@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
hey guys I got the cargo mat all done besides putting the gap filler back in the rail thing. The little clips are all
Wonky and I can’t get mat back in. Tips?

70967647-2751-4AC0-B267-2229720E414A.jpeg
Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
That's it ur screwed. I purchased the gap filler, it came broken. I was curious how it went in and looked, so I installed the broken one before I sent it back for replacement. Once installed there's no going back. I tried to take it out and all the tabs broke. Luckily the place I got it from didn't care and sent me out a new one.

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
those metal clips are suppose to stay on the plastic tabs on the back of the filler panel. Pop the metal clips out of the bracket & bend the little spikes so they are pointed down into the clip once more. now you should be able to slide the clips back onto the plastic tabs of the filler panel. If the plastic tabs did break, yeah you will need a new gap filler panel.

OP
OP
@OUTDOORTREE

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
those metal clips are suppose to stay on the plastic tabs on the back of the filler panel. Pop the metal clips out of the bracket & bend the little spikes so they are pointed down into the clip once more. now you should be able to slide the clips back onto the plastic tabs of the filler panel. If the plastic tabs did break, yeah you will need a new gap filler panel.
So did I pull it out wrong. The instructions said to just lift it up. I called my dealer and he said I probably did it wrong. We looked at the instructions together and he said hmmm... I probably could have done it fine. But I said look at the instructions it says to lift it up. Could I have possible got the metal tabs out with the gap filler? If I did something wrong I am fine with eating it but If it is mopars bad instructions then I think they should fix it.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Little late to say this, but I think most people on here are just installing that part of the mat without ever removing the gap cover.

Sponsored

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
Little little to say this, but I think most people on here are just installing that part of the mat without ever removing the gap cover.
Yeah the cargo cover is definitely easier to just install with the filler in place. I know this may not help now, but for anyone installing the cargo covers, DO NOT remove the filler. The instructions definitely need to be fixed- although they aren’t very helpful either way!

BISON

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara 2017 Summit
Occupation
College Professor
Ordered the Mopar Cargo tray from Quadratec and installed it in my new JLU Sahara. I liked the look, the fact that the protection extended up the backs of the second-row seats, and that it preserves access to the existing tie downs and eventual aftermarket TRMS (whenever and whatever that is). The three rubber mats came in a huge box that allowed the mats to rattle around with some resulting scratches, mars and bends which Quadratec replaced. The word-free instructions which came with the Cargo Mat are VERY confusing, but the UTUBE video by Erwin Arellano gave me the courage to cut the required 15 holes in the backs of my leather seats and the Gap Hider.

Some advice and observations for Jeep newbies like me:

Those holes you have to cut provide access to existing brackets in the backs of the seats and Gap Hider into which you install (by pushing or light taps from a rubber mallet) receivers which then enable the attachment the three rubber mats to the backs of the seats and the Gap Hider. Get the 15 holes cut, install the receivers, and snap the mats into place – that’s it.

You can locate the brackets by feel and once you’ve done the first one (consider doing one at the bottom of the seat which will be covered by the Gap Hider in case things don’t go well). Once you have the first one done it will go pretty quickly.

The instructions suggest the use of a box cutter to make the holes, but I found an Exacto Knife works better and in the UTUBE video you’ll see Erwin cut his holes with a hunting knife.

I DID NOT remove the Gap Minder. I’d read some posts about problems getting it reinstalled so I just left it in place and had no problem cutting the holes or installing the mats.

The pull for the Cubby cover should extend upward at the edge of the flat mat in the cargo area.

Your install will not look quite as good as https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/cargo-tray-jeep-wrangler-jl but I’m glad I put it in given my extensive use of the cargo area for fishing trips, hauling stuff, etc. I improved the fit by placing some serious weight (I used flats of shotgun shells) on areas that were not laying flat as well as right up to the seam where the Gap Minder bends to go upward on the back of the seats. I left them in place for a few days and it improved the fit significantly.

Sir Harriet

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ Wrangler, 2018 JL Sahara 4 Door
I got this set for my new JL, and the cargo liner is ridiculously complicated and doesn't cover the area I had hoped...there is still so much of the carpet left showing that it immediately gets dirty when the dog jumps in...I have had to buy a carpet to put under it and try and cover up the still showing parts...doesnt even cover the very front of the main part....not terribly impressed. and yes, following the directions and taking out the gap hider was a pain...you do have to take it out to cut the holes they need you to cut... not sure why mopar had to make it so complicated and in so many pieces and requiring so much cutting out...because now, if its not what you want after trying it for a while, you are hooped about the holes cut in everything.
Sponsored