Hellwig Swaybar - Best Mod Yet

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
Wanted to share that I just installed the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. WOW - what a difference. has to be the best bang for buck mod I've had on either of my JL's yet. the Jeep handles noticeably better with no perceptible change in ride quality. I'm sure the hard core off roaders on here wouldn't be interested here, but for those of us that use their Jeep primarily on the street, I would recommend this upgrade.

https://www.rubitrux.com/hellwig-7775-rear-sway-bar-for-jeep-jl.html
Sponsored

marsh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 392
Thanks for posting this. I was thinking the 392 already had a larger sway bar but yes having the rear stay flatter would make a real difference on the road. How much thicker was this than the stock one?

OP
OP
Brosef

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
Thanks for posting this. I was thinking the 392 already had a larger sway bar but yes having the rear stay flatter would make a real difference on the road. How much thicker was this than the stock one?
just measured it and it looks like it's 22mm (0.89in). also, note that there are two settings for stiffness for the bar. I elected for the stiffer of the two. you can see the two mounting holes in the second picture

Hellwig_1.jpg

Hellwig_2.jpg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You find that it drives better with a stiffer rear sway bar? Perhaps it the lift/tires/other mods I have done, but I find that my Jeep tends to feel slightly loose and tail happy in corners especially when it’s wet. Stiffening the rear to induce even more oversteer seems counterintuitive to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brosef

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
You find that it drives better with a stiffer rear sway bar? Perhaps it the lift/tires/other mods I have done, but I find that my Jeep tends to feel slightly loose and tail happy in corners especially when it’s wet. Stiffening the rear to induce even more oversteer seems counterintuitive to me.
I'm on the stock suspension for the most part (just a 0.5" spacer up front along with the mopar LCA's and metal cloak UCA's). I haven't driven hard enough to unsettle the rear or notice any looseness, even in the wet. you must be a braver driver than I am.

I can tell you that the Jeep feels far more planted than it did before. I know that basic suspension engineering would tell you that a stiffer rear would create more oversteer, but the limits of traction are so far beyond what I would consider safe in a tall vehicle on public roads anyways that it doesn't come into play (esp. on a live axle suspension). maybe having a Jeep that sways and feels more tippy keeps you from driving too quick and there's a safety benefit in that, but I like the flatter handling.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
On any vehicle that’s an understeering pig a stiffer rear sway bar (up to a point) tends to be an improvement. Most vehicles are designed intentionally to tend toward understeer naturally for the sake of safety, less likely for the average driver to lose control of an understeering vehicle than an oversteering one. But my Jeep tends to oversteer already.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
On any vehicle that’s an understeering pig a stiffer rear sway bar (up to a point) tends to be an improvement. Most vehicles are designed intentionally to tend toward understeer naturally for the sake of safety, less likely for the average driver to lose control of an understeering vehicle than an oversteering one. But my Jeep tends to oversteer already.
Have you tried disconnecting the rear sway bar completely? I’ve tossed around the idea for articulation reasons, as the JL is the only Jeep I’ve ever owned (10+) that still has a rear sway bar on it. If ditching it helps with oversteer I can sell the wife on the idea as it’s not just for wheel travel gain.

rubiland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited 392
Had this on my Power Wagon, was night day with it. I wonder how that stiffness will
Impact the Offroad days.