Sponsored

HELP! Approaching 3yr/36,000 miles. Should I extend warranty?

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
So have an early JL (one of first Sting Grays). Car has been great. It did have the clutch recall. Otherwise no issues.
Approaching end of initial 3 year 36,000 warranty.

Is it worth extending for 5 years? I expect to have car for 5+ years and pass off to kid.

Mopar is asking a lot for that right now $3776 for 5 more years.
That seems way too. much but I haven't shopped around yet.
Any suggestions much appreciated

If yes, how to I get best deal?
Sponsored

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
So have an early JL (one of first Sting Grays). Car has been great. It did have the clutch recall. Otherwise no issues.
Approaching end of initial 3 year 36,000 warranty.

Is it worth extending for 5 years? I expect to have car for 5+ years and pass off to kid.

Mopar is asking a lot for that right now $3776 for 5 more years.
That seems way too. much but I haven't shopped around yet.
Any suggestions much appreciated

If yes, how to I get best deal?
I would call Tom Winkles and see what he can do. Also, checkout Zeiglerā€˜s website (https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/) and use code PAYINFULL for a discount. The prices do go up at 12k and 24k miles, but that seems high. Zeigler quoted me $1185 for 8yr/85k on my 2021 JLU.

Tom Winkels
Finance Manager
Hayes Jeep
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, Mi 49008

Direct Contact Info:
[email protected]
269-385-1116

C2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
That is always a tough call. I'm thinking about the same thing in about a year. So far, so good but a lot of people have problems with their Jeeps.

When I purchased mine, I checked with my credit union first and got a quote, At the dealer, which offered the exact same company warranty, they couldn't touch the price and even said it was a really good deal. I waited to purchase as I didn't see double covering the first three years. Anyway, check with your local credit union.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Doesn't matter where you end up getting quotes from, make sure you verify exactly what is covered. Some of these warranties can have weird exclusions if you don't read the fine print.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Tom Winkels in a previous reply saved me $1,500 off what my dealer wanted for the exact same Mopar warranty at closing when we bought our 2013 JK. I showed Tom's quote to the finance manager and he said the price was less than their cost and they could not match it.

I bought it from Tom and the warranty was still honored the same way by my local dealer. I don't think the service advisor could tell where I bought it, just that it was covered by a Mopar Maxcare lifetime warranty.

Anyway, if you do decide to get an extended warranty get the Mopar, NOT some third party version.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My wife used to work at a dealership and so I would talk to the finance guy. You most definitely want to shove around. Lots of good advice in previous posts. As to whether you really need it, I will defer to someone else with more knowledge on higher mileage on these Jeepā€™s. I have 46K on my 2018 and have had zero problems . Still on my CPO warranty. I will be in the same boat next year, looking into this again. My gut tells me not to purchase unless I get a real good deal.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
I was in the same boat with my 2 JKā€™s.
My 2016 Rubi was pretty much trouble-free for the first 36k miles so I didnā€™t buy one.
My ā€˜17 Rubi gave me problems since day one. I bought the longest Mopar warranty with lowest ded.
That warranty paid itself back AT LEAST 5X! Best decision ever made.
Got tired of spending all my time at the Dealer and recently traded for a ā€˜21 Rubi.
The Dealer cancelled my extended warranty and Mopar sent me a REFUND CHECK FOR $1,600!!!!! WHAHOOOOO!! Was I happy!

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Iā€™d venture that if youā€™ve been trouble free for 36k miles odds are pretty good things will continue to work ok for a long time. No way Iā€™d plunk down $3700 for extended warranty given that history. Remember, always, that extended warrantyā€™s are big money makers for the seller (and thatā€™s why you get half dozen ā€œyour warranty is about to expireā€ phone calls a day). Todayā€™s vehicles, if maintained, should go 200k or so without major issues (which is why warranty companies will gladly sell you coverage for 100 or 125k miles). Obviously, there ARE vehicles that have issues, but in my 54 years of auto ownership, involving LOTs of new vehicles, most manufacturing issues/defective parts will show themselves fairly early on. YMMV

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I will never own a JL outside of warranty. I spent a lot of time adding features to mine back in December, and seeing how the thing is built, I decided right then that if my wife wants to keep it longer than the warranty period, we WILL be extending the warranty.

Sponsored

locknload10

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
Just bought an extended warranty from Tom Winkle. He was the cheapest! Second place was Zeiglerā€˜s website. 100 dollar difference! I had a 2012 town and country with the lifetime warranty and it paid for itself. You just never know with cars so for 200 dollars a year its worth it! No one likes paying the high cost for repairs!

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Do you want to keep the car? Did you bring the car for a global check-up to a trusted mechanic, just to know how everything is holding?

Make sure you know what repair you'll have to except in the next few years. If the list is long, I suggest an extended warranty. If the car is holding perfectly, it'll be useless, especially if it doesn't cover everything.

Last edited:

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
Definitely call Tom as mentioned above. I had roughly 5,000 miles on my 2020 JLUR back in March. $980.00 for Warranty to 5-1-28 or 85K miles. $200 deductible. I'll never hit 85K miles (had my 13 JKUS for 7 1/2 years and only put 57K on it). For me it was worth it for piece of mind. I have the 2.0 with e-torque, and had reservations about it, but now I really don't worry about anything going wrong.

locknload10

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JL
Does the extended warranty cover the Sky one touch roof ?
I'm not sure because I don't have that feature, but go to mopar website and you can read through all plans and what's covered.
Sponsored