Help Confirming Parts for Radio Upgrade

jeepnurse_jl

First Name
Tabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hi all. I'm new here and learning my way around my Jeep. I'm looking to upgrade the 5.5 radio in my Sport S. I have the heated seats and steering in my system as well as SXM which I'd like to retain. I do not have the dual zone climate control. A very kind person helped me on facebook with getting a parts list together for what I need but I just want to get another opinion before I pull the trigger and make sure this is all correct for my needs and to see if there is anything else I need to know. Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Help Confirming Parts for Radio Upgrade Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 5.38.12 AM
Sponsored

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
What do you mean by upgrade your radio? I’m not understanding why you need those parts for any sort of audio upgrade.
I’m looking at them again, & it looks like you want to swap out the 5.5” radio with another Mopar one that costs around $1250. I’m not sure if that’s the 7” or 8.4” radio. I think for that kind of money you can get a better aftermarket radio & have it professionally installed for less. You could also probably find a used 7” or 8.4” radio for much less, though I don’t know what all is involved with a swap. I believe a dealer flash is required and you’d need the anti theft code. I think if you search the forum for “5.5 radio” you’ll find threads where people have done something similar to what you want to do.

Last edited:

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
That is pretty much a complete list for doing the 8.4 swap a lot of people just put the radio in the list that they put together for you is every item you would need to do it correctly yes you could find a used radio but most people want about that much for them anyway that’s not a bad price the climate control will give you the volume knob that you’ll be losing when you get rid of your 5 inch radio people that don’t get this just use the steering wheel controls for volume.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by upgrade your radio? I’m not understanding why you need those parts for any sort of audio upgrade.
I’m looking at them again, & it looks like you want to swap out the 5.5” radio with another Mopar one that costs around $1250. I’m not sure if that’s the 7” or 8.4” radio. I think for that kind of money you can get a better aftermarket radio & have it professionally installed for less. You could also probably find a used 7” or 8.4” radio for much less, though I don’t know what all is involved with a swap. I believe a dealer flash is required and you’d need the anti theft code. I think if you search the forum for “5.5 radio” you’ll find threads where people have done something similar to what you want to do.
Did you ever get to your install?