Sponsored

Hellwig 7775 Rear Sway Bar for Jeep JL worth it?

Fogducker

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1219 JLU rubicon 2016 ram power wagon
I installed the Hellwig rear sway bar, I do a lot of hwy driving pulling a small 16' Airstream Basecamp travel trailer.
Big difference in handling, definitely the best up grade I've done.
Have the exact same set up for towing my Basecamp, the JL handles like a champ, definitely the best mod I've done.
Sponsored

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Which hole did you guys end up using on the sway bar?

One is a stiffer setting (which one is it, the one closest towards the front of the car or towards the rear)?

Clearly I'm a newbie here.

Thanks in advance.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Which hole did you guys end up using on the sway bar?

One is a stiffer setting (which one is it, the one closest towards the front of the car or towards the rear)?

Clearly I'm a newbie here.

Thanks in advance.
The hole closer to the bend in the bar is the stiffer one

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Does anyone do much off roading with this sway bar? How much flex do you lose? I have a 3.5 metalcloak lift and on windy day and passing semis it's a handful. I'm getting ready to take a trip to Colorado. I will be driving across western Kansas and eastern Colorado. There's usually a lot of wind. I don't want to kill my articulation though.

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Add me to the list of those who’ve installed the Hellwig rear sway bar and absolutely love it.
I have a JLU lifted with an AEV Dualsport 2.5 lift along with Clayton lower control arms, front track bar, steer smarts drag link along with 35x12.5 tires. My Jeep is light so I got about 3.5 inches + of lift. I knew I had some sway but didn’t realize exactly how much until I installed the Hellwig sway bar.
After the install I drove all my normal daily routes and couldn’t believe how much better my Jeep drives and feels. As expected there is significantly less body roll during low and high speed turns and curves. But what really has impressed me with the Hellwig sway bar is the reduced head toss and straighter tracking on uneven back roads.
The install was straight forward but I did have to remove the rear sway bar spacer blocks that are included in the AEV Dualsport lift.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm missing something here. Is the difference the reduction in the amount of twist that you get through the actual bar versus stock? Thus, I suppose, keeping the left and right sides closer in line and therefore more stable?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm missing something here. Is the difference the reduction in the amount of twist that you get through the actual bar versus stock? Thus, I suppose, keeping the left and right sides closer in line and therefore more stable?
Yes…. The Helwig is 7/8” diameter 4140 chromoly and comes with poly bushings.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes…. The Helwig is 7/8” diameter 4140 chromoly and comes with poly bushings.
Hmm that does sound nice. I’m all about improving road manners.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm that does sound nice. I’m all about improving road manners.
Yeah… I wanna pull the trigger on this, but I wanna see video evidence of how much it’s gonna restrict my articulation. Google search hasn’t shown me anything yet. There’s a dude standing beside his Jeep in one vid saying that it doesn’t but that’s not gonna cut it, hell, I could do that….:facepalm:

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah… I wanna pull the trigger on this, but I wanna see video evidence of how much it’s gonna restrict my articulation. Google search hasn’t shown me anything yet. There’s a dude standing beside his Jeep in one vid saying that it doesn’t but that’s not gonna cut it, hell, I could do that….:facepalm:
Don't you have the 3-link rear control arm setup, that provides more rear articulation than the 4-link? I've been super pleased with the front and rear .770 Antirocks. The rear track bar relocation bracket and the frame side reinforcement made the rear feel more solid and planted, while reducing head toss from tail wag over bumps. I don't tow or carry overlanding weight, so the .770 bars and the rear links set on the firmer of the two arm positions works great for setup.

Just curious about why you're wanting to reduce the 3-link flexibility. The hellwigs were more popular on the JK's because they were a bit heavier than the JL's, and more importantly, the rear shocks were mounted on the inboard side of the frame which gives the rear axle more leverage and increased roll characteristics than a similar height JL. That's why the Antirocks caused on road drive ability compromises on JK's, but I'm still comfortably slinging my built up JL through through the curves quicker than when it was in stock form.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you have the 3-link rear control arm setup, that provides more rear articulation than the 4-link? I've been super pleased with the front and rear .770 Antirocks. The rear track bar relocation bracket and the frame side reinforcement made the rear feel more solid and planted, while reducing head toss from tail wag over bumps. I don't tow or carry overlanding weight, so the .770 bars and the rear links set on the firmer of the two arm positions works great for setup.

Just curious about why you're wanting to reduce the 3-link flexibility. The hellwigs were more popular on the JK's because they were a bit heavier than the JL's, and more importantly, the rear shocks were mounted on the inboard side of the frame which gives the rear axle more leverage and increased roll characteristics than a similar height JL. That's why the Antirocks caused on road drive ability compromises on JK's, but I'm still comfortably slinging my built up JL through through the curves quicker than when it was in stock form.
Hey buddy…… yeah my set up is working pretty good, I’m in no way gonna reduce my flex, not to worry there, lol. I’m just thinking out loud. Like I mentioned in the post you read, I’d love to see a comparison to see how much it affects the flex. You know me…. Always looking over the fence at the green grass…….🤣

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm running one and it does restrict somewhat as expected.

I just undo one of the sway-bar links lower bolts and tie wrap link to the sway-bar as a poor mans disconnect if going on tougher trails and put back when airing up. Takes 5 minutes of rolling in the dirt.

It is worth the hassles as on-road is much improved with a lot less roll.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The price shot up since this post!
Any other viable options?
Sponsored