Hello,

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
I have been interested in the Jeep Wrangler for some time and now wondering where to start?

I have always wanted a Jeep Rubicon, as I believe it is the best but financial discrepancies dictate me from doing so without going into debt.

I was trying to focus on Engine types cause that is what determines or helps break down the models.

I do not know much about cars but I am determined to read up more on it.

For now, I am trying to determine between the 2020 models Wrangler models, 4 doors(Unlimited). Unless the 2019 variants are most likely the same(hopefully, with the price drop)

I do not mind getting the bare minimum as long as I know that I can make upgrades to that same vehicle later on.

Preferably, an Automatic. 3.6L eTorque, 2.0L Turbo w/ ESS, or 3.6L Diesel.

With the budget, I am more likely going to go with Sport S variant. so that limits my choices.(do inform me if I am wrong)

Basic things are cosmetic like color(Black), 3 Piece Hard Top, Cargo Tub Liner, All Weather Floor Mat, Black Steps.

I want to know what is the better mileage option overall? Additional Package options? Does the standard come with A/C and/or heating?(I think it said manual but was not quite sure what that meant)

Thank you!
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I do not mind getting the bare minimum as long as I know that I can make upgrades to that same vehicle later on.
I'll let others answer the rest.

But listen very closely to this advice:

If you aren't going to upgrade it above what a stock Rubicon is at, you're just going to be spending (wasting) a whole lot more time and money later. Seeing you don't know much about cars and will have to resort to paying others to do the work, this will definitely be what's going to happen.

Always order it with all the options you wanted from the get go.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
The big things you get with the Rubicon are:
--Dana 44 front axle
--Lockers
--4.10 gearing (3.73 on diesels)
--Better transfer case

Personally I would rather start with that stuff but I do take my Jeeps off road for pretty serious stuff. All of that is overkill for forest service roads. There is a good argument to start with the stripped model and upgrade as you go along. That will be more expensive, but you will probably end up with better individual pieces.

I upgraded the gears on my TJ Rubicon and upgraded the axle shafts (but didn't replace the Dana 44's), but kept the lockers and transfer case. That one made it across the Rubicon Trail with no problems. (of course it's lifted, bigger tires, tube fenders, rock rails, upgraded steering, tougher diff covers, and undercarriage armor)

If you get serious about off roading you will spend money so start saving now :)

OP
OP

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
As much as I want the Rubicon, it would have to be some time later. So Sport S should suffice. Is there much of a difference in the Rubicon to Sport S? Any preference on transmission?

My upgrades would be kind of basic. Little things here and there. Not planning to go over mountains but enough to commute, probably road trip every so often. Gas efficient as a Jeep can be. But not enough of a hit to the wallet.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I want the Rubicon, it would have to be some time later. So Sport S should suffice. Is there much of a difference in the Rubicon to Sport S? Any preference on transmission?

My upgrades would be kind of basic. Little things here and there. Not planning to go over mountains but enough to commute, probably road trip every so often. Gas efficient as a Jeep can be. But not enough of a hit to the wallet.
It sounds like a Rubicon would be a waste of money for you. Transmission is personal preference. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, then manual transmission will get tiring. The most gas efficient is the diesel but you take a big $6k hit up front so it would take a lot of fill ups to catch up. The 2.0L 4 cylinder is probably a better choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
Thanks.

Would the basic 3.6L(Original & eTorque) be equivalent to the 2.0L(Turbo & eTorque) variant? Is there a major difference in towing capabilities between the Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon models?

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel economy is about the same on both. So is HP and torque.

Towing capacity for all 4 door Wranglers is 3500 lbs.
Towing capacity for all 2 door Wranglers is 2000 lbs.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks.

Would the basic 3.6L(Original & eTorque) be equivalent to the 2.0L(Turbo & eTorque) variant? Is there a major difference in towing capabilities between the Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon models?
You are asking a lot of questions based on personal preferences, and this question has been 'debated' on his forum to no ends. I think it's best to just go out and test drive them both and form your own conclusions.

Here is a chart to help you along in terms of specs alone:
2019-wrangler-turbo-4-versus-n-a-v6-dyno-test.jpg

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have been interested in the Jeep Wrangler for some time and now wondering where to start?

I have always wanted a Jeep Rubicon, as I believe it is the best but financial discrepancies dictate me from doing so without going into debt.

I was trying to focus on Engine types cause that is what determines or helps break down the models.

I do not know much about cars but I am determined to read up more on it.

For now, I am trying to determine between the 2020 models Wrangler models, 4 doors(Unlimited). Unless the 2019 variants are most likely the same(hopefully, with the price drop)

Preferably, an Automatic. 3.6L eTorque, 2.0L Turbo w/ ESS, or 3.6L Diesel.

With the budget, I am more likely going to go with Sport S variant. so that limits my choices.(do inform me if I am wrong)

Basic things are cosmetic like color(Black), 3 Piece Hard Top, Cargo Tub Liner, All Weather Floor Mat, Black Steps.

I want to know what is the better mileage option overall? Additional Package options? Does the standard come with A/C and/or heating?(I think it said manual but was not quite sure what that meant)

Thank you!
The Sport S comes with a surprising amount of packages and can be setup with almost all the bells and whistles you will find on a Rubicon. Biggest difference is the lack of lockers and disconnecting sway bars. Usually what I do when I have a customer interested in such things is we sit down or over phone go through all the options. Figure out what works for you specifically and what you may not need so you aren't paying for unnecessary features. I'd be glad to take the time to do this if you want, just reach out to me.

OP
OP

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
I just wanted to know beforehand, to get an understanding of what I am expecting on paper. So, if most likely, I can just pickup and go. The engine variations, are a big thing because I wanted to know if there a major preference between them. Being my biggest purchase. Why does one prefer one engine over the other? Does it provide something significantly different or it is just really about taste? Apologies, if this comes as frustration.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I think you need to drive them to make your engine choice. Everybody on here will tell you that their’s is the best lol.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The turbo and the V6 drive very similar. The turbo gets a little better mileage but they both have similar power. The diesel gets better millage and has better torque which can be nice for off roading but it is a pricey upgrade. The e-torque motors are nice as well but don't have a huge impact on drive quality. It is a little nicer at a stop light and has a little more torque off the line but i isn't a game changer.

OP
OP

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
That was what I was wondering. I am in no way a professional or even intermediate in this field.

If Turbo and V6 are similar but Turbo inches a little more(mileage), I would choose Turbo. Unless there is a price difference. Diesel is a ways off for me to justify. eTorque, is that similar to Turbo and V6, in that range? and price difference?

Thank you!

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well now they changed things for 2020 so the e-torque is only available on the Sahara. So if you are looking at Sport you can rule those out. The Turbo pricing is also different for 2020 and is now less expensive then the V6.