Sponsored

Help! After reading so many forums I’m still undecided!

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
I’ve got 37s on my Willys with the stock axles and gears (for now).

I agree with everything that’s said here. I wouldn’t touch the 30, save the money and put a 44 in when it breaks. The gears are not that bad. I hit 6th at best on the highway. I can manually shift into 7 and 8 but it can be a dog. They’re fine for driving around town and have been fine wheeling too, although I don’t get too hardcore with it (mainly because I don’t want to replace that 30 yet!).

Edit: …and I just realized you said you had an M6. So my gear comments may be a little less relevant.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The 37’s don’t really need a regear if you’re on road. You can still offroad too. Honestly, just do the lift and 37’s then wait a while. I did 39’s and straight into a regear, but in hindsight could have been fine without the regear if I wanted to save for 60’s. I did offroad it on 39’s with my stock 4.10’s and it did fine, just not ideal.
It will turn into a 5 speed, but honestly it was smoother. 1st gear was super easy to roll out smooth.
I think the issue here is he’s in a willys, and it doesn’t have 4.10s from the factory. My 19 manual JL sport had 3.45s and with 35” tires it was basically a 4 speed. It would be rough running 37s without a regear

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think the issue here is he’s in a willys, and it doesn’t have 4.10s from the factory. My 19 manual JL sport had 3.45s and with 35” tires it was a 4 speed. It would be rough running 37s without a regear
I hear you, I think it would be worth it though to wait it out and jump straight to a bigger axle rather than spend money on something that’ll be swapped out.
Maybe 35’s and no regear until axles and 37’s? Honestly it would be easier on the steering anyway.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I hear you, I think it would be worth it though to wait it out and jump straight to a bigger axle rather than spend money on something that’ll be swapped out.
Maybe 35’s and no regear until axles and 37’s? Honestly it would be easier on the steering anyway.
I definitely agree with that. 35s is about the limit on the sport axles anyway. It’s definitely the limit of the 3.45 gears. I was at that point with my last build, and spending big money on 1tons, gears, and lockers didn’t make sense to me so I sold it and ordered a JLUR XR that’s going on 37s with factory 4.56 gears. Got MSRP for my 19 after 2 years and 35k miles, it was a no brainer.

OP
OP

Thegreatpunkn

First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willys
I think the issue here is he’s in a willys, and it doesn’t have 4.10s from the factory. My 19 manual JL sport had 3.45s and with 35” tires it was basically a 4 speed. It would be rough running 37s without a regear
Jeepeto what’s your setup? Still on 35s? Did you regear? Do anything to your axle? I tried viewing your profile for a build sheet but didn’t see anything. Can I get some info? Also, for everyone, I’m trying to talk myself into 35s simply because it’s easier on everything obviously but I have a newborn and 3 y/o and a wife that’s 5’4 on a good day lol

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeepeto what’s your setup? Still on 35s? Did you regear? Do anything to your axle? I tried viewing your profile for a build sheet but didn’t see anything. Can I get some info? Also, for everyone, I’m trying to talk myself into 35s simply because it’s easier on everything obviously but I have a newborn and 3 y/o and a wife that’s 5’4 on a good day lol
2019 JL 2 door sport, 2” dynatrac lift, 35”x12.5” Yokohama G003s, on factory axles and factory gearing. It’s the limit of that rig in my opinion. I ran 4th gear on the highway, got ~16mpg road tripped and wheeled the heck out of it. It’s livable, just treat it like a 4 speed. No way I would have run 37s, I looked into upgrading axles and ended up selling it and ordering a new Jeep with the axles and and gearing to run 37s acceptably. Don’t underestimate the 35s and LSD though, you can go far with that setup.

OP
OP

Thegreatpunkn

First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willys
2019 JL 2 door sport, 2” dynatrac lift, 35”x12.5” Yokohama G003s, on factory axles and factory gearing. It’s the limit of that rig in my opinion. I ran 4th gear on the highway, got ~16mpg road tripped and wheeled the heck out of it. It’s livable, just treat it like a 4 speed. No way I would have run 37s, I looked into upgrading axles and ended up selling it and ordering a new Jeep with the axles and and gearing to run 37s acceptably. Don’t underestimate the 35s and LSD though, you can go far with that setup.
I don’t want to sound stupid but wouldn’t it have been cheaper to buy a pr44 if that was the Avenue you wanted to go and re gear?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don’t want to sound stupid but wouldn’t it have been cheaper to buy a pr44 if that was the Avenue you wanted to go and re gear?
It is a small piece of the puzzle. I don’t think you should sell your rig just for the axles. If anything I’d search out a Ruby front axle from someone who upgraded to tons and regear the back to 4.10s to match. As for me, I got all my money back on that Jeep when I sold it. The used market is nuts and made it a no brainer for me. I was running into issues with the wheelbase on the 2 door. As I moved on to harder trails I realized the stability offered by the 4door would be needed to feel comfortable when things got tippy, and this would be magnified by more lift. Also we road trip it out to Moab from North Texas a few times a year, with our two large dogs the extra space would be pretty sweet as well. By the time I spent the time upgrading the front axle and adding lockers, and gears to the 44 out back I was still spending a bunch of money on a rig that I wouldn’t get back. Being able to order it all from the factory means, it’s under warranty and in 5 years when I sell it, it’s attached to the VIN, and the vehicle is worth more.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I own a Sahara with a rear LSD, 2-inch Mopar lift and 35-inch Generals: the thing is a beast! I haven't had to re-gear.

I would go with the 2-inch lift, the 35-inch tires and leave it at that. That setup will make your Willys extremely capable. Drive it for awhile before you spend any money re-gearing. Chances are you won't feel the need.

Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Thegreatpunkn

First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willys
It is a small piece of the puzzle. I don’t think you should sell your rig just for the axles. If anything I’d search out a Ruby front axle from someone who upgraded to tons and regear the back to 4.10s to match. As for me, I got all my money back on that Jeep when I sold it. The used market is nuts and made it a no brainer for me. I was running into issues with the wheelbase on the 2 door. As I moved on to harder trails I realized the stability offered by the 4door would be needed to feel comfortable when things got tippy, and this would be magnified by more lift. Also we road trip it out to Moab from North Texas a few times a year, with our two large dogs the extra space would be pretty sweet as well. By the time I spent the time upgrading the front axle and adding lockers, and gears to the 44 out back I was still spending a bunch of money on a rig that I wouldn’t get back. Being able to order it all from the factory means, it’s under warranty and in 5 years when I sell it, it’s attached to the VIN, and the vehicle is worth more.
Makes perfect since and please don’t think I was trying to be a smart ass lol. I like the fact of being able to order 4:56 from the factory very cool option. But in my case I bought my jlu used and the knocked 8k off the price, it was only a year old and I actually got a deal for the going times we are in. I appreciate your knowledge! And I think I honestly may end up on 35s and not playing the measuring contest that is going on in my head and being practical

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Makes perfect since and please don’t think I was trying to be a smart ass lol. I like the fact of being able to order 4:56 from the factory very cool option. But in my case I bought my jlu used and the knocked 8k off the price, it was only a year old and I actually got a deal for the going times we are in. I appreciate your knowledge! And I think I honestly may end up on 35s and not playing the measuring contest that is going on in my head and being practical
No worries man. I figured it was an honest question. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do. There’s definitely no one right way to build a Jeep, but I think you’ll be happy with 35s and 2”. 37s are badass, but pretty unnecessary for most trails, and a very costly upgrade for a Willys.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
As someone with a 3.5” lift and 39’s, I can say you should be happy with 35’s and a more modest lift. If you fear regret, don’t. Save the money to go all out if you jump past 35’s. I’m talking tires, chopping the rear pinch seams, and 1-ton axles (with accompanying drag link, tie rod, and ball joints to match). It’s a slippery slope past 35’s, if you just do tires and lift for 37’s you’re either lucky, a way better mechanic than me, or accepting flaws in steering, stability, and/or maintenance costs.

OP
OP

Thegreatpunkn

First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu willys
As someone with a 3.5” lift and 39’s, I can say you should be happy with 35’s and a more modest lift. If you fear regret, don’t. Save the money to go all out if you jump past 35’s. I’m talking tires, chopping the rear pinch seams, and 1-ton axles (with accompanying drag link, tie rod, and ball joints to match). It’s a slippery slope past 35’s, if you just do tires and lift for 37’s you’re either lucky, a way better mechanic than me, or accepting flaws in steering, stability, and/or maintenance costs.
I agree, and I didn’t buy this jlu for a toy it’s my daily you know lol. 35s seems much more practical for my needs and 37s seem to be a over kill and a measurement game in my head.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
To help answer the question of 35's vs 37's, here some back ground info on my MT JLR on 37's

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-2-door-rubicon-bikini-build.48532/

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! After reading so many forums I’m still undecided! 2020_08_08 2600

3.5" RK Lift, Long Arm conversion in back, Mid arm in the front.
The axles have been trussed and Hydr bump stops added.
Have not regeared yet.

IMHO, 37's are nice. 35's will do the job. However, thinking of going to 38's in the future.

My $0.015 worth... Build it the way you want. If you like the look of 37's, go with 37's and then get everything to match.

The hard question to ask yourself, would it be better to trade in the Wyliss Jeep and upgrade to a JLR to get Dana 44's, lockers, etc. Tuff call. All depends on one's budget and how hard you want to wheel your rig. All I can say is that on the trail, front and rear lockers make a huge difference. For this obstacle below, tried to make it up and over the ledge (2nd photo) and the JLR could not climb it. Backed up, turned on the front locker and drivers tire was able to climb up and over the rock ledge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! After reading so many forums I’m still undecided! IMG_3192
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! After reading so many forums I’m still undecided! IMG_3213

Of course you can add all the goodies of JLR axles into a Wyliss. It's just a matter of time and money and how how hard you are going to wheel your rig.

And like all things related to a modified Jeep, should I go with Dana 60's or bigger (e.g., a set of Currie axles) or upgrade the Dana 44's with RCV's and Chromoly axle shafts. Just have to love being Jeep poor.
Sponsored

Last edited: