help a nooB offroad wannabe out 8; - recovery gear essentials

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not in Utah. Expect no cell service and credit cards are nothing more than plastic scrapers. Adjusting risk tolerance, self-recovery skills and being very nice and friendly to anyone you might encounter will be significantly more useful.
It was a joke.
We have no cell coverage in about 95% of the areas we wheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP

nooBoffroader

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Clubs

A cell phone and credit card will get you out of any situation
HaHaHa

Thanks all others for voicing opinions - I am getting a good flavor for it.
I want to start with light overlanding / off-roading, (like mosquito pass road near FairPlay, CO), or the pine barrens in NJ (I live here for now)

If it works out, I can upgrade the equipment as my experience grows and informs me as to what is really needed. I am starting with inexpensive - but well branded - basics. Hard to turn down a Warn 10K steel rope winch for $250, even with shipping from Chynah included.
If it turns out overlanding is not for me - I'll sell that cr@p to some other mall crawler

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just by a generic winch accessory kit to get you started, that will provide the basic tools needed to use the winch

Sponsored

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
Garmin inReach Mini 2 or something equivalent for communication when nothing works + credit cards, lots of em and ensure they aren't maxed out buying junk for Jeep

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
My winch is my best recovery gear.

I have a tree saver, soft shackle x2, snatch block ring x2.

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata
I'm just a beach/sand guy, but nonetheless I want to be able to get myself unstuck or help someone who is stuck. I carry Bubba Rope Recovery Rope, Bubba Rope Tow Strap, and soft shackles. Also, Staun Tire Deflators, ViAir 400P air compressor, and traction boards...shovel, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, etc...

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I go pretty lightweight, but I also usually travel with 1-2 other vehicles and try to avoid situations where I’m likely to get stuck.
1 tree saver.
1 tow rope (I haven’t gotten around to getting a proper recovery rope)
1 soft shackle.
1 shovel.

A winch would be nice if I was alone more often. But what I have allows me to connect to another vehicle and get pulled out of simple situations.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I like soft shackles, they are lightweight, quiet driving over bumpy trails and store easily in compartments.

However I also have two different size steel shackles for standby. Look at your bumper and tow points. If there are any sharp edges you will find out after the soft shackles are cut and damaged next time you do a sharp angle recovery. You’re not always going to have the luxury of a straight aligned recovery.
Sponsored