Sponsored

HELP! Approaching 3yr/36,000 miles. Should I extend warranty?

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
We had it for our 2011 JGC (life time max care from Mopar). We had the GC for 10 years and the warranty paired for itself, it even covered shocks when they went (3 repairs for the blender doors as well). Like any warranty it’s a toss up if you’ll ever use it but I like knowing I’m not going to be surprised with a big bill so I bought them again for the JLU and our new GC. Part of it is our dealer is great and I’ve never even had to ask if it’s covered, they just immediately say ”oh, you have max care.. you’re all set”
Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
We had it for our 2011 JGC (life time max care from Mopar). We had the GC for 10 years and the warranty paired for itself, it even covered shocks when they went (3 repairs for the blender doors as well). Like any warranty it’s a toss up if you’ll ever use it but I like knowing I’m not going to be surprised with a big bill so I bought them again for the JLU and our new GC. Part of it is our dealer is great and I’ve never even had to ask if it’s covered, they just immediately say ”oh, you have max care.. you’re all set”
Did you off road your GC? And by that I mean what we do with a Wrangler, it a washboard dirt access road. All of these warranties states that off road use is not covered.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I initially wasn’t, and didn’t when I got it, but when I hit almost 36k in under a year, and had already had an issue with my clutch and the master cylinder going out and my swaybar disconnect malfunctioning I figured it’d probably be better to not take a chance with it still being so new and who knows what gremlins may start coming out. Wasn’t too terrible. Got it for 5 yrs/100k miles for $1500.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
You a have convinced me to forget the extended warranty all together.
I feel good to have helped. I vow to never buy another extended warranty myself. The uncertainty niggles at you, what if, what if, but the reality is you win some and you lose some, but if you buy the extended warranty, it's more like buying a very expensive lottery ticket than anything.
I have not owned a Chrysler vehicle in over 40 years, so I was a little concerned with all the doom and gloom found on this forum. Then I started thinking about the 100’s of 1,000’s for these that Jeep sells every year, and this is a VERY small sample size here.
I have a rule against buying Chrysler vehicles myself. A buddy of mine and I bought new 2013 trucks at the same time. Mine is a Ford that doesn't leak a drop of any fluid after 110,000 miles. His was a Dodge that leaked from every seal and had a severe defect that caused him to shred the factory tires within 5,000 miles. He traded it on a Ford.

I know lots of guys with Chrysler horror stories, and yet I bought a Jeep anyway. I figure the Jeep Wrangler is the one thing they must never get wrong, or they are dead. I'm gambling it just can't be that bad to own, but who knows.

Alea iacta est.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I did not buy an extended warranty. I have 51,000 miles on my Jeep and it has been pretty much trouble free except for things that I have broke by wheeling it to hard. Those things that I broke, I planned on upgrading anyways.

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
I've always looked at extended (or most any type) warranties just like gambling. In the same vein as insurance, it's just a numbers game and the odds are stacked against you. Sure, it might pay off, but there's a greater chance that it won't, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Don’t bother. I just got denied warranty on my 2020 JLUR w/ Mopar lift and 37s that the dealer installed when it was new, now my drag link is wore out and they sent me packing saying it was my tire size and my problem.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty is like oxygen... you only feel the need of it when you don't have it.
My extended warranty almost paid for itself when I only paid my deductible of $100 to change the POS uconnet "premium" the Jeep came with... and now, I have started a claim for the driver side mirror since it stopped working... So far... so good.

EDIT: BTW-I did not buy the warranty from the dealer or from FCA... F that.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Warranty is like oxygen... you only feel the need of it when you don't have it.
My extended warranty almost paid for itself when I only paid my deductible of $100 to change the POS uconnet "premium" the Jeep came with... and now, I have started a claim for the driver side mirror since it stopped working... So far... so good.

EDIT: BTW-I did not buy the warranty from the dealer or from FCA... F that.
Is your Jeep out of the normal warranty period yet?

Sponsored

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Did you off road your GC? And by that I mean what we do with a Wrangler, it a washboard dirt access road. All of these warranties states that off road use is not covered.
No more then dirt/logging roads so not the same as people do in the Wranglers. My take is that if I’m off-roading and break something that is on me, but if my water pump dies, door locks stop workin, or the blender doors stop working I’m going to be covered (some of the things I had covered). Again, it’s a lottery and only you can decide if it’s worth it (as seen in this thread) :)

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I didn't start buying the extended warranties (service contracts) until a few vehicles ago. Prior to that, I wish I'd had one when something major went wrong. I learned my lesson and I bought the Mopar Maxcare lifetime for our last two Chrysler vehicles. The one we had on our 2013 paid for itself and then some by the time we traded it in 7.5 years later on our current JLU. The Maxcare lifetime on our 2018 GC has been used a few times but still too new to reap the full benefits yet.

II know the lifetime plan is no longer offered but we plan on getting some type of Maxcare long-term plan for our JLU. FCA several times has offered me $2,500 to buy back my lifetime Maxcare, which is very close to what I paid for the plan. They wouldn't do that if they were making money on these things.

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
FCA several times has offered me $2,500 to buy back my lifetime Maxcare, which is very close to what I paid for the plan. They wouldn't do that if they were making money on these things.
There's probably a good reason they don't offer it anymore ;)

(pretty sure they'll be losing money on those lifetime warranties for years to come...once you put a mileage and time limit on them though they become something you will use to something you might)

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
We were able to get an additional 36 mos/30k miles, $0 deductible Max Care warranty added via Ziegler in March for $1075, which was dirt cheap. I know prices went up in April so YMMV

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!  Approaching 3yr/36,000 miles.  Should I extend warranty? 1624882895964

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

Use Discount Code PAYINFULL to take a couple hundred bucks off.

Ziegler is one of the largest dealership groups in the midwest and is 100% legit.

Jeep Wrangler JL HELP!  Approaching 3yr/36,000 miles.  Should I extend warranty? 1624883002562
Sponsored