Sponsored

Help. 19’ JLR was totaled, back in the market.

beswack

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]Hey guys, first post here. I’ll try to keep it short.

I was at a complete stop on the freeway and got smashed by two cars from behind. 5 month old rubicon. :(

Insurance hasn’t officially totaled it yet but repairs are at 30k and the frame is bent with laundry list of repairs. The guy listed almost every part in the damn Jeep.

I’ve already been browsing Jeeps as I’m expecting it to be totaled.

my main question is I found a prospective Jeep I’m interested in but the VIN pulls up that it’s been repaired for the weld issue and it hasn’t been repaired for the steering damper.

would you consider buying this or stay away? How do I even inspect the welds? Or should I just go new again, I’m just afraid it’ll be hard to get the same deal with the same options. Super frustrating. Any advice is appreciated

I’ll admit the pictures don’t look super bad but I was in it and it was a hell of an impact, I’m fairly confident the weight of it and how small the other car was kept me alive

2F136665-F447-4AFD-ABC7-259A5B86CCA2.jpeg

FB3A4E68-5DEA-4550-919A-2CE5912AB380.jpeg
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
If the welds were fixed, and I am assuming they were because its been disclosed, I would consider it. The steering recall should take 15-30 minutes at a dealer.

That being said, I would definitely compare the price of the used one to a new one. It seems like prices keep coming down on the JL because FCA is making so many of them. Ordering may not be an option for you since I am assuming you are in a rental until you get something new, and ordering may take a week or a few months.

OP
OP

beswack

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
If the welds were fixed, and I am assuming they were because its been disclosed, I would consider it. The steering recall should take 15-30 minutes at a dealer.

That being said, I would definitely compare the price of the used one to a new one. It seems like prices keep coming down on the JL because FCA is making so many of them. Ordering may not be an option for you since I am assuming you are in a rental until you get something new, and ordering may take a week or a few months.
Mine had almost every option minus cold weather group, steel bumpers, and matching fenders and paid 44, the one I’m looking at has those 3 options plus everything I had and is listed at 41 with 4400 miles, only it’s an 18’ and mine was a 19’. I agree ordering would be difficult as you described my situation, but I’m still browsing the dealers every day.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Mine had almost every option minus cold weather group, steel bumpers, and matching fenders and paid 44, the one I’m looking at has those 3 options plus everything I had and is listed at 41 with 4400 miles, only it’s an 18’ and mine was a 19’. I agree ordering would be difficult as you described my situation, but I’m still browsing the dealers every day.
That doesn't sound like a bad deal, basically saving about $1 for every mile driven. If you are still going with a two door, its even harder to find a Rubicon on the lot, especially if the powertrain choices matter to you. The options only matter if you want them (I love the cold weather group, but it gets cold here, but it also helps comfort if the top is down). I don't know how you plan on paying, but if its used and financed, sometimes that involves higher interest rates than a new one.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would consider new or find another used. Why bother with a questionable frame? I'd jump on a new 2019 with the $2K incentives or find another used one without stories.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So you had a two door for 44? My 4 door sky one touch with cold weather was 48 to order. Build what you want and shave 8-9 percent and you should be able to get that if you’re willing to take a trip. I’d still consider ordering a 2020.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Glad you’re ok! Jeeps can be replaced. Good luck with your search. If you’re wanting a 19 JLUR I might know a guy selling one.

Brett

OP
OP

beswack

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Glad you’re ok! Jeeps can be replaced. Good luck with your search. If you’re wanting a 19 JLUR I might know a guy selling one.

Brett
Here in California? I was pretty particular to the 2 door but after the accident I’ve been considering the 4 just to have more weight.

OP
OP

beswack

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
So you had a two door for 44? My 4 door sky one touch with cold weather was 48 to order. Build what you want and shave 8-9 percent and you should be able to get that if you’re willing to take a trip. I’d still consider ordering a 2020.
What do you mean take a trip? I’d be willing to travel to save money for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

beswack

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I would consider new or find another used. Why bother with a questionable frame? I'd jump on a new 2019 with the $2K incentives or find another used one without stories.
The 2 doors just seem a little harder to come by and this one had everything I wanted for a decent price. I mean I can definitely afford the rubi but I’m not rich and every thousand bucks makes a difference for me in my current situation, so the 4-5k less on this one seemed appealing

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
What do you mean take a trip? I’d be willing to travel to save money for sure.
I paid 8.75% under invoice. There are pockets of dealers where 8-9% under can be had but usually means traveling. Can’t say where on the west coast you’d find these deals. Around Washington DC there are about 6 dealers battling out these prices.

Ask in the purchase/ordering forum section.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Nice thing about finding one local is you can drive it and see how the steering is. New or used. If you travel to get one , it's pot luck. You fly or drive 2 or 3 hours and it wanders all over. Time waster. Cant trust dealer either. They're still denying there is even an issue. I bought my 18 JLUR used, and paid 40K. Was not loaded, but pretty good. Had to add my own tow and heated seats, and has the 7" radio which is very nice actually. I would lowball them because the weld repair. It will effect your resale if that matters to you.
Sponsored