Help deciding on 2 door or 4 door Rubicon

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I opted for the 2 Door for several reasons. Certainly the "iconic jeep" is a plus...but from a practical standpoint, here were some of my reasons.

1) We have a teenage daughter. In a couple of years, she will be starting college and doing her thing. But until then, when she goes with my wife and I, she won't care that it's a little tight in the back seat.

2) Most adventures, it will just be me and the Mrs. So if we need to put anything in it, we can fold the seat down or take it out.

3) As long as it has room for a set of golf clubs, I'm good.

4) We have a couple of other vehicles that we can drive if we need room for more people.

5) Long range plans, I intend on getting a new Ram (2020 or 2021), so again, other vehicles are available (and will be available) if needed.

6) I like the look of some 4 doors that are lifted and have 35's or 37's. However, a stock 4 door Rubi, just doesn't appeal to me. But that's just my personal opinion.

Just a few reasons I went 2 door.
Sponsored

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If its strictly for the road the 4 door is hard to beat
If its for off road the short wheelbase of the 2 door is hard to beat

I feel like the 2 door Jeeps make the trails I typically travel on "easy mode". The trails seem to be more challenging in the 4 door. The longer wheelbase of the four door makes tight trails harder to navigate and in my opinion difficult to get up rock sections that are not advantageous to longer wheel bases.

JasonMSN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If you're going to do serious wheeling and plan to take the top & doors off - I'd got with the 2DR. Looks much better with doors off and of course 2 less doors to take off.

If you're more concerned about the flexibility of having space to haul stuff/people - then the 4DR.

I used to have a 2001 and a 2003 (first Rubicon made), and I love them. But when I got my first JKU I never looked back and have been a 4DR guy ever since - even after having kids leaving the nest.

Sponsored

stsdroog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I went from a two door CJ, YJ, JK to a 4 door JK, JL and haven't gone back.
The two door is for sure more fun. But the convenience of the 4 door makes up for it in day to day use.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Had a JK 2 door and loved it by myself but wife and daughter refused to ride in the back seat and when I would take long trips and one day it was raining hard on the Interstate got off on an exit ramp and got completely turned around facing traffic.

The next day I sold it and got the JKU and never looked back.

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to wheelin', I can think of at least a couple scenarios where they differ, where one has an advantage over the other. 2 doors have a better breakover angle (i.e., less chance of getting high centered), whereas 4 doors have better reach. I don't think it's a huge deal one way or another, but if you off road on certain terrain, it's just something to consider. I made a little graphic to illustrate. To add, if I were doing something Black Bear Pass with its tight switchbacks, I would much rather be in a 2 door than a 4 door.

2dr4dr.jpg

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Had both and will never go back to the 2 door. Our blowup mattress fits in the back. ;)

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
My cars are all coupes...and the back seats are laughable & just take up space. When I was ready to get a Jeep, 4 wasn't an option since it's just me & The Chick on trips & I've never had a need or reason to stuff anyone behind me. Friends travel in their cars. After I took a few pictures, I removed the back seat from my JL & put it away. Folds down with plenty of room for the golf bag, but I prefer not to have it. If ever needed, as awkward as it is to lift, i can stick it back in. As I've seen many posters mention, it's a personal preference with familial needs taken into consideration. I like the look of the 2-door.

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
...and one day it was raining hard on the Interstate got off on an exit ramp and got completely turned around facing traffic.
I'm a little confused...how did this have anything to do with it being a 2 door? It's still a 5000+ lb vehicle, right? Because of the shorter wheelbase? Just curious.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
When it comes to wheelin', I can think of at least a couple scenarios where they differ, where one has an advantage over the other. 2 doors have a better breakover angle (i.e., less chance of getting high centered), whereas 4 doors have better reach. I don't think it's a huge deal one way or another, but if you off road on certain terrain, it's just something to consider. I made a little graphic to illustrate. To add, if I were doing something Black Bear Pass with its tight switchbacks, I would much rather be in a 2 door than a 4 door.

2dr4dr.jpg

That's an excellent visual for an example of each. I did like how much more stable the 4 door felt in Moab. I just like smaller more nimble vehicles. 2 doors for me.

Back seat is in the basement.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I want to get a 2 door, its more iconic. But for me, this will be a second car, and I have no kids or dogs. The back seat may come out and stay out. If I had kids or dogs, I would probably go 4 doors.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?

2dr4dr.jpg
Nice illustration but keep in mind that even in pic#1 the 2dr seems to have a better chance of making it up. 4dr needs a lot more lift or it will get high centered even on the first pic scenario.
Sponsored