www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
WHOAH! I have been going to Moab forever for mountainbiking and hiking, and have only recently gotten into four-wheeling. Kayaking, climbing and MTB come first, though I am admittedly geeked on wheeling right now seeing as how this is my first year of Wrangler ownership.
Last weekend, I rode two mtb laps on Slickrock and drove two laps on Hell's. Sounds like we might get along just fine! And I don't have many friends who 4-wheel at all. All my friends are paddlers and mountainbikers and climbers, and almost none 4-wheel.
I am a timid wheeler, too. I spend a lot of time scouting and taking video, and driving very slowly. I think Poison Spider is the hardest thing I ever plan to drive.
Find me on Facebook if you're on there--Mike Griffin. We should do a trip. There is a fun 4x4 trail outside Canon City, very near the Oil Well Flats mtb area, if you're interested in a multi-sport weekend closer to the Front Range than Moab.
Sounds great Mike. We'll do it this season. I'll bet between the two of us we've seen/traveled most of the greater Moab area ;-).

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Then there's this video of a Crown Vic doing Hell's Revenge.

Shhhhhush it. Don’t tell anybody……we can let anyone know this! :CWL:

It’s definitely a fun trail. 99% easy with amazing views with a few challenging sections. It’s always nice to see a video of it.

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yeah its really not a hard trail ride. I was thinking a car could make it most of the way. I guess this proves it. The optional courses is where the fun picks up.
Not sure about all this. They don't show the car doing any of the rocky stuff; just the smooth parts. No way he did the whole trail in that thing. Guessing he turned back and returned the way he came. But... could be wrong!

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
Not sure about all this. They don't show the car doing any of the rocky stuff; just the smooth parts. No way he did the whole trail in that thing. Guessing he turned back and returned the way he came. But... could be wrong!
I did Hell's Revenge ~8 years ago with a rental Jeep. I had to take detours to really make the main trail more exciting. I even did Escalator in reverse when i made it halfway up and couldn't go any further (no front locker).

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Love to see a couple pics of how your ASFIR plates held up.
Great video BTW.
John and team: What do you guys think? Here are pics of the skid damage.
The deal: I have Asfir aluminum oil pan and transmission skid plates. I hit the both hard on Hell's Revenge:
The pro's:
  • There is zero bending, crunching, structural deformation.
  • The mounts and bolts seem unphazed: nothing wiggles, flexes, etc. Feels super-solid.
The con's:
  • There are deep GOUGES in the aluminum, as opposed to the scratches I expected to find.
So I have to wonder...
  1. Would those deep gouges have happened with a steel skid, or would the steel skid have just had scratches.
  2. Do I care? Is this nothing to worry about? Or do we think that if I run 4-5 more hard trails and scrape hard over rocks on those skids again that I am going to ultimately just tear through the aluminum skid as if it were cloth?

I might ultimately re-post this as a separate thread to the forum.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Oil1
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Oil2
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Oil3
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Oil4
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Oil5
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon OilWide
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Tran1
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Tran2
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Tran3

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The deal: I have Asfir aluminum oil pan and transmission skid plates. I hit the both hard on Hell's Revenge:
The pro's:
  • The mounts and bolts seem unphazed: nothing wiggles, flexes, etc. Feels super-solid.
The con's:
  • There are deep GOUGES in the aluminum, as opposed to the scratches I expected to find.
So I have to wonder...
  1. Would those deep gouges have happened with a steel skid, or would the steel skid have just had scratches.
  2. Do I care? Is this nothing to worry about? Or do we think that if I run 4-5 more hard trails and scrape hard over rocks on those skids again that I am going to ultimately just tear through the aluminum skid as if it were cloth?

They would not have happened with steel but there would be some pretty deep scratches. Looks like they did amazing and for the wheeling I do, they're perfect. Thanks for the pics.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Same deal with my Artec aluminum skids - deep gauges on them. My Rock Hard steel skids on my JKUR that I had before just had scratches that I spray painted after every wheeling trip, and after 4 years had a bit of rust.

Neither of them bent or deformed. In the end I like the 200lbs savings :) One has no rust but deeper gauges, the other one had a bit of rust. Nothing is perfect, but on balance I'd do aluminum again.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I'd stay away from Escalator if you haven't spent some time on slickrock and especially after a few successful runs of Hell's. Ideally, 35" tires or larger with some additional width beyond your fenders. Air down. The obstacle is basically an easy climb into a small bowl, steep waterfall climb into another hole, then immediate second climb to a bigger hole before climbing out of that off-camber. I'd say not technically very difficult driving, but high-consequence if you don't get it right the first time, for sure.

Last November we were driving past a couple in a 4Runner TRDPROMAXOFFROADEXTREME scoping it out and my wife joke-challenged me, so I turned right and went up (without walking it). Note: I may do dumb things to impress her. When the front driver's wheel dropped out into and above the second bowl, and the passenger side kept climbing the wall, I had some questions about my decisions. Tire ended up fully dropped and about 3' above the ground and we tilted way to passenger side (slight scuff on rear passenger fender lip) before everything leveled out again. 4Runner couple sent us a video they took which was fun.

This was the pucker moment into the second bowl:
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Escalator 1

Transition to off-camber climb out:
Jeep Wrangler JL Hell's Revenge in a (mostly) stock Rubicon Escalator 2

Hell's Gate is another fun obstacle, but not one I like to do often.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Hell's Revenge was my favorite when I did Moab in October. My 2dr 80th Edition only has 33s, LSD and sway bar disconnects and yes, I did plenty of scraping, but nothing damaged. I'm sure any stock JL could do it as long as you didn't get off the main trail and into the extreme stuff like the hot tubs, escalator, etc.

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The pro's:
The con's:
So I have to wonder...

thanks for sharing, I will be putting these skids on as soon as I plan to start wheeling this year (no sense adding weight before necessary)
Post up your CO wheeling trips and I’d love to see you guys on the trails! If your in for overnights I’ll be doing some wheeling camp trips for sure

Encino Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Java Developer

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
Awesome video, and the music was great, have watched video of that trail many times, yours was top notch, thanks.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Great stuff! Looks like your (mostly) stock Rubi did great. Were you into your lockers much? I haven't done this trail yet in my (lifted on 35's) Sport but hope to one day.
you dont need lockers for hells revenge.
Sponsored