4 Grand kids at times also throws a wrench in it.

Sponsored

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
We ordered Majito 2 Door. Our 97 TJ we've had for over 20 years got us along great. If we did
make a mistake, I will buy her a unlimited in another 20 years ;)

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
4 doors & 11 speeds. ;)

Everyone's situation & needs are different.

4doors.jpg
Love this look. Around here all I see are hard tops. Mine's on order and it's just a Sport with Auto and A/C.
Not sure of base black steel wheels. Wife thinks better for retirement down near the coast of Fla.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
True. It's not a perfect drawing. Still, I think 4 doors have better "reach" in some cases. But, yeah, if there's a leveling off after a steep incline (like in my drawing), it will have a breakover problem.
I completely agree, there are some trails in Moab that have minimum 100 inch wheelbase requirement. I was just trying to point out that those type of trails will also need a good amount of lift to negotiate. If OP plans to keep his jeep near stock ,I think a 2 dr will do better on most trails that can be run stock.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Watch the videos of jeeps running the Rubicon Trail. There are many. In most every video you see, there is a mix of 2s and 4s. The 2s are slightly less stable and have a slightly tougher time. They all make it and they all do quite well. Clearance is only one aspect and if you watch closely you can see just what I mean.

If you watch other things like King of the Hammers, you may notice the "rigs" that run that race have a wheel base as long or even longer than a JKU/JLU. Stability on steep descent's and up steep boulder covered climbs, the longer wheel base has the advantage.

And as far as Black Bear and the Alpine Loop switchbacks I see short and long requiring a three point turn on most of the tight ones anyway.

Personally I would rather drive a two door, but the long distances we travel to go camping and wheeling we need every inch of cargo space we can get. Also hauling 2-4 Grand kids at times also throws a wrench in it.
Don't know about the stability aspect, mine is VERY stable, then again mine has had a lot of work done to it.

I pure over the hard core forums but not the ultra hard core rigs like the ones that do king of the hammers with unreal suspension mega powered v8s, running 44's or whatever. Most of us semi hard core guys cant even relate to that stuff so I'm not sure it's helpful info. In the semi hard core forums the pattern is a 2 door jeep wheel base is just too short when it comes to climbing things. The sweet spot is 110 inches per many vs what about 93-96 inches of a stock rig. The new JL is about 116 if I remember right so a bit too long which hurts in break over. So jeep missed the sweet spot on both rigs for a really effective trail rig. This might be why the TJ unlimited is so popular with a 103 inch wheel base. Still not optimal if you believe 110 is the deal but it works pretty darn well over a regular tj.

Black Bear pass, yeah I was doing 3 point turns on a few but mostly out of an abundance of caution. It's not a hard trail at all, but the pucker factor is immense since the penalty for failure is huge. A shorter wheel base vehicle there is an undisputable advantage and in a big way. 4 point turns or more are likely in a 4 door. BUT I for sure don't think that makes the 2 door THE rig for offroad. Just one consideration.

I am getting closer to a 4 door decision but since I normally set up my rigs quite well I know I will be spending more money on a 4 door vs a 2 door to get it up higher on break overs. For one where I normally go 35's on a 2door I will likely do 37s on the 4 door.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
You are spot on. Something to look at with this JL or JLUR is the turning radius. I drive my 13 JLU daily and when I get into (my wife's) JLUR I cannot believe the difference in tight turning.

Stability may have been the wrong word. I'm meaning more like when you are front wheel in the air "balanced" on three, the off camber rock and roll. That probably doesn't make sense either. Damn... well Ill leave it at I love them both and prefer a manual trans just because. So I have made concessions out of necessity and drive a 4d and an AT.
Your right about Black Bear, technically its a cake walk, problem is how dead you would be if you move over one foot or in some spots 6 inches..... The same can be said for many places in the San Juan's (God's Country). I'm missin it bad.

Getting ready for a 2.5 lift and 37s on the JLUR. It will have the same clearance our 15 Rubi did with 3.5 and 35s. little lower COG. (And real stout belly pans).
Sponsored