Sponsored

Help deciding on 2 door or 4 door Rubicon

tomahawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray ordered 16 Aug delivered 11 Sep.,,2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi, Traded 2017 JKU Big Bear, 2012 Ford Focus.
Long time lurker here, but now ready to get a new JL Rubicon, my only dilemma now is that I cannot decide between a 2 door or 4 door. Currently I have a JK Unlimited and like all the room and being able to throw stuff in the back easily and some times carrying extra people and gear too. I had a 2001 TJ which I loved, but not a lot of cargo room. I wonā€™t be hauling the family all the time (we have a Grand Cherokee for the family vehicle). I just donā€™t want to regret getting a 2 door instead of a 4 door. Has anyone here bought the 2 door but wished they opted for the 4 door?
Sponsored

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you know which one you should get. The convenience of the Unlimited will be worth it! Whichever way you go it will be an awesome vehicle.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Long time lurker here, but now ready to get a new JL Rubicon, my only dilemma now is that I cannot decide between a 2 door or 4 door. Currently I have a JK Unlimited and like all the room and being able to throw stuff in the back easily and some times carrying extra people and gear too. I had a 2001 TJ which I loved, but not a lot of cargo room. I wonā€™t be hauling the family all the time (we have a Grand Cherokee for the family vehicle). I just donā€™t want to regret getting a 2 door instead of a 4 door. Has anyone here bought the 2 door but wished they opted for the 4 door?
I have a Jk Unlimited and a two door Jl - I now only drive the JK if I have three people - the 2dr is more fun IMHO

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I used to laugh at the 4 doors. ā€œGet a real Jeep, wannabes!ā€ Then I got a 4 door. At this point Iā€™m not sure I could ever go back. More room is a big plus. But it also looks tougher with 4.

But thatā€™s just my 2 cents.

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I used to laugh at the 4 doors. ā€œGet a real Jeep, wannabes!ā€ Then I got a 4 door. At this point Iā€™m not sure I could ever go back. More room is a big plus. But it also looks tougher with 4.

But thatā€™s just my 2 cents.
I totally agree on the looking tougher. It's funny, because they started as the mall crawler but they look meaner. I love the 2 doors still, but they look so tiny now. It's all preference of course.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Wrangler coupe for the win. Two door looks more rugged , itā€™s the original jeep design. Itā€™s the one and only 2 door SUV 4x4 on the market period ! which makes it very unique.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I bought a four door. I donā€™t need one, but wanted the space. If there was a longer wheelbase 2 door, it would have been great. As it is, my rear seat is folded all the time, but I have two easy access points to my cargo area. I love my Jeep, but somehow a two door seems a little cooler to me.
Overall I have no regrets or buyers remorse. I bought the closest thing that the factory offered to fill my needs.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I feel like with a family its very hard to go 2-door. I want one, but will definitely go 4.

Even if you're not hauling the family all the time, you'll still more than likely do so enough that 4 doors is probably worth it. Remember, kids (from young 'in a to 20-somethings) have a proven track record of "loving the jeep," and GC's don't count. And even if you're not hauling the family, if you have a family you'll surely find yourself hauling stuff at some point, and the four door has a LOT more room than the two.

I think my opinion would differ if there were significant compromises with the four door, but realistically it is just as effective on all but the most extreme trails (and a quick Google search will show the advantage of the longer wheel base even on some of those).

No real performance compromise. Added functionality. And now, as @STLYoungblood noted, it's shaken the mall crawler reputation. 4 door seems like an awful lot of win to me...

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a two door 2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon and loved it. Then I drove the 2012 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and traded the JK that I had only owned for six months on the JKUR. Then in 2015 I bought another JKUR and now its 2018 and I bought another JKUR.

Here is my personal summary with no offense to two door owners. The two door is the classic Jeep, it is iconic and no one has ever come close to competing with it. The silhouette of it is burned into people memories. There is no replacement for it and it belongs in the Smithsonian and on the trail.

The four door Jeep is a work horse. It carries four people and more than two bags of groceries at one time. It can haul child seats without contorting oneself to put the kiddo in the back. Fold down the rear seat and go to Home Depot and stock up on whatever you need. Then take it out on the trail and it performs outstandingly. Drive it on the highway and you'll never buy another two door Jeep again.

Last edited:

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
My first Wrangler was a JKU 2-door Sahara. The salesman immediately tried to up-sell me on a 4-door unlimited. My response was "No, wife, no kids, no problem," and I stuck with the 2-door and absolutely loved it. 2018 is a lot different this time around...

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wifeā€™s)
This is our second unlimited. We do have kids. All of our vehicles are currently 4 doors. In the early 2000ā€™s a friend of mine had a 2 door Jeep. It was new at the time. He let me drive it. I remember thinking the slightest movement of the steering wheel had that thing turning. I didnā€™t like how it drove on the highway because of that. Iā€™m sure the new ones are much improved. I like the look of the 2 door, and think Iā€™ll get one someday, but for me now, the 4 door is a no brainer.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Get the 2dr rubicon, simple. Less doors to take off ;)
Great!!! That is a great reason. I love it!

However, crawling into the back seat of a two door can be a bit of a chore.
Sponsored